Is this the Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III?

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I've been using the G7X first version and now G7X II underwater exclusively for 2 years now. Stellar results in a small package :)

I'd used a Canon PowerShot G7 back in 2007.. the images aren't as good as yours, but at time way better than most. Sadly the camera itself wasn't as robust as I'd like.. had 2 fail on me, but it did show me the potential.

Did you use an external light source? Always found the amount of light under water challenging.

Attachments

• IMG_3855-xx.jpg
    IMG_3855-xx.jpg
    837.8 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd used a Canon PowerShot G7 back in 2007.. the images aren't as good as yours, but at time way better than most. Sadly the camera itself wasn't as robust as I'd like.. had 2 fail on me, but it did show me the potential.

Did you use an external light source? Always found the amount of light under water challenging.

Canon G7X Mark II in a Fantasea housing. Two small but very capable Inon S2000 strobes and for wide shooting the Fantasea BigEye F Series dome lens (restores the 24mm field of view UNDERWATER.) Here's a few more from the Philippines I shot this year.

Attachments

• IMG_7366.jpeg
    IMG_7366.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_7705.jpeg
    IMG_7705.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_7902.jpeg
    IMG_7902.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_7384.jpeg
    IMG_7384.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_8240.jpeg
    IMG_8240.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_8198.jpeg
    IMG_8198.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 440
  • IMG_8763.jpeg
    IMG_8763.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_8775.jpeg
    IMG_8775.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_8846.jpeg
    IMG_8846.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_9116.jpeg
    IMG_9116.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 407
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
anything under 5X is lame
Odd generalization. It sounds like you mean that anyone whose requirements for a small travel camera differs from yours is irrelevant.

Sony has a somewhat more expensive camera in the same class. It used to have a zoom range equivalent to 24 to 70 mm. They've come out with a new version that zooms up to 200 mm. That sounds like more to your taste. What they have lost in the process is lens speed. The old version was somewhat similar to the G7X's f/1.8-2.8. The new version is f/2.8 to 4.5. So you have choices.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Reports of poor macro performance on the Mark II caused me to back off on a Summer 2018 purchase.

I don't know your macro expectations for a compact camera, or what might be reasonable expectations in general. The camera will focus on things a couple inches away at the wide angle setting, and results look rather sharp to me. But no, you don't get a true 1:1 macro out of this little camera.

The only time I can recall taking pictures from really close with this camera on my travels was at a display of coins in the Tower of London. I doubt I thought to put it in macro mode. From the looks of it, I got the background in better focus than I did the coins. I probably could have got a better picture even in that weak light if I had been more careful. But otherwise I can't think of a situation where macro performance might have been important to me in the use of this camera. I do have a macro lens for my DSLR, so I would use that anyway, except when traveling with just this little camera.
IMG_2305.jpg

Upvote 0
Odd generalization. It sounds like you mean that anyone whose requirements for a small travel camera differs from yours is irrelevant.

Sony has a somewhat more expensive camera in the same class. It used to have a zoom range equivalent to 24 to 70 mm. They've come out with a new version that zooms up to 200 mm. That sounds like more to your taste. What they have lost in the process is lens speed. The old version was somewhat similar to the G7X's f/1.8-2.8. The new version is f/2.8 to 4.5. So you have choices.

unless you just want something with great macro of only doing close up, but you can either get great specs and under 6X or underrated specs and 12X-25(+)X. I think now that mirrorless is causing so many of the brands to focus on first micro 4/3 and now mainly on FF, the point and shoot level has gotten kind of muted. Ive been keeping an eye on target and walmart's selection and they have had the same 4-7 cameras in stock for at least 3-5 years(give or take because some upgraded a tad), but other than mirrorless nothing has been revolutionary. Not saying that I don't want to get one, but just for the mid range but hand held something needs to change. When i was 12-18 a 3.3X was fine because the every day camera was nothing special, but now they're better and there's more with their specs only being a sliver difference from each other, and then the OS are the major difference and learning how to use them is the only flaw between taking good shots and not.
The canon g3x is the most ideal camera, but it's just not "there", so an in between needs to be made. And also my comment is more geared towards the Canon brand, so that's kind of where my comment was talking about. And by lame I don't mean that the ones out there now that are mark II & III are bad at all, but theres no middle ground and the ELPH series is more "I take photos of my kids/grandparent and on vacation sometimes" which is what I use the iphone for, so no need for both.

It's 100% not lame to continue upgrading those, I've used almost all of them at least once, just 1-2 more with around 8-15 zoom would be ideal for me, though. The only bad thing truly for any of them is the zoom.

Upvote 0
I have the g9x mark II was looking to upgrade to the g7x III for brighter lens. Might have to wait longer then or buy the older mark II(probably not due to macro). Was hoping for improved macro in the g7x mark III as that was also what put me off buying the mark II. The macro on the g9x ii is fairly good.
I'm looking forward to the audio line in, so won't settle for the mark II

Upvote 0
3years in the waiting for Mark ii successor which means the refresh cycle has slow down but if the recently leak pictures imho more resemble of an upgrade G9x Mark iii version than G7xMark3 because the design language just doesn't fit an G7x series. The back button layout is minimalistic and the front lens element ring looks abit shorten and pattern grip on it gotten straight line instead x cross pattern on G7Xmk2 and the front grip has improve ergonomic as rumuor, lens fr G7mk2 has been apply to (if this is a G9Xmk3 ) consider an upgrade so if the real G7Xmk3 should have slightly longer zoom lens like 24-120mm?, Mic is in so it's something new but if this is really the final design for G7Xmk3 then the 3yrs waiting are not as expected. Probably the new thing was 1inch 24mp, New Digic8, New Dual Pixel Af, 4k ... the back layout just could be so much better if indeed this is for G7xmk3 oh gosh. And February should be the traditional month for announcement given it's previous model was launched in the same month.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I can not understand the policy Kenon, professional cameras are updated 1 time in 2-3 years, this is normal.
But when it comes to the banal compact camera PowerShot G7 X Mark 3, which needs to be updated EVERY year, such as Nikon updating the D3xxx, D5xxx DSLR line, Canon’s policy is not clear - in general.
Can anyone suggest alternatives, mandatory requirements: a matrix from 1-inch and above, 5-axis stub, the presence of zoom (not fixed), a folding screen for selfie, 4Kp30 - 4Kp60, high-aperture lens (preferably), compactness (preferably), fresh model 2018-2019.

Upvote 0