I bought a new IXUS 132 (Canon ELPH 115 / IXUS 132 / IXY 90F) yesterday for only 69 Euro's and decided to try it out on my cat. Here's a few shots; I had a lot of fun! ...and it's interesting to try out some of the digital filters. It's a great little camera. The only thing that's really missing is a 'shutter priority' mode (there's only 'P' and all the creative stuff). So to get fast(ish) shutter speeds the only workaround I could think of is to increase the iso. All in all I'm very pleased with the results. Not bad for such an affordable little camera. The build is good, too.

Attachments

• 2013_11_23_0023.JPG
    2013_11_23_0023.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 399
  • 2013_11_23_0035.JPG
    2013_11_23_0035.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 416
  • 2013_11_23_0052.JPG
    2013_11_23_0052.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 375
  • 2013_11_23_0067.JPG
    2013_11_23_0067.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 427
P

paul13walnut5

I bought my girlfriend an older version of this for christmas a few years back , an ixus 107 (I think more widely sold as the 105, or the elph sd1300, the 107 may have been unique to select retailers) and have been astounded by the quality of the results.

It's no EOS beater but for a compact is a great little camera. Battery lasts for months, nice screen, compact, good IQ, brilliant in good light. Easy for her, and has enough custom control to keep me happy on the occassions I use it. Miles and miles better than an iphone.

It inspired me to buy a powershot after many years away (an SX230, which was a very damp squib in comparison)

Heres some I took with the IXUS 107. Not my best work ever, but happy enough to share as proof of the cameras ability.

My flat backs onto this part of the Clyde, this is HMS Dragon, completed and leaving for her new home with the welsh Guards. I watched all 6 of these amazing type 45s being built. I was also videoing that day but wanted some snaps. The IXUS deputized perfectly and gave me good to very good A3 prints.

The Isle of Pladda off of the southern tip of the Isle of Arran, just off the West coast of Scotland in the Clyde Estuary. We try and go on the waverley every year, its a good day out, I love boats, but couldn't be bothered trapsing around with my SLR.

Soller in Majorca, and the the little tram that takes you to from Soller town to Port Soller.
Another great wee day out, into Palma. We love Majorca. 2 hrs and a world away.

Tarbet East Loch with the Portavadie ferry in the backgound. Tarberts very Pictureskew, Portavadie (or rather, Polphail) is quite interesting if you like urbex or abandoned places.

Anyway, I digress. We like our wee IXUS. A lot.

Attachments

• TarbertEastLoch.jpg
    TarbertEastLoch.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 387
  • Soller.jpg
    Soller.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 372
  • Pladda.jpg
    Pladda.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 396
  • DragonLeaving.jpg
    DragonLeaving.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 379
Upvote 0
Nice pictures paul13walnut5 :) It goes to show how these little camera's can go a long way. They may not be the end-all in image quality but if you use them carefully, great results can be had.

In fact this isn't the first 'experience' I have with going back to simpler technology - I used to own a Powershot A590IS that I used to good effect in Angola where I didn't dare take more expensive kit. I have 8 albums shot with this little camera, in Angola (mostly off-and near shore): http://www.mrsfotografie.nl/reizen/angola-2009

Unfortunately my A590IS had a nasty lens decentering defect halfway through the zoom range so I effectively had a gap in the zoom range that I had to shoot around.

Generally the Canon compacts have good color reproduction - this and the great controls makes me buy Canon compacts time and time again. The only camera that disappointed me in that sense was a Canon IXUS 500 HS that seemed promising but gave images with a horrible greenish color cast.

Upvote 0
paul13walnut5 said:
My second digital camera was a powershot s40, built like a tank. Good in good light up to 12x8s

My first was a Canon Powershot A20. It was horrible on power consumption and not really very good at all - but yes it was built like a tank, too. But at the time I was just taking snapshots. Later I found that to get more than 30 frames out of the battery life, it was best to use the OVF and not use the screen too much. I still have it for nostalgia sake.

Upvote 0
paul13walnut5 said:
Love the pano and the fishing boats. They have their place the wee powrshots and ixus cameras.

Thanks :) For the record, they're not fishing boats. The vessel I was on was a geotechnical exploration vessel (the one with the A-frame on the aft deck). The two behind it are oilfield supply vessels.

I've attached a shot of some fishing vessels, ex-Chinese stuff apparently:

Attachments

• 2009-12-14_1187.JPG
    2009-12-14_1187.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 360
Upvote 0