More features and specifications for the Canon EOS R3 have emerged

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
After seeing these specifications along with SD and CFExpress cards I am on the fence if I should buy R3 or not. I am still waiting for the official announcements to learn more, but at this stage I would like some insights into the following:

1) What exactly does Canon mean that the DPAF has enhance tracking for people and animals? Is the tracking significantly better than the R5. Is the enhancement quad-pixel AF?

2) Can the electronic shutter be used at speeds other than 30 fps like 10 fps or 20 fps? Many times I have a need for 10 fps and silent shutter and just do not need 30 fps.

3) Lastly, what is the resolution of the sensor? I a still hoping for 30 MP, but my gut is saying it may not be more than 24 MP.

Very good questions John,

I have been frustrated by the forced 20 frames on electronic shutter also. As an example, while shooting in the courthouse, I only need single frame, but want the silent!

With the R5 I have NEVER hit buffer shooting RAW to CFExpress, but when shooting backup jpegs to the SD I have hit buffer many times.
This body should have the option for dual CFexpress cards.
While shooting NHL playoff action, using mechanical shutter, not electronic, I have turned the resolution down for the backup jpegs to the SD card to reduce buffer issues!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I know we're all just throwing stuff at a wall right now, but I am increasingly hopeful that Canon will actually surprise us and break the mold a bit here.

I mean, the market for 1-series users remains for... the 1-series. The CF Express + SD card slots speak to a more consumer philosophy along the lines of the EOS R5. The eye control and flip screen speak to a more consumer philosophy. The removal of the lower rear LCD and removal of WFT accessory point(no backwards compatibility for those who already dropped $600 on one) speak to more of a consumer philosophy.

If Canon has always continued the 1-series to be exactly what it's always been since the beginning of time, why would they turn the 1-series into a 3-series?As some others have said, if this camera "bridges" the R5 and 1-series, I still bet that it will match or exceed the resolution of the R5.

I mean, what kinds of consumers buy the 1-series? Historically, you see it being sports and wildlife consumers, who would both appreciate additional reach, since this is the market that also often ends up buying the 7D, which was always formerly considered to be a consumer's 1D. If Canon makes the R3 about 50 megapixels, the 1.6x crop mode will be very close to the 7D Mark II resolution, which would be a huge boost for this camera towards that market.

If the 1-series R1 turns out to suddenly be high-resolution with tons of untested cutting edge tech, you could lose a lot of the routine "pay whatever it takes" 1-series buyers who know what they can expect and can trust their cameras, while appealing more towards consumers who are worried about resolution, who will ultimately buy the R5 or the R3 because it costs less.

I know AP photographers who are routinely infuriated by their A9s and use their old 1-series cameras. Those are the commercial customers who both have a limitless budget for the 1-series and do not want to be blindsided by tech the way the AP and Sony forced them into.
Interesting H. Jones and you peaked my interest with your last paragraph. What, exactly are the AP photogs you know infuriated about with their A9's that causes them to pull out their 1Dx's??

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
But it might fly in the face of users. I have no particular need or desire for high MP in an R3, if I am at an event and shoot 3,500 images per day per body and the output is very rarely big prints, I simply don't need 30 or 40 or more MP.
I do have a need for higher MP as I am a professional bird and wildlife photographer. There are a lot of us out here. I can only speak for myself, but if the R3 comes in under 30MP I will likely pass on it. The R5 at 45 is really a great res for birds. I love my two R5s, but with a BSI stacked sensor and eye controlled AF I would love to give a 30-50MP R3 a go. So, I really do hope it is at least 30MP.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
But it might fly in the face of users. I have no particular need or desire for high MP in an R3, if I am at an event and shoot 3,500 images per day per body and the output is very rarely big prints, I simply don't need 30 or 40 or more MP.
I like to adjust the size of the files as I see fit for the client's needs.

Upvote 0

Kiton

Jun 13, 2015
I do have a need for higher MP as I am a professional bird and wildlife photographer. There are a lot of us out here. I can only speak for myself, but if the R3 comes in under 30MP I will likely pass on it. The R5 at 45 is really a great res for birds. I love my two R5s, but with a BSI stacked sensor and eye controlled AF I would love to give a 30-50MP R3 a go. So, I really do hope it is at least 30MP.
If the Sony A1 can do 50, the R3 can be at least very close. 40 (or anything over) is fine. I crop the shit out of some NHL frames on the R5, for that alone I do not want to go back to my 20mp 1d X mk 2 bodies.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
It doesn’t matter what I want, Canon are going to market what they think they can sell. For the record I will buy an R3 if it is 20mp or 45mp, I have uses for both. But it is supposed to fit in the range between the R5 and the 1DX III so I wouldn’t be surprised if the resolution was closer to 20 than 45 because looking at the physicality of it and the few specs we know so far it seems closer to the 1DX III.
'Physicality' does not dictate MP. But yeah, I also feel that it will be closer to 20 and not 45. I would prefer 45 with options of shooting lower MP.

Upvote 0

ClickIt_AC

Shoot First... ask questions later!
Dec 11, 2013
Yorkshire
www.alamy.com
Canon have stated ONE Digic X - exact same as R5.
OK... but there is only one Digic X in the 1DX iii however it is paired with a Digic 8 for AF so there could still be some headroom there to up the Mpx maybe... especially with gains on the new sensor factored in?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
My fear is that Canon continues the route to give more premium cameras a higher resolution sensor than and give low resolution sensor to the cheaper cameras than lack some features. That happened with the R5 and R6. People who prefer to have larger pixels get a lower quality camera that does not even have a top display. I hope that Canon will not repeat that with the R3 and R1, just because they now have the technology to combine a hight burst rate with a high resolution. If the R1 is the successor of the 1D X Mark III, I hope it will also have the same resolution. For people who want a high resolution, there could be an "R1s" or something like that.

The two different card slots remind me of my 1D Mark II, which has a CF and an SD slot. The result was that I only used the CF slot and often had to switch cards. By the time I bought it, a 1GB card was 109 Euros and I had to change those cards very often.

The suggested price of the R3 of $6000 is much too high for a camera that is not a flagship camera, even it is better than flagship cameras of the past.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Very good questions John,

I have been frustrated by the forced 20 frames on electronic shutter also. As an example, while shooting in the courthouse, I only need single frame, but want the silent!

With the R5 I have NEVER hit buffer shooting RAW to CFExpress, but when shooting backup jpegs to the SD I have hit buffer many times.
This body should have the option for dual CFexpress cards.
While shooting NHL playoff action, using mechanical shutter, not electronic, I have turned the resolution down for the backup jpegs to the SD card to reduce buffer issues!
That does bring into question the R3 as a pro sports camera if we can only shoot 30 FPS to one card.
On the other hand, it will be fine if it can shoot 30 FPS RAW to the CF Express while simultaneously recording 30 FPS JPEG to SD.
That is the way I shoot anyway and the RAW photo is just for when the JPEG is not good enough.
I would never want to edit nearly the amount of RAW files generated at 30 FPS.
I would hazard a guess that most people who only shoot RAW only take a reasonable amount of photos.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I know we're all just throwing stuff at a wall right now, but I am increasingly hopeful that Canon will actually surprise us and break the mold a bit here.

I mean, the market for 1-series users remains for... the 1-series. The CF Express + SD card slots speak to a more consumer philosophy along the lines of the EOS R5.
There have been only two Canon bodies with dual, identical card slots – the 1D X and 1D X III.

E6C9BB26-3251-4F50-895C-4CF2B8361C9F.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

st jack photography

..a shuttered lens, backwards viewing backwards..
Since day one of this announcement, I have been imagining and saying that the R3 is to the 1D(or R1) as the R6 is to the R5. Anything they do with the R3 is meant to compete with certain Sony bodies, cost more than the r5 but be better, but also leave room for the r1 to be the top-of-line flagship. This R3 sounds like a curious hybrid of R5 and 1D.

While I use that r3<r1=r6<r5 logic to predict a likely 24-30mp sensor, I also realize that the sensor is a new BSI stacked sensor. Because of that and my familiarity with BSI sensors, owning a Sony Rx1Rm2, I would predict that a BSI sensor of 46 to 62mp is possible, while also giving 30fps RAW. One can also conclude that if a rumored R1 is being produced, and given a BSI sensor too, then it may well have a similar mp count and be a scorching 40 to 60fps. I guess that whatever this camera has, the speculated-on R1 will be a bit better than the R3, mainly in shoot speed and burst.

Be advised, this is just speculation, PURE speculation.

I am a street photographer who shoots commercial work from time to time, so this camera would fit me well, I think. The 5DSr I had was great for commercial, but terrible for street work or any shot with ISO over 200, or any shot with movement while shooting slower shutters than 1/500.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Kiton

Jun 13, 2015
That does bring into question the R3 as a pro sports camera if we can only shoot 30 FPS to one card.
On the other hand, it will be fine if it can shoot 30 FPS RAW to the CF Express while simultaneously recording 30 FPS JPEG to SD.
That is the way I shoot anyway and the RAW photo is just for when the JPEG is not good enough.
I would never want to edit nearly the amount of RAW files generated at 30 FPS.
I would hazard a guess that most people who only shoot RAW only take a reasonable amount of photos.

In the early days, the SD card was really import for news shooters, the very first the 3rd party SD card reader for the iphone (forget the name of it), which had its own battery built in to allow transfer, then the first generation wifi card reader, then the Apple SD card reader for the iphone was a game changer coupled with a CF to SD adapter to Cfast and SD in a CF slot in the 1d.

Today the wifi and the apps are so good, the SD card is redundant for us.
Give me 2 CFexpress slots please.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Let's see drop the resolution by 50% and increase the price by 50%, sounds like a good idea to me! Well, Duh!
Low resolution is why the 1D X Mark III is so inexpensively priced. Oh, wait. There is more to a sensor than MP. There are things like speed and low-light performance. My R3 guess is around 30MP.

Upvote 0
Ive read on here several times that the R3 was to go toe-to-toe with the Z9 and A1...
I don't think so. That's the job of the R1. The A1 is priced at (body only) $6.500. The R3 will be in a lower price category. Canon writes that the R3 is "positioned squarely between the EOS R5 and EOS-1D X Mark III cameras", and the R3 price will be positioned there too.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
Anyone who has to recover 8 stops over-exposed images has a much deeper problem with photography I guess :devilish:
You don’t have to be a fool to neccesarly want to recover 8 stops of light. Cameras still today don’t have the same dynamic scene/range of what your eye sees when you are viewing something beautiful with a high dynamic range but wish to capture it as close as possible to the experience.

Upvote 0