Magic Lantern Cracks the EOS 5D Mark IV

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>It looks like the intuitive folks at Magic Lantern have cracked the EOS 5D Mark IV and will begin work on adding features for a possible future firmware release.</p>
<p>Keep in mind that reverse engineering of this kind is very difficult work, and we may not see any releases for the EOS 5D Mark IV for quite some time, but it’s nice to know they’re working on it.</p>
<p><a href="http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=17695.msg172713#msg172713">Read all about the progress at Magic Lantern</a></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
This us good news for 5DIV users, and for the rest of us it reminds us that ML is still there and making progress.

Cheers, Graham.

Canon Rumors said:
<p>It looks like the intuitive folks at Magic Lantern have cracked the EOS 5D Mark IV and will begin work on adding features for a possible future firmware release.</p>
<p>Keep in mind that reverse engineering of this kind is very difficult work, and we may not see any releases for the EOS 5D Mark IV for quite some time, but it’s nice to know they’re working on it.</p>
<p><a href="http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=17695.msg172713#msg172713">Read all about the progress at Magic Lantern</a></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Jopa.
It is possible the reason is as simple as no camera to work with. My understanding is that they are reliant on volunteer camera bodies to crack, if no one on the team had a 5DS/R and no one offered to loan one to crack then no ML for that camera.
Of course it could also be down to hours in the day, i.e. not enough hours in the day to crack all canon bodies, or it could be any one of a multitude of other reasons.
There is a very long blog/forum thread on the ML site that probably contains the answer somewhere if you can find it!

Cheers, Graham.

Jopa said:
Wondering why did they skip the 5DS/R? Unfair :)

Upvote 0

AWR

Aug 18, 2015
People really don't understand ML, best one I heard was when some 5DIV reviewer called it a company. Ugh.
This "news" is in the same way off. Testing started from the first cameras shipped and to make it usable will take time.
And as some have pointed out, not all cameras end up with working ML goodies for your regular shooter.

Anyway, 5DIV is kind of "on hold", because the biggest news for the last days has been breakthroughs in the 10-bit and 12-bit RAW recording.
It'll take the 5DIV's biggest competitor, 5DIII to a next level in cinematography.

5DIV will get it's share of attention, and you never know when the breakthrough is here, but it will be a bigger news then. Right now there is nothing to use.

Magic Lantern is such a great thing that everybody should spend month or two reading the forum.
You don't have to be interested about cameras or understand coding. You'll get a nice perspective for doing things.

And for those who wonder about Canon's view, well they have taken many kind of actions. Implementing ML stuff in to their products and making sure that ML needs to make miracles by crippling their own product for their sad C-series. And even threaten with law suits. All the nice things that nice company, that has ten different ways crippled DSLR's in their line up, would do.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
enraginangel said:
I am about a month or two away from selling all my Canon gear. I was considering the 5D Mark IV but the disappointing 4k features is making me look elsewhere. If the Magic Lantern folk can add a decent codec with a reasonable bitrate, I may look back at the 5D Mark IV, but I'm now eyeing the GH5 as my next camera.

What lenses will you be selling?

Upvote 0