Is video raising cost of bodies? Is it wasted for many shooters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AvTvM said:
so is 4WD vs 2WD. ALmost any car available in 4WD can also be ordered in 2WD. Manual gear or automatic ... deep in the hardware and different user interface ... for almost every car you get the choice (at least in Europe).

But there's different hardware in 2wd vs 4wd cars. If looking for a comparison for camera bodies, it's pc cpus with different cores - for example AMD produces quadcores, but disables one or two cores to offer something for a budget while getting the most money from their premium customers (yes, I know that some of the less-then-four cpus have broken cores, but many do not and they can even be enabled by software).

I also think that video doesn't raise the manufacturing cost itsself that much, but just shifts the specs and r&d efforts. And it has been argued that a 5d3 is still cheap to other cine offerings with large sensors, so that's the origin of a potential price raise. But just like cpu manufacturers, I'd wish Canon would release a 5d3s w/o video and maybe another 5d3v with some still features disabled, say for $500-$750 less, purely for marketing reasons.

Well-off people or video users would still get the full 5d3, while Canon could generate more sales volume simply by some zero-cost firmware adjustments and different packaging. They could even sell a software upgrade :)

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
DB said:
Look at pages 51-52 where they discuss the apparent demand for higher MP in DSLR but instead emphasize the imperative to boost sales support in developing markets as the main priority etc ad nauseam ....

Interesting. The 5D3 won't give them that boost in developing markets.

What their stated goal means is that they want to go into markets where they don't have a presence and capture new customers (sensible.) Those markets will need lower cost cameras.

Precisely.

Canon is boosting their marketing & sales efforts to sell millions of EOS T4i/650D/1200D's in new markets. Video is a big selling point that persuades buyers in these markets to purchase Canon DSLR over Sony/Samsung point-n-shoot digital cameras (for a couple of hundred bucks more).

Do they really care if they only ever sell 50,000 5D3's or 100,000? It will not impact their bottom line that much. However, selling millions of plastic EF-S lenses (built by machines) rather than thousands of 'L' lenses that are hand assembled and polished (labour intensive, thus higher cost, so lower % margin), is where Canon sees their future revenue emanating from.

"The proof of the pudding is in the eating" - just a couple of years ago, Canon sold their 50 millionth lens and 20 millionth camera body, but 50% of those total sales figures occurred in the previous 5-year period. So Canon sold more Camera/Lenses in the last half a dozen years than they did in their entire history prior to that.

Upvote 0
Jul 25, 2011
kdsand said:
I'll be strait forward & to the point.

• it is raising the cost of the bodies
  • it is unused by many

Power windows.
Remember the old crank windows?
Once electric became standard then cost of manual cranks started to increase.
Eventually the cost of providing manual exceeded the cost of electric on the assembly line.
4 a time the manufacturers continued to offer manual at a savings to consumers while in reality quietly taking a loss. :eek:
Why?
In order to keep the perception of high value electric as being a premium option consumer pay more because "hey look at this added value your receiving". ;)
Eventually even jeeps and pick up trucks came with power windows as standard equipment.
That doesn't stop the manufacturer from implying that it is an added benefit even today. ::)

So let us say the top speed has gone up a bit, the transmission is a hair better, power steering is now up to the industry standard and the engine has about 4% more torque.

So should we run out and buy the vehicle based on it having power windows, improved cruise control and 5 percent more foot room now? ??? Should we be focused on those power windows and thus be willing to pay a premium? ???

I wanna be clear
I am the only 1 that is right
:p
:p

Sorry. :p

A true story

Original UK spec for Police Range Rovers was manual windows.

In time all Range Rovers had electric windows. It cost Land Rover money to convert Police Vehicles to manual windows.
Finally Land Rover got the spec changed to electric windows by offering to drop price.

Upvote 0
N

Neeneko

*sigh* this topic again?

Bottom line, unless one has access to Canon's internal marketing data and cost breakdowns including all the gantt charts, we simply do not know.

Adding video does increase the cost of research and production. It also increases the sales volume which amortizes this increased cost. We do not know which one outweighs the other, if video is essentially a freebe for still photographers or a case of marketing group think that is unnecessarily driving up costs. Could be either.

Upvote 0

Richard8971

"There is no spoon" - Neo
Oct 4, 2011
Tucson, AZ
www.Oldpueblophotos.com
elflord said:
If you really don't want to "waste money" on video, Leica, Hassleblad and others make some very good stills only cameras. They are not cheap but at least you won't "waste money on video"

The OP was a question of "Is video RAISING cost of bodies? Is it WASTED for many shooters?"

My posts have dealt with that and only that. It is a wasted fuction in my opinion and I feel that my camera would be better (dollar per dollar) if it did NOT come with video, that's all. I love Canon and want the features of the 7D and 5D2. I am sorry they shoot video, I for one will NEVER use it. Oh well...

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Richard8971 said:
The OP was a question of "Is video RAISING cost of bodies? Is it WASTED for many shooters?"

My posts have dealt with that and only that. It is a wasted fuction in my opinion and I feel that my camera would be better (dollar per dollar) if it did NOT come with video, that's all. I love Canon and want the features of the 7D and 5D2. I am sorry they shoot video, I for one will NEVER use it. Oh well...

Could you elaborate on specific things you think keep your camera from being 'better' by having video functionality on the camera?

C

Upvote 0
cayenne said:
Richard8971 said:

Could you elaborate on specific things you think keep your camera from being 'better' by having video functionality on the camera?

C

we can start with the AA filter and go from there....

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

wickidwombat said:
cayenne said:
Richard8971 said:

C

we can start with the AA filter and go from there....

Video friendly sensor sizes

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.