Lens suggestions for concert photography...but there's a litte bit of a catch...

Okay so I've been shooting for around 12 years STRICTLY landscapes & I've had 5 bodies over the years of different brands (Canon & Sony). I recently got into shooting concerts but then I ended up getting sick with Flesh eating disease and Coronavirus hit so I haven't shot anything since last October. I am on the mend though with the flesh eating disease and will be having surgery in 2 weeks to repair my open wound & once I'm healed I'm looking to get back into the field and start shooting again. I was last shooting with the Sony RX10 IV. I previously owned a Sony A7 & 7ii. Well I had some decent results with them but it still NEVER felt as good as when I shot with Canon. I made the decision to sell off my Sony cameras & switch back to Canon. I will be buying the Canon R & I could use some suggestions on some lenses (Maybe 1 RF lens but mostly EF lenses with the adapter of course because of how expensive the RF lineup is. My dream RF lens is obviously the RF 70-200 2.8.) The thing is I am limited on how close I can get in certain situations because I'm in a wheelchair. My question to all of you though is what would you suggest to someone who is in a wheelchair for who is getting into concert photography? I won't be able to get into photo pits all the time for shows once things start back up but I really want to get into it.

Also...I know this doesn't really matter but I don't really shoot professionally full time. It's always been semi-professionally because of my whole wheelchair situation and not being able to get to certain locations & whatnot. Just wanted to point that out. I'm guessing zoom lenses will be my best friend?

This was the last concert photo I took. Sony RX10 IV

Tati_ 1023 Illinos Belvidere.jpg

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I don’t shoot rock concerts, but I do shoot a lot of college plays and jazz concerts. The 70-200 2.8 is a great lens and is excellent on the R, either the II or the III. Almost the same except for some new coating o the III. If you are in the US I recommend setting an alert on canon price watch as they are frequently available refurbished from Canon.

Stage lighting can be deceptively bright so you might also consider a 90D for more reach.

Upvote 0