Kickstarter: Universal Lens Cap 2.0 – The Only Lens Cap for Every Camera.

Upvote 0
True. But a company that has had one successfully delivered product makes it much more likely they'll be able to deliver a product again. I've backed 60+ products, and now tend to only back creators that have successfully done so at least once before.

With that said, because the product is delivered, doesn't mean it's a quality product or good. They mention that their version 2 is made of new, more durable material probably because when I was looking up reviews of their version 1 product, a lot of people were complaining it was very hard to attach the caps, and a lot of people were complaining about version 1 tearing. That's what I would be more concerned with in this particular Kickstarter case. I'd comfortably bet they will deliver something, but I'm not comfortable that it will be something worth receiving.

PhotoGenerous,

Hey, it's KUVRD here! Those are excellent points! One of the things that we failed to make super clear was HOW to actually stretch and cover a lens with V1 and the second was that EVEN if a user didn't know how to stretch and cover a lens and the ULC ended up tearing, it would have been replaced with a brand new one, free of charge...

That's because every single Universal Lens Cap has a LIFETIME REPLACEMENT WARRANTY.

Yep, Lifetime. Not 1 year, not 1 month... it's FOR ETERNITY.

Second, if a product has a defect or a customer has a negative experience with it, the likelihood that they will tell basically everyone and anyone who will listen is around 1200% higher than for that same someone who had a satisfactory or really positive experience to go and tell the world about it.

To date, we have shipped out over 68,000 Universal Lens Cap and of those 68,000 sold... 382 customers have had their ULC tear or rip... that's a 0.005% defective rate... which is ridiculously awesome for any industry...

Now, lets fudge the numbers a bit and get crazy.

Lets say that we quintuple the amount of customers who have had their ULC tear or rip... and then let's double that number... that would put us at 3,820 customers who have had a ULC tear or rip... that would be STILL be about a 5.6% defective rate.... and guess what, all those customers still get a brand new one! Whether it happened the day they got the product or decades later... we've got them KUVRD ('covered').

With Version 2, we created two sizes because there were a ton of people requesting a smaller size for Micro 4/3s and a lot of people asking for a larger size for those more difficult and wider sized lens barrels... So we created V2 to satisfy the need of the market but wanted to do so by upgrading the silicone material NOT for the sake of decreasing our defective rate, but because we want our customers to know that we're not going to skimp on ensuring we use the best possible materials and are pushing the envelope for innovation and amelioration of our products.

And to top all of that off... we provide a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee... No questions asked... so if you're unsatisfied or you feel the "something" you received wasn't worth receiving... send it back for a full refund... and that 30-Day countdown starts when you receive the product, not when you pledged or purchased it.

Hopefully that helps clarify things a bit and reassures that we're not here to screw anyone or sell crap products.

KUVRD

Upvote 0
o_O To me this is simply DOA :rolleyes:
(even if it arrives ;) )

Maximilian,

Awe, what a bummer... Luckily it comes with a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee so that when it arrives and you perceive it as a dead product, you haven't lost your money!

But hey, we can't change a person's mind when it's already been set, right?

KUVRD

Upvote 0
Bertzie,

In our opinion, a lens caps that fits one barrel diameter, provides minimal protection to an otherwise expensive lens and often gets lost or pops off in transit.... BUT only requires ONE hand to secure is not a good design...

awe... the world of subjectivity...

We could go on forever... couldn't we? :)

KUVRD

I've never had a lens cap pop off in transit, nor have I ever lost one, nor have I ever had my camera in any environment where the lens cap was inadequate protection. And for the price of ONE of yours, I can get 30 normal lens caps.

Any situation in which your lens cap is worth the cost is not a situation I would want my camera to be in in the first place.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I used to work in the selection and design of components for space vehicles where using silicone was virtually prohibited due to outgassing, and the resultant depositing of contaminates on lenses. The deposits are nasty to clean off. We did use compounds that were low outgassing, but they were less flexible and expensive.

I wonder if I would want to put a expensive lens in a silicone sleeve?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I use these sexy Sensei brand metal screw on caps on all my lenses. Maximum front element protection and beautifully machined. They take up less space than the original caps. None of mine (46 caps and lenses total) have ever gotten stuck. Not even close. Won't rip, tear, or out-gas. They will not fall off, ever. The anodized surface is flawless. They do not attract dust. Dust cannot stick to them. No warranty needed because they will, without a doubt, last a lifetime. They'll outlast my grandson's lifetime too. In fact, archaeologists will probably be digging up flawless examples in 2,000 years. There are also filter stack covers of the same design that I also love. The plastic case I got with B+W filters are "ok", but I like the metal covers better.

Silicone can get gummy and sticky over time. That is objective truth, not subjective opinion. I would suggest to KUVRD in Provo that a good test of longevity of the product would be to take a case of them on down to Mesquite (Not St. George) and leave them in storage for a year while stretched very snugly on sections of PVC pipe. That'll speed the aging process and give a good idea of what the things will be like in 3 years in a less harsh environment.

From handlebar grips, to steering wheel covers, and those covered workout weights... silicone gets gummy and sticky. The reviews on Amazon: 4 and 5 stars = 67% favorable. 3 stars and below: 33%. One guy bought 6 and 2 of them tore rather quickly. Lots of complaints about tears. Another customer complained that the cover offers no front element protection, attracts lint and dust, and can touch the front element. KUVRD suggested in reply that the customer put a standard lens cap on the lens first. (screen capture jpeg below)

Didn't think of that. Silicone is very flexible. So why buy this if I still need a standard lens cap underneath to protect the front element in my bag? And why the people complaining about sand and dust sticking to it? Sticky? What, exactly, is the anti dust/sand chemical you say you spray on the silicone? But sand and dust still sticks? How is it you measure that the anti-sticky spray application is "slightly" more activated after washing the cover? Why aren't the covers washed in the factory to get maximum anti-sticky right off the bat for the customer?

Attachments

• Lens cap.jpg
    Lens cap.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 210
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Maximilian,

Awe, what a bummer... Luckily it comes with a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee so that when it arrives and you perceive it as a dead product, you haven't lost your money!

But hey, we can't change a person's mind when it's already been set, right?

KUVRD
Hi KUVRD!

Thank you for liking my post which is really not nice to you and your product. Truely I don't get this one at all.
Secondly, thank you for giving me the insight above.

Problem is, that even with with all the information you've provided for your idea an your product it doesn't get me interested for it at all.
Sorry, but good luck with your business.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I've never had a lens cap pop off in transit, nor have I ever lost one, nor have I ever had my camera in any environment where the lens cap was inadequate protection. And for the price of ONE of yours, I can get 30 normal lens caps.

Any situation in which your lens cap is worth the cost is not a situation I would want my camera to be in in the first place.
just +1 to this.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I wonder if I would want to put a expensive lens in a silicone sleeve?
No! I wouldn't.

Silicone is only good far way from any technical equipment or technical process. Just ask a varnisher ;)
(and - personaly - it is also not good inside of anybody, if there is no medical need of it - but that's just IMHO. Don't ask a surgeon :p)

Upvote 0