MAJOR Issues with R3 After Firmware

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Good luck taking photos without a video feed to the EVF/LCD.
That's true. And, I've been a long time advocate for video in cameras (even though I almost never shoot video) because the extra sales helps lower the costs for stills shooters and really, all digital cameras at heart are video cameras.

But...I do wonder if, as video and stills features become ever more sophisticated, if the dual operating system of the R5C might be the wave of the future. Have one operating system for video and one for stills to avoid software and hardware conflicts.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Not sure what's going on here anymore, but back to the topic of the firmware issue, I just got off the phone with Canon. The camera is going to be shipped tomorrow. I've got a job today that I typically wouldn't use the R3 for, but I am planning to use it just to try and introduce the issue again and document it.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I used the camera for video and photo today and didn't have a single issue. So I can only assume the issue had something to do with using a remote trigger or using flash. It's off to Canon tomorrow, but I'll try to mess with it before I box it up.
My most recent experience with Canon ended positively, with a fix of my 100-500 that had been banged hard front-first into a door frame, but not until I begged them to try again. They wanted what I've read about frequently, sending in the R5 so it could be "adjusted with the lens." I said I didn't want to do that and asked for one more careful test, asked them to look at how long I've been with CPS, to also note other qualifying items in my gear-list, etc. They retested, opened it up, and found some elements slightly out of alignment. Came back as sharp or sharper than when I first got it.

But if you are sending in something that cannot be reproduced, unless they are relentless in trying to force the "phenomenon" to happen, you can predict what first and even second response you will receive. So, good luck overall, and especially trying to reproduce it before sending it!

Looking forward to your final outcome being positive too!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
My most recent experience with Canon ended positively, with a fix of my 100-500 that had been banged hard front-first into a door frame, but not until I begged them to try again. They wanted what I've read about frequently, sending in the R5 so it could be "adjusted with the lens." I said I didn't want to do that and asked for one more careful test, asked them to look at how long I've been with CPS, to also note other qualifying items in my gear-list, etc. They retested, opened it up, and found some elements slightly out of alignment. Came back as sharp or sharper than when I first got it.

But if you are sending in something that cannot be reproduced, unless they are relentless in trying to force the "phenomenon" to happen, you can predict what first and even second response you will receive. So, good luck overall, and especially trying to reproduce it before sending it!

Looking forward to your final outcome being positive too!
You are proving to be the RF 100-500mm designer’s nightmare with the number of sagas you have reported here!

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Well, gang, I was able to capture video of the issue before sending it into Canon - I still haven't sent it in because work has been piling up!

It may have something to do with bracketing or when the camera is connected to a bluetooth remote.

I'm not sure when I'm going to be sending the camera in at this point. I haven't been able to spare a series of 2-3 days without a camera and Canon needs my camera in their hands in order for them to send me a loaner...and I am pretty sure getting an R3 as a loaner is probably not going to happen since it's in such short supply. Again, I'll keep everyone posted. I'm going to try and share the video if I can find out how to upload it somewhere for free.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Well, gang, I was able to capture video of the issue before sending it into Canon - I still haven't sent it in because work has been piling up!

It may have something to do with bracketing or when the camera is connected to a bluetooth remote.

I'm not sure when I'm going to be sending the camera in at this point. I haven't been able to spare a series of 2-3 days without a camera and Canon needs my camera in their hands in order for them to send me a loaner...and I am pretty sure getting an R3 as a loaner is probably not going to happen since it's in such short supply. Again, I'll keep everyone posted. I'm going to try and share the video if I can find out how to upload it somewhere for free.
you can upload it to a social media site and then link to it here

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

I once used this free site for a posting here: https://streamable.com/

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I just used my R3 for the first time since the new firmware update and I immediately ran into issues on my first image. The camera froze up and gave me an error code, then it power cycled on its own and took the photo. This happened between 7-10 times today. I will be sending the camera into Canon first thing next week, as this is unacceptable and they need to find out what's going on with it.

I have well over 100,000 images taken on this camera with the original firmware and this has never happened before, so I know it must be related to the new firmware release.

Please share any of your experience with the firmware here, but I just wanted to let everyone one know they should probably wait on updating...the camera is no longer reliable.

UPDATE: It appears this issue is at least partially linked to shooting bracketed exposures with electronic shutter. I can get the camera fail in E-shutter than switch to mechanical and it works, then switch back to E-shutter and it fails again.

Thanks for posting this. Just got my R3 and I've been experiencing the exact same thing with 5 image exposure brackets and electronic shutter. Switched to mechanical shutter and no issues so far. Wondering if you have had any trouble since, or if you downgraded the firmware. I have no idea where to find the old firmware download. Not on Canon site.

Upvote 0