More features and specifications for the Canon EOS R3 have emerged

Jan 29, 2011
can't wait to get hands on a R3 and try it out

any motorsports photog experts in this forum ? the R3 will bring cars and bikes as a new subject and I think it means the ability to maintain AF at high fps when cars are moving towards you or away from you (subject size is getting bigger or smaller). I've had mixed success on the R5 with these subjects (no priority on detection) - was trying to see if I could get a lock on cars and do a panning motion to blur the background. curious to hear about the challenges in this field of photography.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
What do we think for the resolution? I'm guessing ~32.5MP, midway between the 1DX3 and R5.
Wild guess. 24-30mp. Nothing out of this world but it will produce lovely images and great low light performance.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Why are people crying about a CFx card? A 128Gb Sony Touch is a little over $200 and once you've forked out $3900 for the R5 body another $250 is chicken feed.
Pros/cons of dual CFe
- no price difference with USH-ii SD cards
- no need for SD card backward compatibility
- dual recording of video
- more sturdy cards
- no need to carry 2 different card types

Video recording may not need high speed recording depending on the res. 5.5k raw on 1DXiii is not 8k raw on R5
Higher heat generation for CFe card slots but 1D form factor should mitigate heat spread

Upvote 0
You do not compare them correctly. The 2700mAh battery has 50% more voltage. So their Wh of the two R5 batteries are almost the same with R3's and 1DxIII's battery.
The R5 slows down max speed in H+ when battery is <50%. This I believe is due to voltage drop. Having the 1D battery with higher voltage would mean higher continuous speed over the battery lifespan

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
After seeing these specifications along with SD and CFExpress cards I am on the fence if I should buy R3 or not. I am still waiting for the official announcements to learn more, but at this stage I would like some insights into the following:

1) What exactly does Canon mean that the DPAF has enhance tracking for people and animals? Is the tracking significantly better than the R5. Is the enhancement quad-pixel AF?

2) Can the electronic shutter be used at speeds other than 30 fps like 10 fps or 20 fps? Many times I have a need for 10 fps and silent shutter and just do not need 30 fps.

3) Lastly, what is the resolution of the sensor? I a still hoping for 30 MP, but my gut is saying it may not be more than 24 MP.
Of couse it's going to be better than the R5 initially it has a higer ceiling with faster readouts. That's a no brainer. It will have a stacked sensor BSI. That's hardware. Most likely improved processing speed and a faster storage bus. Most like will have an improved heat sink too.

Upvote 0
Nowhere to be seen is whether there is a mechanical shutter or not. With flash sync with ES (up to say 1/200s) is there a need for mechanical shutter? If the rolling shutter/read speed from the stacked/BSI sensor is fast enough and you can choose ES shutter continuous speed options (5/10/20/30fps) then perhaps no mechanical shutter is needed anymore!

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
But it might fly in the face of users. I have no particular need or desire for high MP in an R3, if I am at an event and shoot 3,500 images per day per body and the output is very rarely big prints, I simply don't need 30 or 40 or more MP.
My sweet spot shooting wildlife would be 32-36mp to allow some room to crop. I would still definitely buy at the 24-26mpx but would have to think about another 20mpx camera. I loved my 1dx II, but another 12-16mpx for crop would have been nice. I think I would find myself using the R5 in good conditions and switching to the R3 in difficult situations as a backup if it was 20mpx. I would also be happy with a higher mpx (45). I am not guessing at this point since I was hoping for a new, smaller battery pack to help slim down the R3. I didn't think it was going to happen, but that wasn't a very worthwhile speculation. Notice how I avoided saying I was "wrong". Update: I was planning to get a R6 as a backup, but after shooting the cameras on a trip (R6 rented) I decided I would go with 2 R5’s. I made that decision because I loved the R5 and didn’t see a real low light benefit of the R6 image when you resized the R5 file to the same resolution. I am going to hold off on the second R5 until I see the R3 specs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Nowhere to be seen is whether there is a mechanical shutter or not. With flash sync with ES (up to say 1/200s) is there a need for mechanical shutter? If the rolling shutter/read speed from the stacked/BSI sensor is fast enough and you can choose ES shutter continuous speed options (5/10/20/30fps) then perhaps no mechanical shutter is needed anymore!
I would be thrilled to see the R3 offer variable ES shutter as you point out!! If that were to exist I would likely never use a mechanical shutter ever again outdoors.

Upvote 0

sandhar

Birds, Places, Humans, Landscapes
Jun 2, 2021
sandharphotography.com
The R5 slows down max speed in H+ when battery is <50%. This I believe is due to voltage drop. Having the 1D battery with higher voltage would mean higher continuous speed over the battery lifespan

I don't know why the mechanical shutter is such a power hog in the R5 - as a consequence I'm not using it much in the field, but I do hope they optimize the power in the R3, in addition to the stacked voltage advantage

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I don't know why the mechanical shutter is such a power hog in the R5 - as a consequence I'm not using it much in the field, but I do hope they optimize the power in the R3, in addition to the stacked voltage advantage
One other thing to consider with the R5 is that the dynamic range is less under H+ vs slower shutter speeds (including ES). That shouldn't be the case with the R3

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Canon again teases a camera that I would love and like but could not afford. :ROFLMAO:
We've all been there my friend. Just save your pennies......in the meantime, just do what the rest of us do. Use and be happy with what we do have until we are able to upgrade to what we drool over in the interim.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Does Speedlight shooting with electronic shutter mean sync speeds above 250th Sec?

would 30fps be possible with a new speedlight at full power
Well it will depend on how fast the scan speed is of the sensor. Sony's A1 has a 1/240s scan speed ans sync speed is 1/200. It would be highly unlikely for Canon do do faster than 1/250s IMO unless they have found some new secret source that doesn't ruin DR and that would beg the question about the point of a global shutter if the stacked sensor can essentially give you mechanical shutter scan speeds of < 1/300s.

Upvote 0

sandhar

Birds, Places, Humans, Landscapes
Jun 2, 2021
sandharphotography.com
One other thing to consider with the R5 is that the dynamic range is less under H+ vs slower shutter speeds (including ES). That shouldn't be the case with the R3

Hi David, here is what I see at this canon europe link

JPEG: 2 compression options RAW: RAW, C-RAW 14 bit (14-bit with Mechanical shutter and Electronic 1st Curtain, 13-bit A/D conversion with H+ mode, 12-bit A/D conversion with Electronic shutter, Canon original RAW 3rd edition) HEIF: 10bit HEIF is available in HDR shooting with [HDR PQ] set to [Enable] Complies with Exif 2.31 and Design rule for Camera File system 2.0 Complies with Digital Print Order Format [DPOF] Version 1.1

parsed out,
H mode, MS or EFCS : 14bit depth
H+ mode, MS or EFCS : 13bit depth -- makes sense, to shoot faster need faster sensor readout, so drop 1 bit of resolution and tradeoff with a slightly lower SNR
ES : 12bit depth -- same as above, need to read faster
As an aside .. I see posters here asking for ES options for 10, 20, 30 fps .. but the readout still has to be done in the same amount of time to prevent rolling shutter effects, so ES will stay at 12bit ... I think.

I can't wrap my head around the power requirements between these modes though. if it was the electronics pathway from sensor to card that was power hungry, ES should have also degraded at lower than 50% batt levels, but it doesn't. I mean I get performance degradation at low batt levels, but 50% ;)

Upvote 0
Well technically 8K produces overrsampled 4K ala R5. Canon could be holding off any mention of 8K to announce it at the last minute to ensure the web doesn't go into meltdown over heat issues. Look if this shot 8K and overheated then Canon needs new video engineers. The R5 could have been dramatically improved with just copper heatsinks rather than cheap thermal pads.

Also I would presume the R1 if it's global shutter to be the lower res sensor, it would be a huge leap to see >> 20MP with global shutter on FF IMO. Stacked sensor already exists at 50MP. If the R3 is only around 20MP that would be bitterly disappointing and rule Canon out for me for good, or until R5 II with stacked sensor came along and I won't wait that long. Bare minimum res I'd consider for a $6K camera would be 36MP, it needs to be able to do it all, ala R5 and A1.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0