More G Series PowerShot Cameras Coming for CES in January [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’re told at least 3 new PowerShot cameras are scheduled to be announced for CES in January, at least two of which will be a “G” series compact. If we had to take an educated guess, we think the G3 X will see a replacement close to the G1 X Mark III, but without the EVF and the G5 X will be a smaller sensor G1 X Mark III.</p>
<p>We have moved the <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/buyers-guide-category/powershot/">PowerShot G3 X to “Don’t Buy” in the Buyers Guide</a>.</p>

<p>We do not think the PowerShot G7 X Mark II will be replaced at CES and will likely come later at CP+. We don’t have the sales numbers, but the PowerShot G7 line seems to be the most popular of the “G” series cameras.</p>
<p>We still do not know if a new superzoom is coming, I get asked about an SX70 HS almost weekly, and sadly I have nothing to report on that front.</p>
<p><em>More to come…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Jul 20, 2010
djack41 said:
Big deal. Geez.

Not for you or many of us.

But it's a big deal to Canon.

"...As for the compact camera market, which continues to recover from the earthquake, we posted strong sales of such premium models as the G9X Mark II, which offers excellent portability...

...For compact cameras, as we are exceeding our expectations mainly with G-series models, we raised our projection and now expect our sales to be down 1% to 4 million units..."
- http://www.canon.com/ir/conference/pdf/conf2017q3e-sum.pdf

From http://www.canon.com/ir/conference/pdf/conf2017q3e.pdf:
Camera sales up 11.2%, Imaging operating profit up 31.1%.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
docsmith said:
I very much enjoy my G7X II. It is very capable if not impressive. Like so many things, it is more about being ISO limited (~800-1,000).

As for improvements, I'd love to see DPAF and an external mic jack. Also, if they could get the pop-up flash to extend just a little bit more off axis.

I have been very pleased with my G7X II. I bought it just over a year ago to take on a long driving trip through the Rockies that ended with coming home via the Deep South. http://www.stevelee.name/rockiesroadtrip/index.html I threw the S120 into my bag, too, as a backup, and just in case I found the extra thickness of the G unhandy. I wound up not using the S at all. The G didn't work in my shirt pocket, but pants and jacket pockets worked fine. And I have been quite pleased with the pictures. When I toured Britain in the spring, I didn't take the S120 along at all. I've made some prints on 13" x 19" paper to frame and hang on my walls, and they look great. I did not use the wifi function to get the GPS tags from my iPhone nearly as much as I should have, since I feared the drain on both batteries from leaving that on. Now I would have liked to know precisely where I was on the Irish coast at some points.

The 6D2 is my new toy, and I'm enjoying trying things with it. But it will stay home in December when I head to Hawaii. Years ago when I was more serious about photography, I had to stop taking a camera with me at all when I traveled so that I would do things other than take pictures. Now I can take a small, quality, unobtrusive camera with me, not be obsessed by photography, and still come home with pictures I can be proud of. And going through my pictures soon after each trip reinforces my memories.

I don't miss the slight extra zoom reach of the S120 (120mm equivalent vs. 100mm). And I realize that with the extra resolution of the G7X II, I can crop the picture more than enough to make up the difference, and still have a few more pixels.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Mt Spokane Photography said:
We are going to see lots of G series cameras, right now, they are selling well and making lots of profit. I think they keep a few lower end P&S cameras just to round out the line more than to sell in huge quantities.
Maybe they are selling in huge quantities but I'd be surprised if they are.
They are a very muddled offering these days.
There was a time they were the best compact camera you could get and alot of photographers (including me) had one as a second camera). The last one I had was a G12.
The Sony's have been hands down better cameras for years in this category with the RX100's.
For both Sony and Canon it seems to be an awful lot to pay for a cameras that's inferior to a cheaper DSLR.
I rarely meet people with either but that's not to say they don't sell very well. Maybe they do.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the link Woody. Now we know the sales volume for canon compact cameras :
"As for the compact camera market, which continues to recover from the earthquake, we posted
strong sales of such premium models as the G9X Mark II, which offers excellent portability.
Additionally, as our sales were at a low level due to the earthquake in the same quarter last year, our
unit sales in the third quarter of this year showed an increase of 13% to 850 thousand.
"

Upvote 0
Chaitanya said:
Do we expect a SX70HS or a superzoom camera with 1" sensor to compete with Panasonic FZ2000/Sony RX10?

Canon already has this covered, it is the G3 X. The SX70 line on the other hand is not about image quality, but about the most zoom they possibly can cram in a compact, so they use the smallest sensors reasonable to ease reaching this goal. The Nikon P900 presumably uses a very small sensor, holds the record with a 83 times zoom; and have you seen one in real life? They are huge. A 1" 83 times zoom could not even be carried by a single person, as the amount of glass required would be insane.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
Pascal Parvex said:
Chaitanya said:
Do we expect a SX70HS or a superzoom camera with 1" sensor to compete with Panasonic FZ2000/Sony RX10?

Canon already has this covered, it is the G3 X. The SX70 line on the other hand is not about image quality, but about the most zoom they possibly can cram in a compact, so they use the smallest sensors reasonable to ease reaching this goal. The Nikon P900 presumably uses a very small sensor, holds the record with a 83 times zoom; and have you seen one in real life? They are huge. A 1" 83 times zoom could not even be carried by a single person, as the amount of glass required would be insane.

Nikon P900 has same size sensor as SX60 HS or other Canon compacts (besides the G-series). It has a huge max 347 mm lens. It is a huge camera:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#571,612,ha,f

It has the size of a DSLR.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
Hector1970 said:
The Sony's have been hands down better cameras for years in this category with the RX100's.

Similar thing can be said about Sony A7 series of cameras.

However, 'better' (depends on who you talk to) does not translate into sales and market shares.

In the film days, Minolta, Olympus and Pentax also had 'better' cameras at one point or another... but look how they are doing now.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Pascal Parvex said:
Chaitanya said:

you must be joking about G3x competing with FZ2500 and RX10(III and IV), doesnt have EVF and is a laggard compared to other two both in terms of video and continuous shooting.

Upvote 0