Kickstarter: This Revolutionary Camera Battery will Lighten Your Bag and Change the Way You Shoot

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
For many photographers, power is a major struggle. If you’re shooting video or working in live-view, a battery charge never seems to last, so you’re stuck carrying 3 or 4 batteries in your kit. X-tra battery is here to solve that problem and simplify your kit with one revolutionary accessory.
Learn more about the X-Tra Battery at Kickstarter
Think it’s hard to get excited about a battery? For most gear heads, power solutions and batteries have generally been the least sexy accessories there are, until now. The X-tra battery solves multiple photography headaches and even offers some solutions you didn’t know you needed but soon won’t be able to live without.

unnamed-file.jpeg
The X-tra looks streamlined and well designed. The main portion of the battery fits nicely into the...

Continue reading...

Wonder what compatibility is ACTUALLY like. I've used a LOT of LPE6 USB battery adapter products like Tether Tools in the past and you cannot always shoot "continuous" indefinitely if the camera senses the battery is draining. Sometimes camera needs to be turned off in-between USB brick changes or else you'll eventually get an auto-shutoff at the worst possible moment.

Third party batteries always seem to not accurately report battery levels in-camera, which is the level indicator that needs to be used or else another "reboot" is needed to properly recognize.

Mirrorless with USB-C built in that allows full charging with hot swap makes this product a lot less useful.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

fiendstudios

CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
There are some serious questions about this

- How is the weather sealing? Dont want to put my $4000 camera at risk.
- The mechanism, is it secure or will there be a chance it can drop out?
- Will it fit with L-plates like the 3legged things? (wont fit with the ones that are cut out specifically for the model).
- How is it with colder temeratures?
- Will it give me high speed FPS with the R5/R6 like with the new batteries?
- This is not from a reputable company/person/organization that I trust or know making things.Only 10k wanted? hmm.

For me, there are waaaay to many "might not work" on this list. Like the dragons say in the Dragon's den: "I'm out".

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0
Seriously, is there nobody here picking out the inconsistencies on this one.

Nevermind that X-tra out of Los Angeles is an art journal.

The CEO and CTO are unknowns.

They have no experience with batteries.

They only want 10k, would you trust your camera with ANYTHING produced that cheaply.

They provide really nothing new that isn't out there by...reputable companies.

Their press kit is a google drive, they have no website.

Other companies look very similar, like X-tra being a part of their name....that's not these dudes.

This looks like a larger scam than the Y35 by Yashica and everyone's eating it up...again...because they didn't look into it more..

Sheesh people. Nevermind the obvious sponsered content gods involvement. This sucker is going to walk off with your money.

• Wow
Reactions: 15 users
Upvote 0
HI I'm Billy Mays here with a fantastic set of buzz words.

Seriously, I know not everyone does tech or science.... But read this. Secret Recipe? I'm literally cracking up that people will eat this up.

I mean, common people. And all this at the low budget price of 10k? Seriously... Super Secret High Tech Battery Recipe created by people that like natgeo and photography and videography in the low time of 6 months ago....with what looks like 2 eneloop pro's in a battery case in at least one of their images...

So depressing.

We are a group of photographers and engineers who are into NATGEO photography and videography. EVERYTIME we are out shooting, our packs are loaded with tons of batteries, which are heavy and annoying. What's more, for certain mirrorless cameras, such as Canon, constantly inserting every single battery in the pack to check the leftover power is really “a pain in the ass". Thus, we created the X-TRA Battery (prototype about half a year ago), which helped us a lot during the creation process - Longer Battery Life, Easier Battery Indicator, Quicker Reloading, Better Grip and Faster Charging. Now, we want to share the "Secret Recipe" with all camera fanatics and we really hope the X-TRA Battery will boost your efficiency and make each trip much easier. NEVER MISS A STUNNING MOMENT!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Wonder what compatibility is ACTUALLY like. I've used a LOT of LPE6 USB battery adapter products like Tether Tools in the past and you cannot always shoot "continuous" indefinitely if the camera senses the battery is draining. Sometimes camera needs to be turned off in-between USB brick changes or else you'll eventually get an auto-shutoff at the worst possible moment.

Third party batteries always seem to not accurately report battery levels in-camera, which is the level indicator that needs to be used or else another "reboot" is needed to properly recognize.

Mirrorless with USB-C built in that allows full charging with hot swap makes this product a lot less useful.

It is a good concern to be aware of. I'm a big user of external batteries for the R series cameras. I put cameras out in the woods on triggers for wildlife. Consistent power delivery is my single biggest issue. Here are the hardest issues to address:
- Battery firmware on USB batteries that goes to sleep after a certain amount of time without power draw
- Not-quite-compatible in that Canon throws up a dialog box periodically to confirm that a non-Canon battery doesn't claim to be a battery, which requires user interaction in order to continue using the camera

I currently address those issues by using very large d-tap output batteries from Indipro, which completely fixes the first issue, and works on the second issue so long as I manually answer the dialog box questions initially. Because the batteries never "sleep," the dialog box doesn't come back.

If this company has figured out those two issues, then it'll be a hit. I will wait until it releases to find out before purchase, though. I have a boatload of batteries already whose firmware makes them not too useful for my purposes.

I'm doing an article on all of this in a few months, after the winter field season (porcupines and bobcats).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0