It looks like 2021 will be the last year for the EOS M lineup [CR2]

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
I'm throwing this out there - how could there be a RF 'M' camera when keeping in mind the prices of RF lenses? It's not even feasible with thier current pricing strategy.

Many have been cheering for the nifty fifty for RF and that's great and all but Canon really screwed us with no 501.4 EF update (+ blocking 3rd party performance!) and it seems like they're ready to do this again. It's like they will be no middle range of lenses of substance, just ultra cheap limited quality and $2,000 lenses.

Even if you pointed to the cheapest lenses for the RF mount right now that is not a good solution to replace these small and compact cameras.

Lastly isn't the RF mount too big for this class of small camera?

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
I'm throwing this out there - how could there be a RF 'M' camera when keeping in mind the prices of RF lenses? It's not even feasible with thier current pricing strategy.

Many have been cheering for the nifty fifty for RF and that's great and all but Canon really screwed us with no 501.4 EF update (+ blocking 3rd party performance!) and it seems like they're ready to do this again. It's like they will be no middle range of lenses of substance, just ultra cheap limited quality and $2,000 lenses.

Even if you pointed to the cheapest lenses for the RF mount right now that is not a good solution to replace these small and compact cameras.

Lastly isn't the RF mount too big for this class of small camera?
Superimpose an rf mount on an M body, in the literal sense there ain't going to be an 'RF-M' camera. Why fix something that's not broken.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Johnw

EOS R8
Oct 10, 2020
I'm very happy they want to unite FF and APSC but I think it's a big mistake to not have a small lens lineup dedicated to the APSC cameras, essentially "ports" of the current M lenses. Many people would want such cheap and small lenses.

We'll see what happens.
If they do end up killing off EF-M it wouldn't surprise me to see more investment in APSC class cheaper/smaller lenses for the crop RF bodies. The cheap RF telephotos is clearly evidence that Canon is looking for more opportunities for innovative popular consumer lenses as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The M system always came across to me as a product line that existed to satisfy shareholders but at the same cuckold to not threaten the market share of the EF system.

With that sort of thinking allowed up starters like Sony to eat into market share by being ahead of the curve with mirrorless.

Any tech leaders should always actively look for ways to make their own product obsolete rather than have the competition do it for them.

There is no more development on the EF system. All R&D money is for the RF system.

Making the M system moot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2020
Superimpose an rf mount on an M body, in the literal sense there ain't going to be an 'RF-M' camera. Why fix something that's not broken.

The extra 7mm between the two mounts isn't going to make the cameras crazy large
compare-ef-and-ef-m.gif

and in fact only the M200 would definitely be affected (that is hoping they could fit a larger mount with 2mm extra depth inside the M50, M6 bodies):

Z-CANON-M200-FRONT.JPG

but they will need to bring the small and cheap RF-S lenses to replace the EF-M ones, otherwise the M idea is truly dead.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2020
If they do end up killing off EF-M it wouldn't surprise me to see more investment in APSC class cheaper/smaller lenses for the crop RF bodies. The cheap RF telephotos is clearly evidence that Canon is looking for more opportunities for innovative popular consumer lenses as well.

I would hope so, but the rumor says they don't have the intention.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
Sure. But how do you replace the very budget oriented kits like the 1000D and M100 + EF-S 10-18 mm IS STM / 55-250 mm IS STM without producing APS-C specific lenses?

What about the ultra tiny ones like the M200? That body is practically as tall as the EF-M lens mount. With an RF mount and lens, that design simply doesn't seem feasible.

So the role of APS-C seems to either shift to reach and speed optimized bodies like the 7 series, or price regions that you can't reach with a FF sensor (sub 500?). Without dedicated lenses, there is only a little cost savings in the body and 0 size and weight savings, unless we are specifically talking reach limited setups. To me that justifies saying that the role of APS-C in the future is different from what it was in the past.
I misunderstood your meaning. I read the “end of APS-C” part, but your emphasis was on the “as we know it.” :)

Upvote 0
Anyone interested in an M6 III aka RM6 form factor? :) Well, it is going to be bigger, than an M equivalent, but maybe not much bigger. The tricky part is going to be lenses, Canon would have to come up with some reduced circle variant, to keep the lens more compact ... and cheaper. The question is, if such optical formula would just work ....

Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
Truly upsetting if this is what Canon is doing. I just don't understand the marketing decision though seeing as no RF mount camera will ever be as small or as low of cost as an M200 for an entry level camera. Heck, it was discussed a while back that the EF-M system was going to replace the Rebel DSLR line entirely. Looks to be that 2021 will be an uncertain year for EF-M :/.

I’m praying that they’ll sign off with the oft-rumoured M5 Mk II with all the features of the M6 Mk II.

I'm hoping they at least give us an M5 Mark II with everything form the M6 Mark II + IBIS and Animal Eye AF.

Upvote 0

Eagle Eye

Recovering Full-Framer
CR Pro
Jul 5, 2011
Virginia
I have 13 EF-M mount lenses. If this is the end of the system, Canon had better find an engineering solution to use those lenses on an APS-C Rf camera. Before someone regurgitates the “that’s impossible!”, no, it’s not. It could even be done without an adaptor. If they do that, I’m fine with this news. If I’m starting completely over at the end of my M6ii’s service life, I will likely be looking at other systems, despite shooting Canon for 25 years.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Canon knows what they're doing. If these rumors are true, it means the consumer trend is going away from the EFM system, regardless of past and current sales. It makes sense to me. The full frame RP is not that much larger than the M50 (the M50 is actually slightly taller), and its price continues to plummet, negating both the size and price advantages of the crop system. The only thing to address is affordable and compact lenses, which they seem to be doing increasingly more as the EFM system fades. The sub $500 market seems long gone due to mobile phones, and there was probably little to no profit there anyway.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2020
I have 13 EF-M mount lenses. If this is the end of the system, Canon had better find an engineering solution to use those lenses on an APS-C Rf camera. Before someone regurgitates the “that’s impossible!”, no, it’s not. It could even be done without an adaptor. If they do that, I’m fine with this news. If I’m starting completely over at the end of my M6ii’s service life, I will likely be looking at other systems, despite shooting Canon for 25 years.

How would that work withought an adapter? I hope they could make an adapter that moves the smaller lenses 2mm into the mount, but I honestly don't know if they can.

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
I understand focus is on fullframe lenses primary for some time, but the sources sounds like it is "forever" Canon wont be doing "RF-S" lenses? Especially since Canon apparently are planning multiple APS-C cameras, that sounds really weird to me.

I would have loved to see more compact (or "wilder") "RF-S" replacements of my EF-S 10-22, 15-85, 17-55/2.8 and Sigma 8-16. But luckily existing EF-S lenses will still work on R bodies.
I cannot see anything attractive at all about a 18-45mm 4-5.6 lens?? That sounds like the most boring standard zoom ever made for an APS-C camera.

Well, but maybe Sigma or other 3rd party lens manufacturer will see a potential market and launch something interesting?...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mpeeps

Lovin' life on the Central Coast
CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
California
www.mpeeples.com
The M50 is still the best selling mirrorless camera on Amazon, will they really kill this cash cow? If they will go for it they have to release a 600-700$ RF camera, or this slice of the market will go to the competition
The RP is already very close to that price range.

Upvote 0
I love the idea of cheaper lenses that are meant for APS-C, but will also work on a full frame body. Having two mirrorless mounts is way too disjointed when their competitors all have one mount. And all those people buying the M50 will just buy the R mount equivalent now. It seems like a perfect time to bring in their now legendary Rebel product line.

Just relax. You know you're all going to get one ;)

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
It doesn't matter how small they make an APS-C RF mount body if the lenses don't get correspondingly smaller. I do not see how that works by just making only full frame lenses. The only way this makes any kind of sense is if we get lenses that are comparable in size and price to EF-M lenses. If it's Canons intent to move away from the very small and light camera system, I disagree wholeheartedly with this strategy.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Canon knows what they're doing. If these rumors are true, it means the consumer trend is going away from the EFM system, regardless of past and current sales. It makes sense to me. The full frame RP is not that much larger than the M50 (the M50 is actually slightly taller), and its price continues to plummet, negating both the size and price advantages of the crop system. The only thing to address is affordable and compact lenses, which they seem to be doing increasingly more as the EFM system fades. The sub $500 market seems long gone due to mobile phones, and there was probably little to no profit there anyway.
Exactly my thoughts.

Canon is putting a ton of money into market research. They know what's going better than any of us here.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0