More Canon announcements coming in 2020

D

Deleted member 384473

I have my fingers crossed that the cinema cameras will be announced at the end of August, while I'm still within the R5 return window. Even then, they're selling for $1k over retail on eBay so it might really be worth upgrading if the specs are right.

Got a couple of Aputure 300D II's stuck in the (curently slow as molasses) postal system so I can properly put the R5 through its paces too. What a great year for gear! (and a terrible year for everything else)
Agreed! This is a real exciting year for photographers and video shooters. So many options. I was debating between 300Dii & 300x for an additional light myself. The R5 will probably start dropping in resell value once the September wave starts to ship but you could probably still make a little something on selling it to someone who can't wait.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
thats nice and all but you announced a R5 back in the begining of July that I still cant get cause every camera store doesn't have one, has no clue when theyre getting any either, try and fufill your previous announcements before you start announcing new things. The funniest part is on the Canon sites they have "The wait is Over" No its NOT! lol
Well, actually... The wait is over for some of us... ;) :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Well, actually... The wait is over for some of us... ;) :LOL:

THAT wait is over. The wait for the misbegotten trolling and whining to subside is not.

(And no, I'm not talking about the people waiting for their R5 and understandably upset at the delays, here. I'm talking about the people whose sole purpose in life seems to be to bitch about the video features.)

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
thats nice and all but you announced a R5 back in the begining of July that I still cant get cause every camera store doesn't have one, has no clue when theyre getting any either, try and fufill your previous announcements before you start announcing new things. The funniest part is on the Canon sites they have "The wait is Over" No its NOT! lol
You are only as good as your last product (announcement). :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

THAT wait is over. The wait for the misbegotten trolling and whining to subside is not.

(And no, I'm not talking about the people waiting for their R5 and understandably upset at the delays, here. I'm talking about the people whose sole purpose in life seems to be to bitch about the video features.)
SteveC, do you dream about video shooters? You seem really bothered by some "video shooter'" criticisms on the latest R5? You know you can have a groundbreaking camera that is still reasonably criticized, right? For instance and obviously, a lot of people complained about the heat limitations for video... Which is valid and something I am sure Canon will get better at as they're still in their mirror-less infancy. I'd also like to see better dynamic range on these small hybrids in the future too. Perhaps a less messy release. Doesn't mean its not an amazing camera, because it is, truly. I ordered initially thinking I'd use it a lot more for video but I am keeping it to have one powerful photography first camera & to use as a B or C camera if I ever need it. They have and also seem to have other products in pipeline that will better fulfill video shooters' need - according to this thread.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
SteveC, do you dream about video shooters? You seem really bothered by some "video shooter'" criticisms on the latest R5? You know you can have a groundbreaking camera that is still reasonably criticized, right? For instance and obviously, a lot of people complained about the heat limitations for video... Which is valid and something I am sure Canon will get better at as they're still in their mirror-less infancy. I'd also like to see better dynamic range on these small hybrids in the future too. Perhaps a less messy release. Doesn't mean its not an amazing camera, because it is, truly. I ordered initially thinking I'd use it a lot more for video but I am keeping it to have one powerful photography first camera & to use as a B or C camera if I ever need it. They have and also seem to have other products in pipeline that will better fulfill video shooters' need - according to this thread.

As tiresome as ever.

• Haha
  • Wow
Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
Actually would be nice if Canon would announce everything what's coming in the next 2-3 years. Or have a lens roadmap.
Would be much easier to plan and budget. Obviously they don't want that because people would sit on their money and not spend it now.
Not to mention how valuable Canon's 2-3-year product roadmap would be to competitors like Sony, etc.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Its like you hyper focus on the criticisms and are oblivious to the good that is said. You are a large part of the problem, SteveC. A true "weenie" in your own words.

Naaah, your whole "this is a piece of shit but if you're happy with it I'm happy for you" routine is just passive aggressive. As is your amateur psychoanalyzing of people who complain about it.

• Wow
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

Naaah, your whole "this is a piece of shit but if you're happy with it I'm happy for you" routine is just passive aggressive. As is your amateur psychoanalyzing of people who complain about it.
I think you're reading a little too into this all SteveC. No one is out to get you. No need to curse. I just said this camera was "amazing, truly" and that I literally ordered the camera and will be using it as my main stills camera and as a B cam for video... Relax and don't be so touchy.

Upvote 0
I'm still dreaming about the rumored RF70-135 f2. I would do such a big happy dance if that was announced. I would settle for an RF 135 1.8 gladly though. It seems a little more realistic and may be half the weight haha. New Canon flashes with Rechargeable batteries would be great too. It's a great time to be a photographer haha. I have two R6 on Pre Order and chose them over the R5 to have cash left for glass.
I made a note of the big happy dance. If the FR 70-135 F2 becomes reality. we will be looking forward to your dance on top of that.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
Great news! I can’t wait for RF Cinema Cameras as it might dampen the overheating issues in movie mode around the new R5 & R6 of which I’m sick of hearing

I buy a mirrorless DSLR for shooting quality stills and a few movie clips, 1080 normally, so for those who want to shoot mostly 8K or 4K buy a cime camera because that is what they do best.

Exciting times for Canon shooting both stills and movie creations, but buy the gear that is best suited to your needs and enjoy those abilities but also recognise some of the limitations. Rant over! lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
A series of lenses that would interest me would be of type RF ... L IS (half or full)Macro primes with max apertures between 65 and 75mm that are as compact & lightweight as possible, which could be:
* RF 100mm f1.4 L IS Macro* _____ Note: "*" means either half 1:2 or full 1:1 macro
* RF 135mm f2(or f1.8) L IS Macro*
* RF 200mm f2.8 L IS Macro*
* RF 300mm f4 L IS Macro*
* RF 400mm f5.6 IS Macro*
* RF 600mm f8 L IS Macro*

After some thought, I think that the maximum aperture might have to be a bit lower (58-67mm) for a more "reasonable weight/size" offering of high-magnification primes (0.5x max magnification or more), and wanted to suggest the following possibilities:
* RF 105mm f1.8 L IS Macro* _____ Note: "*" means 0.5x max magnification in Canon-speak or (if possible) full 1:1 macro
* RF 135mm f2 L IS Macro*
* RF 180mm f2.8 L IS Macro*
* RF 250mm f4 L IS Macro*
* RF 350mm f5.6 L IS Macro*
* RF 500mm f8 L IS Macro*

I would be quite happy to buy one or two of these long high-magnification lenses, and mention the various possibilities in case any of them seem good enough to actually be produced.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020

Here's the problems, as I - and others - see it.
Yes, you can have a groundbreaking camera that is still reasonably criticized. Only, that's NOT the case here. It performs pretty much exactly as Canon tells us. So, I would consider that UNreasonable criticism. And unlike all the other brands, that also have the same overheating issues, Canon was up front and provided specific information regarding the overheating limits. Better to lie about it, deny it, or just ignore it as other brands do, apparently in the minds of many.

Is it complaining valid? Is it because Canon is in the infancy of mirrorless? No, of course not. It has to do with Physics. Full Frame cameras have had issues with overheating since video was introduced. Has nothing to do with mirrorless. Has to do with physics. And has a lot lot do with what the camera is designed for. As a series 5 camera, it is designed primarily for the stills shooter. No surprise there. It is designed to have weather sealing as a priority. No surprise there. It is designed to be within certain parameters of size, so no room for a cooling fan, such as Panasonic's huge FF camera. Also, want a faster card to be able to capture that ever increasing resolution video? Oh, didn't know that would also be hotter? Physics.

The reality is, video shooters thought they might be getting a camera with the specs of something that costs a lot more. They found out that there is no free lunch, so to speak. It all comes down to money, as it normally does. And it is easier to blame Canon than admit that they were hoping that they could get expensive video camera performance from a mainly stills/hybrid camera for a lot less money.

And let's not forget that a lot of the anti-Canon overheating hysteria is almost certainly fueled by the usually well organized Sony crowd. Almost every Canon release is met with a flurry of Anti-Canon "This camera Sucks" videos and posts on forums. They've latched onto the overheating issue since Canon now has IBIS that is better and DR that is equal to their beloved Sonys.

So, yes, many of us are annoyed. Sorry if that annoys you.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0