M6 mk II review...

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Yes, I know it's DPR review.

And yes, I know they kvetch prominently about no 24p.

But they do praise a lot of things.

The reason I posted this is that they make one assertion I found interesting...that out of all the EF-M lenses, only the 32 mm is good enough for the sensor. (Almost as if, they were planning for the new sensor when they (relatively recently) released the 32 mm...)

Anyhow, what do you all think about that statement? Is it bogus? If it ISN'T bogus, what does it mean for the future of EF-M lenses--are they going to come out with more of them? Or is this camera targeted for people willing to adapt EF lenses?

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I got 6 seconds in. I'm sorry it is bullish!t.

As for the lens assertion, that is bullish!t too.

You didn't even get past the stupid "I want my..." then.

It was actually mildly laudatory after that; they praise the autofocus, ergos, and sensor.

Thanks for answering the main question, too.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I felt I commented so went back and tried again, the lens comments are just so off base these guys do photo enthusiasts a massive disservice. The things they say are not true and they know they are not true......

I'm reassured since I'll likely be buying the 11-22 soon...as I wait for the M5 II (or M6 II--or who knows, the M50 II might work out best).

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
OK let me reframe my input.

Effectively their assertion is that a $150 kit zoom doesn't have the IQ that a $500 prime lens does, does that surprise anybody?

If you are happy with the performance of the 15-45 on an earlier M you will get a corresponding increase in resolution using a newer M, the prime will give higher IQ than the kit zoom on both early and later cameras too.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
OK let me reframe my input.

Effectively their assertion is that a $150 kit zoom doesn't have the IQ that a $500 prime lens does, does that surprise anybody?

If you are happy with the performance of the 15-45 on an earlier M you will get a corresponding increase in resolution using a newer M, the prime will give higher IQ than the kit zoom on both early and later cameras too.

I don't think they were limiting their negative commentary to the 15-45, but rather to all six or eight of the EF-M lenses.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
No but the price/quality/functionality equation holds true. The 22mm prime is less than half the price of the 32mm prime, the 18-150 is an 8x zoom! They aren't saying anything that isn't obvious they are just saying it in a disingenuous and hyperbolic emotion grabbing way.

The sensor is not better than the lenses, the lenses are spread across a range of prices and functions and have different levels of IQ, the best lenses look the best, the not so good lenses don't look as good, this isn't news, so they spin it to sound dramatic.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
They actually admit themselves several times that "at this price point" the M6II is doing well across the board, maybe even the leader. But, they cannot help themselves but compare it to much more expensive gear. That said, looks like a nice camera to me.

What caught me off guard was their statement that the M6 II replaces both the M5 and M6 (1.55). Has anyone else heard that? I've been assuming a M5II will be released in 6 months or so.

Also...11:25...."Image Quality is a big step up for Canon." :):):)
I'll take it for what it is worth. But here is to hoping that there is some improvement in Canon's sensors. I love my 5DIV, but always happy when gear is improving. We'll see.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
They actually admit themselves several times that "at this price point" the M6II is doing well across the board, maybe even the leader. But, they cannot help themselves but compare it to much more expensive gear. That said, looks like a nice camera to me.

What caught me off guard was their statement that the M6 II replaces both the M5 and M6 (1.55). Has anyone else heard that? I've been assuming a M5II will be released in 6 months or so.

Also...11:25...."Image Quality is a big step up for Canon." :):):)
I'll take it for what it is worth. But here is to hoping that there is some improvement in Canon's sensors. I love my 5DIV, but always happy when gear is improving. We'll see.
A couple of weeks ago, somebody thought they heard somebody from Canon say that the M 6II is replacing both the M5 and M6, and there was some buzz about that. DPR was one of the main buzzers, but nobody really knows. Canon hasn't said anything one way or the other about the M5II.

It does look like the new Canon sensor is a step up in IQ, but that assessment is still work in progress

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland

Yeah, if the biggest critique of an enthusiast camera is that it can't do professional video… But of course they can get more views by exaggerating and lampooning small issues, that's part of their shtick.

DPR has said repeatedly that Canon reps told them that the M6II is a replacement for both. Some other sources have reported the same, but I don't think that necessarily implies that there won't be a M5II (or equivalent). Especially given that apparently the M5 will continue to be available.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
DPR has said repeatedly that Canon reps told them that the M6II is a replacement for both. Some other sources have reported the same, but I don't think that necessarily implies that there won't be a M5II (or equivalent). Especially given that apparently the M5 will continue to be available.

...and this IS DPR.

But I did ask a trio of canon reps a couple of weekends ago and one of them repeated the exact same phrasing--I suspect Canon is telling its reps this. I got the sense that because it IS a "replace"ment, the M5-without-mark-number will be discontinued as well as the M6-without-mark-number. (One of the reps got really testy when I referred to it as the M5 mark I; he's a stickler for the accurate terminology; but I was trying to distinguish it from the line as a whole--even if it only has one member.)

However, they would NOT say that an M5-II was never coming.

One thing I gleaned (which may not be news to non-n00bs) is that if something isn't announced by the end of October or so, it's not going to be announced before the end of March.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Looks like a great camera. I'm tempted. The problem I have is the way it's being sold in Canada. As far as I can see it can only be purchased with the 15-45 or 18-150 lenses, neither of which I want. There seems not to be a body only option. That may change, of course, but it does seem a bit odd.

And in the States, the only way to get the viewfinder bundled is to buy the kit with those lenses. We CAN get body only, but won't get the viewfinder that way. I already have the 15-45, and am not terribly interested in the 18-150 as I already have the Tamron 18-200. I suppose I could buy one of those kits and simply sell the lens back to the retailer (if they will do it--I suspect Canon frowns on that practice) for enough to partially recompense me for a stand-alone-package viewfinder.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Thanks. Makes sense that the M6 II replacing both is more of them spreading a rumor they heard.

Generally, it seemed to me that the M5 was more popular than the M6. But, they were very close, so I could see Canon eventually replacing the M5 but moving it up market a bit. I am not sure which features that would include...but maybe just enough to make Jordan happy..... ;)

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Thanks. Makes sense that the M6 II replacing both is more of them spreading a rumor they heard.

Generally, it seemed to me that the M5 was more popular than the M6. But, they were very close, so I could see Canon eventually replacing the M5 but moving it up market a bit. I am not sure which features that would include...but maybe just enough to make Jordan happy..... ;)

Well, I'm hoping for the flippy screen. I think one of the reps I talked to grudgingly conceded I had a point--it's on the "entry level" M50, why not higher models?

Upvote 0