More G Series PowerShot Cameras on the Way, G5 X Mark II to Feature 1\

photomachine

EOS M50
Sep 4, 2017
25
8
Re: G5 X Mark II to feature 20.2mp 1 inch DPAF equipped sensor?

privatebydesign said:
okaro said:
powershot2012 said:
Agree. Thought Canon learned a lesson with the G5X I.

At this point only looking forward to the G1X III... Just hope Canon doesn't screw that one up.

Wizardly said:
I'm disappointed that this won't get the APS-C sensor.
You just cannot have a large sensor in small form factor:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#257,534,637,ha,t

G1 X Mark II Depth 66 mm, weight 553 grams. G5 X Depth 44 mm, weight 377 grams.
Clearly somebody forgot to tell that to the designers of the EOS-M http://camerasize.com/compact/#637,351.349,534,ha,t
there, fixed it for you: http://camerasize.com/compact/#351.348,534,637,ha,t
 

Woody

EOS R
Jul 20, 2010
1,155
70
Re: G5 X Mark II to feature 20.2mp 1 inch DPAF equipped sensor?

photomachine said:
there, fixed it for you: http://camerasize.com/compact/#351.348,534,637,ha,t
Interestingly, in terms of weight:
EOS-M + kit lens = 508g
G1X MkII = 553g
G5X = 377g
 

privatebydesign

Garfield is back...
CR Pro
Jan 29, 2011
9,188
3,409
120
Re: G5 X Mark II to feature 20.2mp 1 inch DPAF equipped sensor?

photomachine said:
privatebydesign said:
okaro said:
powershot2012 said:
Agree. Thought Canon learned a lesson with the G5X I.

At this point only looking forward to the G1X III... Just hope Canon doesn't screw that one up.

Wizardly said:
I'm disappointed that this won't get the APS-C sensor.
You just cannot have a large sensor in small form factor:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#257,534,637,ha,t

G1 X Mark II Depth 66 mm, weight 553 grams. G5 X Depth 44 mm, weight 377 grams.
Clearly somebody forgot to tell that to the designers of the EOS-M http://camerasize.com/compact/#637,351.349,534,ha,t
there, fixed it for you: http://camerasize.com/compact/#351.348,534,637,ha,t
That didn't fix anything. The point I contested was "You just cannot have a large sensor in a small form factor" which is demonstrably false. Now, 'you cannot have a large sensor with an interchangeable lens with a wide zoom range in a small form factor' is probably closer to the truth.
 

photomachine

EOS M50
Sep 4, 2017
25
8
Re: G5 X Mark II to feature 20.2mp 1 inch DPAF equipped sensor?

privatebydesign said:
photomachine said:
privatebydesign said:
okaro said:
powershot2012 said:
Agree. Thought Canon learned a lesson with the G5X I.

At this point only looking forward to the G1X III... Just hope Canon doesn't screw that one up.

Wizardly said:
I'm disappointed that this won't get the APS-C sensor.
You just cannot have a large sensor in small form factor:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#257,534,637,ha,t

G1 X Mark II Depth 66 mm, weight 553 grams. G5 X Depth 44 mm, weight 377 grams.
Clearly somebody forgot to tell that to the designers of the EOS-M http://camerasize.com/compact/#637,351.349,534,ha,t
there, fixed it for you: http://camerasize.com/compact/#351.348,534,637,ha,t
That didn't fix anything. The point I contested was "You just cannot have a large sensor in a small form factor" which is demonstrably false. Now, 'you cannot have a large sensor with an interchangeable lens with a wide zoom range in a small form factor' is probably closer to the truth.
Well your comparison was pretty much based on the lens. If you compare body size of the G1X and the EOS-M, the G1X won't be bigger than the EOS-M, well slightly if you count that the display folds out.

By your logic, you could make the "You just cannot have a large sensor in a small form factor" point by comparing size like this: http://camerasize.com/compact/#351.15.2,655.345,ha,t

Not a fair comparison, neither is a comparing a 35mm with a 24-120mm zoom.
 

Wizardly

EOS M6 Mark II
Sep 13, 2014
80
2
Re: G5 X Mark II to feature 20.2mp 1 inch DPAF equipped sensor?

okaro said:
powershot2012 said:
Agree. Thought Canon learned a lesson with the G5X I.

At this point only looking forward to the G1X III... Just hope Canon doesn't screw that one up.

Wizardly said:
I'm disappointed that this won't get the APS-C sensor.
Really?

http://camerasize.com/compact/#562.360,534,ha,t


You just cannot have a large sensor in small form factor:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#257,534,637,ha,t

G1 X Mark II Depth 66 mm, weight 553 grams. G5 X Depth 44 mm, weight 377 grams.
 

AvTvM

EOS R6
Nov 4, 2011
3,165
0
Re: The PowerShot G5 X Mark II to Feature 1 inch DPAF 20.2mp Sensor?

EOS M, M2, M10, M100 are currently the most compact way to package an APS-C sensor.

most other camera bodies are way too big compared to the sensor they hold. this applies to G1X I abd II as well as to almost all Fujifilm and Olympus mFT products (behemoth OMD 1 with tiny quarterformat sensor).

absolute masterpiece in terms of body size to sensor size is Sony RX1R II ... outstanding FF sensor in the smallest possible package. If it came with (FE) lens mount up front instead of stupid, boring, bolted-on 35mm fixed lens, i would buy it. still hoping for aT least obe ultracompact yet fully capable Canon FF EOS camera ... with new native EF-X mount, if course ... and a couple of nice pancakes and ultracompact f/4 zooms to go with it.

powershot ... not interested any longer, although my first Canon camera was a Powershot S-40. user interface is too crippled.
 

okaro

EOS 90D
Oct 10, 2015
132
9
Re: G5 X Mark II to feature 20.2mp 1 inch DPAF equipped sensor?

privatebydesign said:
Clearly somebody forgot to tell that to the designers of the EOS-M http://camerasize.com/compact/#637,351.349,534,ha,t
A prime lens with no IS. Hardly a compatible package to a camera with zoom, IS and EVF. Even with all that the EOS M is bulkier and new bodies are even heavier. Btw I have that. Here is my old and new light package:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#351.349,697,ha,t

Do you know how much I have worried that the G9 X does not have an APS-C sensor. Not at all.

Here is a better comparison:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#684.583,637,ha,t

The site does not offer 15-45 zoom but the 28 mm is same size.
 

okaro

EOS 90D
Oct 10, 2015
132
9
Re: G5 X Mark II to feature 20.2mp 1 inch DPAF equipped sensor?

privatebydesign said:
That didn't fix anything. The point I contested was "You just cannot have a large sensor in a small form factor" which is demonstrably false. Now, 'you cannot have a large sensor with an interchangeable lens with a wide zoom range in a small form factor' is probably closer to the truth.
I just hate that kind of nitpicking. Every statement has a context. The context here clearly was zoom cameras as one is making a replacement to zoom cameras. Note that I did not bring IL cameras into the discussion. I showed how G1 X is much larger than G5 X.
 

okaro

EOS 90D
Oct 10, 2015
132
9
Re: G5 X Mark II to feature 20.2mp 1 inch DPAF equipped sensor?

photomachine said:
Well your comparison was pretty much based on the lens. If you compare body size of the G1X and the EOS-M, the G1X won't be bigger than the EOS-M, well slightly if you count that the display folds out.

By your logic, you could make the "You just cannot have a large sensor in a small form factor" point by comparing size like this: http://camerasize.com/compact/#351.15.2,655.345,ha,t

Not a fair comparison, neither is a comparing a 35mm with a 24-120mm zoom.
Body size is really irrelevant as one cannot take images with the body alone. Also the main issue was the size of the G5 X. The issue was whether it should get an APS-C sensor. My point is that it would ruin the camera.
 

AvTvM

EOS R6
Nov 4, 2011
3,165
0
Re: G5 X Mark II to feature 20.2mp 1 inch DPAF equipped sensor?

okaro said:
... Also the main issue was the size of the G5 X. The issue was whether it should get an APS-C sensor. My point is that it would ruin the camera.
I fully agree. If I were in charge at Canon 8) :p ... then
* "Powershot" brand would be used for compacts with built in zoom and 1" sensor only [G3X/5X/7X/9X, whatever]
* there would be either no G1X series or it would also come with 1" sensor
* all cameras with APS-C [or FF] sensors would be "EOS" branded and come with lens mount (! EF, -S, -M, -X for future FF mirrorless) and feature a full, regular EOS User Interface ... instead of the crippled, dumbed-down Powershot UI.
 

Jopa

EOS R
Dec 11, 2015
1,054
0
Re: The PowerShot G5 X Mark II to Feature 1 inch DPAF 20.2mp Sensor?

mistaspeedy said:
I have no idea how accurate this information is, but the angry photographer says the D850 sensor was designed by a company formerly owned by Panasonic, but was sold to an Israeli company (Towerjazz). The fab that actually manufacturers them is in Japan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whZGDpAZiSI
http://www.funtechtalk.com/makes-image-sensor-nikon-d850-camera-not-sony/

There are other articles and sources stating the same.... again, I have no idea how accurate the information is.
Interesting. Apparently Sony is now holding their sensor technologies for themselves. And it's awesome Nikon was able to find a different source and do not depend on a competitor.