It’s time to fill those memory cards. Canon releases firmware v1.8.1 for the Canon EOS R5. 400mp stills are now possible

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Did anyone else\'s camera freeze up after installing?

Finally stopped showing the post-update screen with no responsiveness to any control, and now black with no response to any control.
I'm not brave enough to install any firmware upgrade until it's been beta tested by others for at least a month, as new firmware can be buggy and has been pulled shortly after release several times by various brands, including Canon.

My experience with previous upgrades has been that it often takes much longer than anticipated to install and finalise, so could it be possible that you panicked too early and ignored the instruction "don't turn off or touch any buttons"?

Given that your camera has locked up, I'd suggest dropping and reinserting the battery, making sure it's fully charged, and then re-setting the camera. Hopefully that will enable you to install a previous version, although you may have already tried this?

GOOD LUCK

Upvote 0
very, very dissapointing.
I am as well
[...]

Who in the world was asking for 400MP? ... for me a complete engineer driven feature
There's where I think you're wrong. I believe Canon is lagging behind selling those super sharp RF L series lenses. Adding extra resolution to the camera might turn some photographers to swap their trustworthy EF L lenses with those newer alternatives. At least I think this was the concept behind this feature.

Upvote 0
Lol, it says a lot but it says it in Swiss German :-D (Or at least German being attacked by a Swiss :-D )

To the left of the speaker we see Grosser Mythen (the pointy mountain) that has stairs to the top of, and Kleiner Mythen. You can see those from Zurich, though they're exactly behind the Fraumunster in this shot from the Urania bar (the bar with an astronomical observatory on top). I think the speaker is at the Rigispitz, on the bench by the crucifix, and that wire is holding the crucifix up. But I haven't been there in a long time, maybe I'm misremembering. If so that's the Laurzersee behind him.
Smart observation. But now all that is missing from your comment is an explanation as to why any of this matters in this discussion :D

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Not every feature is for everyone. Most photographers aren't going to care about a photography-focused update intended for a small minority of photographers. I applaud all manufacturers who expand their cameras' capabilities to specified work. 400MP is impractical for most projects, but for archival/reference photography or scanning it is an exciting and useful feature.

Additionally, real-world utility is not always the most exciting prospect of early iterations of emerging technology. Only 5 years ago, the only way to access 400mpx was to shoot with a $48,000 Hasselblad. Now, you can access this technology for less than a tenth of the price. By making this technology accessible, even in a limited form, it sets precedent for improvements and greater accessibility across the board. Expect better iterations from Sony, Nikon, and Canon in the near future.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Just playing with this new toy for the last hour.

I do not like this new feature nor I will use it

- You need to use a tripod yes or yes
- If there's any even smallest change like anything moving in the background gets messed up already, since shoot 9 pictures with different times
- Really slow
- There's artifacts coming out of the picture
- Only JPEG
- Not separated pictures which at least... we could later use.

Here you have 2 sample pictures with same exposure same composition. 1 normal and another super mega 400mpx. https://we.tl/t-kZyXE2lZwm Wetransfer link, 91.6MB

Yeah lot more resolution but for what? :S

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
There will definitely be a very tiny minority of commercial photographers who actually need/want 400MP images, but for 99.99% of owners, pixel-shift is just a feature that they'll never use, or will maybe use just to try it out, but never use it again.

It may sound cool to tell your friends that you've got a 400MP camera, and it may therefore make it a more appealing buy for tech-junkies and brand-warriors who think extreme specifications and "bragging rights" are more important than learning how to take good photographs, but for the rest of us, to call this a "major upgrade" is a joke.

To keep this in perspective, the R5 is still a great camera, in fact it was arguably the *best* FF camera, even back as far as 1.6.0, but this upgrade is disappointing, especially considering all the rumours about more worthwhile features that could so easily have been included.

WHERE are the R3/R6ii/R7 AF improvements?
WHERE are the options to select different fps with ES?
WHERE is the option to bracket exposures with ES?
WHERE is pre-capture?

For me, the *only* reason to install this would be to get the (unspecified) bug fixes, but it hardly seems worth the effort, as the R5 has been bug-free since 1.6.0 - I've read very little recently about people experiencing freezes or error messages.
I agree with you. The rumors got R5 users very excited, but this was not what was expected. Almost no one is happy with this update. Expectations were higher. The features you mentioned were the expectations of many users. Hopefully we can see them in an update like 2.0. :)

Upvote 0

fr34k

Canon R5 and lots of RF glass
Jul 16, 2022
And it's pretty common for something simple and achievable to be pushed to the side while the deluxe version seems to take longer and longer and longer.
Well then. Deluxe focus stacking and Deluxe AF improvements on R5 confirmed :p

On one hand I like that Canon does not officially preview something like the Game Developers do, as this often creates high expectations and is then met with a myriad of bugs and disappointments, but the rumours seem to do it for them, which then does create letdowns either way.

I'm still rather disappointed as "there could have been more", but I don't know their strategy and I love my R5 irregardless. I will continue to hope though that we'll be crossing the magical v2.0 mark and v2.0 being worthy of the name. v1.9 in July & v 2.0 in November or v1.9 skipped entirely. Who knows. New R5 II in April 24 with bombshell revelations like the R5 was itself.
I for my part will go out and take more pictures in the meantime with my beloved R5...

Upvote 0

- If there's any even smallest change like anything moving in the background gets messed up already, since shoot 9 pictures with different times
- Really slow
- Only JPEG

Here you have 2 sample pictures with same exposure same composition. 1 normal and another super mega 400mpx. https://we.tl/t-kZyXE2lZwm Wetransfer link, 91.6MB

I zoomed in, it looks really weird.

Attachments

• scrrenx.png
    scrrenx.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I'm not brave enough to install any firmware upgrade until it's been beta tested by others for at least a month, as new firmware can be buggy and has been pulled shortly after release several times by various brands, including Canon.

My experience with previous upgrades has been that it often takes much longer than anticipated to install and finalise, so could it be possible that you panicked too early and ignored the instruction "don't turn off or touch any buttons"?

Given that your camera has locked up, I'd suggest dropping and reinserting the battery, making sure it's fully charged, and then re-setting the camera. Hopefully that will enable you to install a previous version, although you may have already tried this?

GOOD LUCK
That reminds me....

I've never updated the original firmware on my 5D3....I need to see if I can still do it...!??!

CC

Upvote 0

fr34k

Canon R5 and lots of RF glass
Jul 16, 2022
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I tried some photos and learned very quickly that I can't hand hold the camera. I ended up with a 64MB jpeg so its very compressed. Then, I ran Topaz Sharpen AI . I did not time it, took maybe 10 -15 minutes. The tiff output file is 2.58 GB. So much for saving as tiff, I could not even open that file in photoshop.
Reprocessing it to jpeg, it takes 4.3GB of my video memory and 90% GPU. This time, I watched the time to save it, it took 7 minutes. The sharpened jpeg file jumped in size to 169MB. It was subtly sharper but the color and contrast also changed. It was definitely not worth the trouble to sharpen the image.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

- Really slow
- Only JPEG

Thanks for sharing. Definitely some increase in real resolution, but not a 3-fold linear increase IMO (that's consistent with my expectations). At 1:1, the pixel shifted image has ample artifacts.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0