Issues with the R5 1.5.0 firmware?

Dec 13, 2010
The issue is becoming more wide spread now, I see new people and posts and threads every day with people experiencing the same thing. And mine got worse again after being okay. I’m going to try to turn off the “suppress slow frame rate” function and see if anything changes. Hopefully more people will contact Canon about this. It’s beyond frustrating and I couldn’t get the rollback to 1.4.0 to work…

Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
The issue is becoming more wide spread now, I see new people and posts and threads every day with people experiencing the same thing. And mine got worse again after being okay. I’m going to try to turn off the “suppress slow frame rate” function and see if anything changes. Hopefully more people will contact Canon about this. It’s beyond frustrating and I couldn’t get the rollback to 1.4.0 to work…
Have you had ‘Suppress Slow Fram Rate’ enables this whole time? The R5 advanced user guide says suppress slower frame rate may cause “Difficulty in Autofocusing”. (Pg. 277)

Attachments

• 17DCA6AB-988A-47EE-9D42-E6E16B48A39E.png
    17DCA6AB-988A-47EE-9D42-E6E16B48A39E.png
    75.3 KB · Views: 92
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Have you had ‘Suppress Slow Fram Rate’ enables this whole time? The R5 advanced user guide says suppress slower frame rate may cause “Difficulty in Autofocusing”. (Pg. 277)
Thanks for sharing that, I had it enabled yes, I tried today turning it off, but didn’t see any difference, but I’ll definitely keep it off now. Thanks.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
This is an EXCELLENT reminder. It's just too new for me to automatically be turning it off and on as needed. I think default off works for me, because I'm not in the low-light situations nearly as often as in brighter light. My studio space is usually lit enough to avoid the jerkiness. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Here's an example of one of the AF issues. Both shots confirmed and locked on the eye, but in the oof one I saw in the EVF it wasn't in focus. I kept holding the Af button down in Servo to have it continue to try and lock, it kept the same oof when I moved the camera back forth trying to get it to lock. When checking AF point placement in playback it showed the small red square one the eye for both shots.

Attachments

• m.png
    m.png
    4 MB · Views: 132
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
It definitely looks like the camera tried to focus on the phone, not on the eye.

Have you tried saving the settings onto the card and then resetting the camera?
Yes, it looks that way now that you see the focus is in another spot, but according to the AF system and review it is focused in the exact same spot both times. And it's not just a focusing miss, sometimes it feels like you have set the camera to the fastest respons in the Case settings and sometimes it feels like your looking through the EVF without pushing the focusing button. Both tracking and detecting are seriously lacking with 1.5.0 ehere it really didn't with the 1.4.0.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017

can't confirm 100% but I did turn that setting on post firmware upgrade and about same time noticed the erratic focusing issues.. turned off and recent attempts seem to hold / follow focus back to normal... weird.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
It seems that resetting and reloading settings after turning off Suppress low frame rate AF is better than 1.4.0. I tried at a trampoline park today and it sticks to head or torso when eye isn’t available and it’s much stickier. I have more slight backfocus than before, but all in all it seems like an improvement. And the horrible flickering lights and ligh conditions in general there is a tough test.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
It seems that resetting and reloading settings after turning off Suppress low frame rate AF is better than 1.4.0. I tried at a trampoline park today and it sticks to head or torso when eye isn’t available and it’s much stickier. I have more slight backfocus than before, but all in all it seems like an improvement. And the horrible flickering lights and ligh conditions in general there is a tough test.
Sorry, I don't understand your conclusion here. Is 1.5 working well for you now?

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Sorry, I don't understand your conclusion here. Is 1.5 working well for you now?
Yes, but if I activate Suppress low framerate it screws everything again. So another reset and reload is needed. The Canon rep Inreported said it sound suspiciously like a bug. Hopefully it’s easy enough to replicate.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Yes, but if I activate Suppress low framerate it screws everything again. So another reset and reload is needed. The Canon rep Inreported said it sound suspiciously like a bug. Hopefully it’s easy enough to replicate.
I think we are all having the same side-effects from "Suppress low framerate." Since these side-effects are listed in the AUG as negatives, I don't think this would be technically "a bug," but the implementation might POSSIBLY be improved in a future firmware update.

In other words, Canon engineers may have been given the task of improving low-light EVF characteristics, and this was the best they could do in the time allowed. Or, this might be the best they can do, period, with the hardware they have to work with.

Hopefully all this points to even better EVFs in the future. I wonder how the R3's EVF behaves in low-light.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I think we are all having the same side-effects from "Suppress low framerate." Since these side-effects are listed in the AUG as negatives, I don't think this would be technically "a bug," but the implementation might POSSIBLY be improved in a future firmware update.

In other words, Canon engineers may have been given the task of improving low-light EVF characteristics, and this was the best they could do in the time allowed. Or, this might be the best they can do, period, with the hardware they have to work with.

Hopefully all this points to even better EVFs in the future. I wonder how the R3's EVF behaves in low-light.
You misunderstood, it’s not just when the function is active the issues are there. If I check it and then uncheck it, the issue is there until I perform a factory reset and reload my saved settings.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
You misunderstood, it’s not just when the function is active the issues are there. If I check it and then uncheck it, the issue is there until I perform a factory reset and reload my saved settings.
Document it as thoroughly as possible. Contact Canon. The key is to provide sufficient detail for them to replicate the problem.

Sometimes seemingly unrelated settings have unintended effects. When the 1D X was new, there was a bug in AFMA. I documented it with a video, but Canon couldn’t replicate it so I got the default ‘send in your camera’. With further detective work by another forum member here, we found that the bug in AFMA only occurred if the orientation-linked AF point function was enabled. Not sure how that could affect AFMA, but code can be like that. With that info provided to them, Canon could replicate the issue and they soon issued an update that corrected the problem.

Upvote 0