Is the Canon EOS RP the next camera up?

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
I wonder what features can they drop. The frame rate is pretty low already, the body is not that special either - what is that cheap rebel-like directional pad?
They probably put a 6D sensor and lower quality EVF.

I agree with your perspective that the R doesn't have a lot of fat to trim (relative to the competition) to make this lean offering. I don't see how they can NOT reuse the 6d2 sensor unless they are going to buy someone else's sensor. But that seems highly unlikely as this is the camera where Canon is going to reap in the majority of their FF dollars, and margin would suffer if they don't use their own sensor.

If someone had an afternoon to burn, they could do a detailed comparisin of a 5d4 to a 6d2 and probably predict with good accuracy which features from the R will be gimped to make the RP. Fewer focus points and fewer AF modes would be an obvoius place to start.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
Canon Europe just polled the feedback of CPS platinum members.
They are looking for feedback, and it was a pretty detailed questionnaire
that for the first time in many years didn't make the impression to be totally
off topic at all.

That said, I am not too anxious about new RF lenses, as I see the
mount adapter with filter slot to be one of the most welcome asset
of the last few years. I'd lose that option with all RF glass.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I have to stick up for Canon and R. I FREEKING LOVE IT!!! Been shooting for over 15 years. All Canon. Currently shoot with 2 - 1DX markII's, 1 5DmarkIV, and 1 R. MY ALL TIME FAVORITE RUN AND GUN SET UP is having a 1DX markII + 16-35MM LIII on a Ronin S, and then the R strapped on my Holdfast money maker with a 24-105mmLII. Handheld with the R in unbelievable! The image stabilization and autofocus is SUPERB! I don't mind the crop at all! The 4K footage is gorgeous. The sensor is INCREDIBLE reliable with auto whitebalance and just color in general! I've fallen in love with using the LCD screen to move the focus point, so much that I don't miss the joystick at all on that camera. If the RP is a downgrade from the R, I won't be purchasing. But the second Canon releases a full frame mirrorless with 120fps video I will probably let go of my 1DX's. This video was shot with a go pro 7 on a gorilla pod and the R handheld.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Where is the 1D X equivalent? Pros are never going to give up the 1D X bodies for the R body unless and until there is a pro body in the lineup. Canon might be doomed indeed.

I see you are new here. Here's how it works. It would be pretty much impossible for a camera company to produce 3 or 4 brand new cameras simultaneously. So, over the next year or two, they will have at least 3 or 4 R versions.

I bet you knew that. ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Less specs than the R, r they having a laugh! It’s probably designed to sell in the 3rd world. They should name it RIP (rest in peace) instead of RP.
Yes, I’m sure you’re right because of course in the developed world cameras costing more than $2000 wildly outsell less expensive models. I think we will have a laugh at you, and Canon will laugh all the way to the bank.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
Anyone want to make a price pool for the RP? I know $1,499 is the current group think price, but I’m guessing it will be $1799. Within a month of first ship, there will be a rebate on it for $100 off. Within 3 months of first ship, CPW street price with warranty will be $1,499.

Canon plays pricing games and within a year the msrp is just a fantasy. Just look at the 6D (current msrp is $1,699) and 6D2 (current msrp is $1,799). Both numbers are irrelevant at this point, even the Canon store is actually selling the 6D2 at $1,299. Anyway, my point is that Canon knows $1,499 is the price this camera is going to actually sell at shortly after launch, so they are going to charge $1,799 for those who want it nearly on day one before the pricing games begin.

Upvote 0
I have to stick up for Canon and R. I FREEKING LOVE IT!!! Been shooting for over 15 years. All Canon. Currently shoot with 2 - 1DX markII's, 1 5DmarkIV, and 1 R. MY ALL TIME FAVORITE RUN AND GUN SET UP is having a 1DX markII + 16-35MM LIII on a Ronin S, and then the R strapped on my Holdfast money maker with a 24-105mmLII. Handheld with the R in unbelievable! The image stabilization and autofocus is SUPERB! I don't mind the crop at all! The 4K footage is gorgeous. The sensor is INCREDIBLE reliable with auto whitebalance and just color in general! I've fallen in love with using the LCD screen to move the focus point, so much that I don't miss the joystick at all on that camera. If the RP is a downgrade from the R, I won't be purchasing. But the second Canon releases a full frame mirrorless with 120fps video I will probably let go of my 1DX's. This video was shot with a go pro 7 on a gorilla pod and the R handheld.

Nice video. I really like go pro 7 for vacation and family footage. The file are very stabilize.

As for the lower tier FF mirrorless, I think it's pretty much confirm the previous interview to "follow the money". Lower price camera will generate alot of sales but it won't the camera most pro enthuasist and pro are looking for.

I also have to consider what kind of pro Canon FF mirroless they will release. It seems from previous release, it's most likely to have features we all expect (dual card slot, IBIS, decent 4K) but it won't anything revolutionary and most likely expensive compare to competitions. I don't think I can wait for Canon to take professional FF segment seriously anymore.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
As for the lower tier FF mirrorless, I think it's pretty much confirm the previous interview to "follow the money".

But what does 'follow the monehy' actually mean? I agree with the logic that this means a lower end model first, but the higher ends models have a higher profit margin which is why nearly all announcements on MFTs are now at the $1,500 - $2,000 bracket with lenses to match (admittedly they have already built a stable of good models at the lower end) and reflect Sony's targeted markets.
Knowing how Canon is very thorough about its market research then it depends what this research tells them. If there is more expectation at the
If research shows that there is a higher level of expectation at the $3,000 level (5DSR) then surely that will be a potentially better return? Maybe expectation is lower at the $1,200- $1,500 level and given the much-lauded size benefits of mirrorless, it may also be impacted by the M series?

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
If true, this means the EOS R, with an obsolete sensor, will be follow up with an even less capable camera with another recycled sensor. Why produce such great new lenses and then release cameras like these? Canon must have something much more exciting in development.
Why?

Because they sell for a better profit margin, by far, and a lot more units.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

gzroxas

Canon EOS R / Travel and Landscape
Oct 3, 2018
Italy
Would it be possible that the new Camera although being less expensive might have some more advanced features or controls (and not a revamped 6D II sensor please)? 2000usd would be okay as well
The R might have been the “I absolutely want Mirrorless Canon” choice, while this could be a more well thought out product?
I hope so at least ahah

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Where is the 1D X equivalent? Pros are never going to give up the 1D X bodies for the R body unless and until there is a pro body in the lineup. Canon might be doomed indeed.
Canon needs 10+ FPS with close to perfect AF and at least double the current EOS-R battery life before can even think about an 1DX-like mirrorless.
At the moment they can't even manage 8 FPS with autofocus. And sport photographers are not going to mess with adapters when they have 1DX and native lenses. So i would say a sports camera is at least 2-3 years away.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014

They could already make a PRO body, like an 5DS/R replacement. That does not need high FPS or super autofocus, altough the Sony A7R can already do 10 FPS at 42MP.

Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
Would it be possible that the new Camera although being less expensive might have some more advanced features or controls (and not a revamped 6D II sensor please)? 2000usd would be okay as well
The R might have been the “I absolutely want Mirrorless Canon” choice, while this could be a more well thought out product?
I hope so at least ahah

I've pondered that too. The idea that the R would be an oddball camera that didn't fit into the lineup long term. But I feel like they waited so long to enter the FF milc market, it seems unlikely that the R was that much of a knee-jerk product. Prepare yourself for the 6d2 sensor reuse too, no way around that one (I'd love be wrong about that though).

Upvote 0