Is there still hope that we see in-body stabilization in the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III?

Canon has been so wedded to the benefit of having IS in the lens rather than the body that it may feel as though they are eating crow to relent. However being the last man standing is not enviable for marketing when comparing to the competition, so ultimately crow will be on the menu. Customers are certainly eager whether or not there is any significant benefit.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'm wondering if it would be more of a video focused Electronic IBIS similar to what it being used on the new C500 Mark II. This could be added to "any" ILC without significant hardware issues...as floating sensor IBIS has normally been limited to mirrorless systems. There are people arguing that this electronic IBIS can actually be more accurate, especially when combined with lens IS, as the gyro information being used is "actual" rather than predictive. Don't know if that's completely true, (electronic stabilization benefits from higher shutter speeds, which negates its usefulness in still shooting), but certainly, the computational side is the direction that most manufacturers are starting to look at.

EIS has been used for a while. It's decent in the EOS R, but you're limited to 1080 and a crop. Usually EIS is stacked on top of IBIS and OIS, an example would be the GH5. With enough practice, you can pull off a dolly shot hand held on the GH5.

Upvote 0
I don't think the 1DX3 bodies I saw at PPE were any thicker than current 1DX2 so I doesn't seem likely they could have had an IBIS mechanism built into them. I guess it's possible that they weren't the final chasis and there are other versions of the body in development. Doesn't seem likely.

The risk/value proposition looks like a loser to me. Not much gain and the potential for a lot of problems. The last 1DX is not the place to be trying out experimental hardware. Save it for the high MP mirror-less. Early adopters expect to get burned sometimes. 1DX purchasers do not.

Canon needs to get moving on IBIS though. They've given their competitora a 15 year head start and there are important things that can be accomplished with a positionable sensor (multi-sampling) that can't be done with in-lens IS. Image stabilization is only the beginning.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Adding to this:

If Canon were putting IBIS in the 1DxIII they would have made a big deal about it in their development announcement.

Not even sure why IBIS would be a priority for the 1DxIII line -- it's not a benefit for sports or other action.
It does have the best video specs of any DSLR though. They might consider IBIS based on that alone. As you said it has no tangible benefits for sports and wildlife(except for a few specific cases-bird portraits etc)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2019
By the time this camera hits the market, the specs it has will be oldscool.
Sony will be far far ahead of the game with another mirrorless camera that makes Canon shiver.

And yes, I am a Canon user. Seeing colleagues making the switch to camera's that are as sharp as a knife.
Making me look like an amateur with not even half the sharpness these small Sony's can achieve.

And please, stop framing me as an idiot. The truth hurts, and Canon needs to step up.
Increase RND, decrease prices.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Sony will be far far ahead of the game with another mirrorless camera that makes Canon shiver.

And yes, I am a Canon user. Seeing colleagues making the switch to camera's that are as sharp as a knife.
Making me look like an amateur with not even half the sharpness these small Sony's can achieve.

And please, stop framing me as an idiot. The truth hurts, and Canon needs to step up.
Increase RND, decrease prices.
Sony just released the a92. It is way behind the 1dx3 in most areas. So no. Sony will not release something that is going to outclass the 1dx3 any time soon

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Exactly.. I'm affraid so..
Sony only has to launch a silent mirrorless pro body just before Canon brings the MK III to market and Canon (camera dept.) will be out of business.

And please, stop framing me as an idiot.

Pfttttt. I tried hard not to label you, but...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Count me as a skeptic. Whatever Canon does decide to do, it is usually top notch, so if this shows up in the 1D line, I will be excited. But they also tend to release new tech on lower end models first and whatever makes to the 1Dx is proven/bulletproof. Example, DPAF came in first on the 70D, I believe.

If IBIS was coming to the 1D line, I would have thought we would have seen in on the M6II or 90D.

On the other hand, iTR was introduced in early 2012 with the 1D X. iTR required the new RGB+IR light meter that the 1D X also introduced to the Canon line.

The next camera to get iTR and an RGB+IR meter was the 7D Mark II in late 2014.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
It does have the best video specs of any DSLR though. They might consider IBIS based on that alone. As you said it has no tangible benefits for sports and wildlife(except for a few specific cases-bird portraits etc)
Yes, I did think about video. I still doubt this rumor, but if they did put it into the 1Dx III, I think it would be primarily to make it a more attractive camera for video shooters. And, since the few remaining professional photojournalists out there are increasingly expected to bring back both stills and video, features that would make it easier for still shooters to switch to video when needed might be a priority for the 1 series.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I seem to remember that all RF lenses with IS have 5 stops of stabilization.

But not all EF lenses that can be used on the RF bodies have 5 stop IS. Until Canon fills out the RF lens system, there will be a lot of folks using EF lenses on EF bodies.

The other thing one must consider is that IBIS is most effective at wider angles of view/shorter focal lengths. The same amount of camera movement creates more blur with a narrower angle of view. The same number of IBIS "stops" requires a larger movement of the sensor for longer lenses than for shorter lenses. Those "5 stop" numbers on zoom lenses used with IBIS systems are usually when the lens is zoomed all of the way out. If the focal length is doubled, then the effectiveness for an IBIS system drops to 2.5 stops.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Anyone says whatever they like so I do not see a reason why I shouldn't do the same.

NO IBIS for 1DxIII. There I said it! You know a cousin's cousin friend of brother in law etc.... :ROFLMAO:
Or common sense! It is a pro camera and If something works ...

And not really an issue. It will be an awesome camera anyway!

I just wish for more than 24Mpixels and the usual incremental improvements in low and high ISO (the 1DxII had major improvements in shadows to tell the truth).

Since Canon does not give us a small 1DxII let's have a big 5DIV :geek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Yes, I did think about video. I still doubt this rumor, but if they did put it into the 1Dx III, I think it would be primarily to make it a more attractive camera for video shooters. And, since the few remaining professional photojournalists out there are increasingly expected to bring back both stills and video, features that would make it easier for still shooters to switch to video when needed might be a priority for the 1 series.
I have a healthy dose of scepticism about this as well. Introducing an unproven(for canon in terms of durability) feature into a camera that cannot afford failures would surprise me. perhaps though. It is not an impossibility

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Plus, think of the timelines.....

Why would you only introduce new features in the body with the longest refresh cycles? Doesn't it make more sense to introduce something on the next body to get released? For example, look at flicker detection. It came out on the 7D2. Every body after that has the feature. Touch screen interface came out in low end bodies. If we were waitiong for it to come out in a 1 series body, then we would still be waiting. Then we have articulated screens, which most camera owners, with the notable exception of most 1 series users and many 5 series users, regard as a useful tool. Since it won't be on a 1 camera, should nobody get it?

Not all of the Rebel bodies have flicker reduction. The xx0D bodies do, but the xx00D bodies do not.

Upvote 0