ISO 50

cid

"light is defining shape"
Nov 27, 2012
500px.com
Hi,

I was wondering about advantades/disadvantades of ISO 50 in photography, as far as I know it's only digitally pushed down ISO 100 ...

are there any problem which I should keep in mind when doing landscape photography with ISO 50?

is it suitable for getting 1 stop slower shutter speed? or is better to use ND filter which has one more additional step?

thank you

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
ISO 50 on a Canon Dslr is only ETTR, that is ISO 100 over exposed by one stop and then reduced in processing. On older generation cameras such as the 5D this did result in a smoother image. However with the latest cameras the whole ETTR thing is rather moot unless you are specifically wanting to preserve more shadow detail for pushing later.

It does lose a full stop of DR as defined in the electronic sense: I have to say that when I used to use it on a 5D for landscape I didn't notice any practical difference in DR because 8-10 stops covers nearly all the scene with the exception of what's lighting it, and then 11, 12, 13 etc doesn't add much. Shoot 16-18 stop Portra and you'd notice the difference.

On the latest cameras I'd be more inclined to use a ND rather than over expose much, especially with blue skies etc.

When wanting low ISO on Canon it's worth noting that ISO 100 is actually ISO 80 on a 5DIII anyway.

Upvote 0

cid

"light is defining shape"
Nov 27, 2012
500px.com
Sporgon said:
ISO 50 on a Canon Dslr is only ETTR, that is ISO 100 over exposed by one stop and then reduced in processing. On older generation cameras such as the 5D this did result in a smoother image. However with the latest cameras the whole ETTR thing is rather moot unless you are specifically wanting to preserve more shadow detail for pushing later.

It does lose a full stop of DR as defined in the electronic sense: I have to say that when I used to use it on a 5D for landscape I didn't notice any practical difference in DR because 8-10 stops covers nearly all the scene with the exception of what's lighting it, and then 11, 12, 13 etc doesn't add much. Shoot 16-18 stop Portra and you'd notice the difference.

On the latest cameras I'd be more inclined to use a ND rather than over expose much, especially with blue skies etc.

When wanting low ISO on Canon it's worth noting that ISO 100 is actually ISO 80 on a 5DIII anyway.

thank you, very explaining ... I was wondering if this option is useful in some way, but according what I read in this thread it's probably not, or in ery limiting way

And yes I knew already the base ISO for 5DkmIII is 80 ;)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0