Issues with the R5 1.5.0 firmware?

sfericean

R3, R5, R6 x 2, & 1DXIII x 2
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Bellflower, CA
www.youtube.com
The latest firmware for the 1DX MKIII on Canon UK has also disappeared!

EDIT - And the latest firmware for the R5 on Canon UK has also gone!!!
This is true...all three are missing off the UK site (R5, R6, and 1DX Mark III). Very interesting development indeed...

I have 2 R6's and access to 2 1DXIII's. No problems thus far.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

sfericean

CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Bellflower, CA
www.youtube.com
It was posts from various groups on fb, so I didn’t bother to link to them all.
I figured if it’s a issue this forum will for sure know about it after a couple of days, and if not, there is no issue.
Ok I will back track my statement in one fashion. The only issue that I've noticed is in the custom white balance where you take a shot to custom white balance the camera to the scene. It seems to be very cool when it selects the final white balance. It seems like the picture that is taken looks good and properly white balanced but when it goes back to live-view (and in the case of the R6; in the EVF and the back screen), its very cool and it doesn't seem like the right white balance was set.

It could be user error, but it seems pretty straight forward, except that when the picture is taken there is nothing on the screen that you would confirm the white balance it aquired, other than the picture and the histogram. There is no "press set to confirm WB" or something like that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Ok I will back track my statement in one fashion. The only issue that I've noticed is in the custom white balance where you take a shot to custom white balance the camera to the scene. It seems to be very cool when it selects the final white balance. It seems like the picture that is taken looks good and properly white balanced but when it goes back to live-view (and in the case of the R6; in the EVF and the back screen), its very cool and it doesn't seem like the right white balance was set.

It could be user error, but it seems pretty straight forward, except that when the picture is take there is nothing on the screen that aquires the custom white balance other than the picture and the histogram. There is no "press set to confirm WB" or something like that.
Do you get this screen and then “wb registered” or something? Seems alright looking at my histogram.

Attachments

• 4E43F1E4-619B-42DB-864A-7B6C18B5B0EC.jpeg
    4E43F1E4-619B-42DB-864A-7B6C18B5B0EC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 156
  • 4033A803-FB3E-421A-AC56-E120B04C43B2.jpeg
    4033A803-FB3E-421A-AC56-E120B04C43B2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 157
Upvote 0

sfericean

CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Bellflower, CA
www.youtube.com
Do you get this screen and then “wb registered” or something? Seems alright looking at my histogram.
I most certainly do not get that screen, especially on the right hand side...mine is blank..in the lower half. Again, maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Attachments

• 20211203_103737.jpg
    20211203_103737.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I most certainly do not get that screen, especially on the right hand side...mine is blank..in the lower half. Again, maybe I'm doing it wrong?
The right screen is set up with cycle on info an scroll down, to show rgb histogram.

the first one you need to be already in custom WB, and then you have the option to use the trash can to set wb. If that doesn’t show you perhaps have selected another wb than custom.

Upvote 0

sfericean

CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Bellflower, CA
www.youtube.com
The right screen is set up with cycle on info an scroll down, to show rgb histogram.

the first one you need to be already in custom WB, and then you have the option to use the trash can to set wb. If that doesn’t show you perhaps have selected another wb than custom.
Interesting indeed. Here is the process I follwed.:

1. Live view
2. "Q" button on upper right of screen.
3. White balance (3rd button down on the screen on the right)
4. Select custom white balance icon on the bottom row of the screen.
5. Select "Shoot to set WB"
6. Take a picture.

And then the screen in the attached file. I've pressed the info button, the trash button, I've attempted to move the AF selecter up and down. Nothing seems to happen at the end of that sequence and when the camera returns to live view, its certainly not the correct white balance. Its a very cool WB, nothing like the picture take to attempt to aquire WB.

Hopefully I'm making sense here.

Attachments

• 20211203_103737.jpg
    20211203_103737.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Interesting indeed. Here is the process I follwed.:

1. Live view
2. "Q" button on upper right of screen.
3. White balance (3rd button down on the screen on the right)
4. Select custom white balance icon on the bottom row of the screen.
5. Select "Shoot to set WB"
6. Take a picture.

And then the screen in the attached file. I've pressed the info button, the trash button, I've attempted to move the AF selecter up and down. Nothing seems to happen at the end of that sequence and when the camera returns to live view, its certainly not the correct white balance. Its a very cool WB, nothing like the picture take to attempt to aquire WB.

Hopefully I'm making sense here.
When it says “shoot to set WB” you need to press the trash can FIRST (y) then the first screen posted earlier with the double square in center will show up.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
*edit*

yeah, so nevermind, it was set to animal AF after shooting the furball. I’ll leave the post to make a point of the stupid decision to not display which priority is set in the EVF.

With some simple testing with a person sitting, 2/3 crop, the eye AF is better at choosing the eye closest to the camera, but it jumped more often to the hand (?) and it seems a bit more jumpy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0