List of ten of the world's sharpest lenses

• Thread starter Deleted member 20471
  • Start date
So...no comparison to other lenses in the same range / market place or justification to their results. Hmmm I smell a fantasy lens list here. Why the 300 f2.8? why the 70mm macro? It seems a bizarre and poorly considered list to me, withe little consideration to focus ability and a huge bias to Sigma and Zeiss. The Canon 100 usm macro is far more regarded than the Sigma 70mm macro. Even the Sigma 150mm macro is better considered that the 70mm variant. Personally, I would choose a 16-35 zoom over the 15mm prime any day. Where is the 24-70 choice? Surely this is THE lens at the center of most professional user's lens lists? While I understand the 300mm f2.8's inclusion...it worth more than all the other lenses put together...so it's an odd ball choice.

Upvote 0
"The Canon 100 usm macro is far more regarded than the Sigma 70mm macro. Even the Sigma 150mm macro is better considered that the 70mm variant."

It wasn't when I was buying. That was in the pre-L IS days, but that aside, it's still half the price..

I could have got the older 100mm f2.8 Macro or the 60mm f2.8 macro, both won out in terms of focus speed, but in every review I read the Sigma came out best for IQ. Not by a huge margin as all were excellent, but by some margin at least. The fact that it was a viable choice for film, aps-c digital and full frame digital added to it's appeal for me.

The focus speed was not important. I plonk mine on a manfrotto 454 and tripod for any serious macro work, with the limiter on and in the furthest half of the range, it's af speed is actually ok for portraiture.

As I recall the Sigma 70mm is what AP magazine used for studio shots when testing new bodies for reviews.

Upvote 0