Is this Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS USM a Buy? Advice pls!

I'm an R5 shooter and have been setting aside some $$$ in advance of an R5II announcement - until I recently came across a used EF 600mm F/4L IS USM - and now I'm torn. The RF 100-500 is the best telephoto glass I could afford and I expect I'll never be able to justify the cost of a RF 600mm. This used EF 600 is priced at $5K CAD by the original owner and I'm certain I could bargain a little more. I'm hesitating because I know that Canon will no longer perform repairs on this lens and I'm also still excited by an R5II - but 600mm's aren't readily available and I don't want to miss out on a good deal.

Is the EF 600mm F/4L IS USM even worth considering in 2024 or should I hold out for at least a mark II? Do you think the $$$ might be better used to upgrade my body? I suppose I could hold the $$$ and sell the RF 100-500 to fund the glass - but even that might be a bad idea?

I'd appreciate your input how you might think this one through?

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I'm an R5 shooter and have been setting aside some $$$ in advance of an R5II announcement - until I recently came across a used EF 600mm F/4L IS USM - and now I'm torn. The RF 100-500 is the best telephoto glass I could afford and I expect I'll never be able to justify the cost of a RF 600mm. This used EF 600 is priced at $5K CAD by the original owner and I'm certain I could bargain a little more. I'm hesitating because I know that Canon will no longer perform repairs on this lens and I'm also still excited by an R5II - but 600mm's aren't readily available and I don't want to miss out on a good deal.

Is the EF 600mm F/4L IS USM even worth considering in 2024 or should I hold out for at least a mark II? Do you think the $$$ might be better used to upgrade my body? I suppose I could hold the $$$ and sell the RF 100-500 to fund the glass - but even that might be a bad idea?

I'd appreciate your input how you might think this one through?

How are you intending to use the lens?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
A couple of points… First, it’s a very heavy lens. Personally, I can handhold the MkII but that update trimmed off 1.5 kg. Using a 5.7 kg lens means you’ll likely need to budget for support (gimbal head, possibly a new tripod) for it. Second, eBay lists several copies of the 600/4 IS MkI in the $4500-5000 CAD range, so I’m not sure that you’re getting a great deal, more like paying the going rate.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
A couple of points… First, it’s a very heavy lens. Personally, I can handhold the MkII but that update trimmed off 1.5 kg. Using a 5.7 kg lens means you’ll likely need to budget for support (gimbal head, possibly a new tripod) for it. Second, eBay lists several copies of the 600/4 IS MkI in the $4500-5000 CAD range, so I’m not sure that you’re getting a great deal, more like paying the going rate.
My tripod legs and head are both stated to support 20kg, but with even the ef 100-400 L ii (less than 2kg), the head will sink or if I'm on a slope it can start to topple over. I'm wondering if changing from the rubber pads to spikes can help, but usually I'm in a soft forest where I think the ground won't have hardness to hold spikes.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
My tripod legs and head are both stated to support 20kg, but with even the ef 100-400 L ii (less than 2kg), the head will sink or if I'm on a slope it can start to topple over.
With a supertele lens, a gimbal head is a far better option. The risk of a rig tipping over with a supertele on a ballhead is high.

Very few ballheads ‘fully’ support their load without dropping a little after you tighten them down, even when not close to their rated weight.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl
I'm wondering if changing from the rubber pads to spikes can help, but usually I'm in a soft forest where I think the ground won't have hardness to hold spikes.
My tripod has spikes and I find that it is more stable on soft undergrounds. With a bit of a push the spikes will go through the soft layer, where rubber pads will just wobble on the soft layer.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Birdshooter

R3 and R5
Oct 14, 2019
Not sure if the version 1 lens is still serviceable by Canon Canada, and they say the Version II lens will have parts available until 2025.
I listed mine for 8k but came to my senses, and took it down and will wait and see if Canon brings out any new lighter super telephotos in the future.
There is a version 2 lens for sale on one of the popular for sale sites, being offered from Toronto.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
The EF 600 II is some of the best glass ever made. I've borrowed it a couple of times. Each time I can handhold for short periods of time. Anything long, you will want a base, as Neuro mentions. For walking around, it has been fine with a good strap.

"Is it worth it?" depends on what you want to shoot. The RF 100-500L is also exceptional. At f/8, you might be hard pressed to tell the difference. But at f/4, you will be able to shoot in lower light situations, have faster shutter speeds, and have better bokeh.

Is that worth it to you?

I recently picked up an RF 200-800. My EF 500 II is still better, IMO, but the 200-800 has displaced it for a lot of purposes.

I also own the R5. I am unsure if I will get the R5II as the R5 is already serving my purposes so well.

Conversely, after you assess the benefits of the EF 600 II against your intended purposes, you have to weigh that against the likely incremental improvements to an already stellar camera. Will better control over an electronic shutter be worth it? Will faster than 20 fps be worth it? Will slightly better AF be worth it?

Not for nothing, 5000CAD is an amazing price. If that is in good shape and working well, that is the direction I would lean.

Upvote 0