More Images of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II

Nov 4, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
raptor3x said:
East Wind Photography said:
you know this no wifi thing has got me pondering a bit. If the rumor is true that multiple 7DII can sync time with each other, it would seem that they have to have some kind of wifi going there to make that happen. One could assume that a GPS enabled camera could get it's time from the GPS sats and all should be within 50 ms of each other. However it was specifically mentioned that the cameras can sync time together. That to me means some kind of wireless communication is going on. Wifi would be the easiest way to do that with current tech.

I'd lean more towards the camera having a built in radio commander that can act as a wireless trigger than a true wi-fi setup.

I'd lean more towards you needing to buy a WFT-E7 II for each camera on which you want to sync the time. I know you think I'm probably joking, I wish I could say that I was...

You beat me, just wanted to reply with the same "suspicion", Neuro. This is Canon, after all. :)

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
x-vision said:
7DMarkIV said:
This is not a troll attempt, i really would like to hear people's thoughts on the upcoming 7D Mark II when put up against the new Nikon D750.

Technically, the 7DII and the D750 are not supposed to be compared, as one is FF and the one is crop.
The two cameras will be close in price, though. So, they will both be under consideration for enthusiasts looking to step up from their current gear.
And to me at least, the D750 is much more appealing than the 7DII.

When Canon and Nikon announced their entry-level FF cameras, I was underwhelmed.
Despite the 'entry-level' moniker, these are still premium, expensive cameras.
And yet, except for the FF sensors, their specs are somewhat modest (especially the 6D).

The D750 fully addresses my concerns.
With a modern FF sensor and an advanced AF system, it's a camera that can last me for years.
Thus, the higher prices tag becomes justifiable for me.

I can't say the same thing about the 7DII.
I'm still a crop user and I was hoping that the 7DII would have an updated sensor.
From the rumored specs, though, the sensor doesn't promise to be a meaningful improvement.
So, despite the great specs, its appeal as an upgrade option for me is limited.

Not that I'll be switching to Nikon right away.
But it's very nice to know that there's a very appealing FF camera out there with specs that are tailored to my needs, basically.
And whenever I get the urge to switch to FF, I can do it without a second thought 8).

I agree with you. 7D II really looks more like a specialized solution for focal length limited, good light action shooters (sports, wildlife, birds, etc.). Nikon 750D looks like the most affordable, decently capable, UNIVERSAL digital camera. While in Canon land, the "cheapest" such solution currently is a 5D III. Both 6D and D610 unfortunately are too crippled as serious, longer-term useful, UNIVERSAL cameras - if moving subjects and challenging lighting conditions are also encountered shooting scenarios.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Efka76 said:
I am looking at Canon 7D MKII specs and I am quite surprised that Canon who is a leader in image making made such a poor job. The reasoning is as follows:

1) MKII version is released after 5 years!!!! This is extremely long period of time for technology makers.
2) 7D at release date was the best APS-C camera which was using breaktrough technology, however, looking at current 7D MkII specs I do not see any INOVATIONS.
3) Looking at current 7D MK II specs I see very little effort from Canon side:
a) Practically the same body design - no efforts in this area. I like this design but I am a bit surprised that Canon goes such way
b) 2 DIGIC 6 processors - it is very simple to replace DIGIC 4 processors with current DIGIC 6 processors. Absolutely no efforts required. I would have expected DIGIC 7 processors. Of course dual DIGIC 6 will bu much better than older processors.
c) AF technology form 1DX and dual pixel technology - no efforts from Canon side. They just simply included very good autofocus in this camera. I expected a bit more from them.
4) Sensor - everybody expected to see a new technology in this area, which would put Canon and Nikon sensors on the same plate. Now it is very big disappointment from Canon side.

By all means, the new 7D MkII will be extremely good camera with much better autofocus, better battery, GPS (personnaly GPS and WiFi are not needed features for me but RT technology would be useful). Canon could release such camera at least 2-3 years ago as we see that it just implemented a current technology in this camera but it lacks innovations which we see especially in Sony.

Will I buy this camera? Definitely not :) That's because my current 7D is very good camera, I am happy with AF abilities (mainly shoot weddings and studio) and have intentions to buy FF camera (5D MKIII or MK IV) :)

1. so? the D300 as it's peer never really got a replacement? the 1 Series bodies go around 4 years, the 5 series around 3-4 years. there was a rumor that canon was having yield issues that pushed back releases this year - otherwise, it would have been around 4.5 years, right really around target.

2. it has probably one of the most advanced AF's and a new metering sensor that may even handle metering skin far better than any other meter out there (uses IR versus RGB). as far as the rest of the specs, it's hard to say if the dual AF between off and on sensor is in place, and a mydrid of other things that may or may not be there - how do you know what innovations are in play? is it the first DSLR that supports both EVF and OVF? (it may support an external hotshoe EVF)

3a) well no sh*t .. it should have nearly the same layout. this isnt sony here, who's design teams smoke some funky stuff and change things each release with a new blend. i want to pick up a camera with a blindfold on and know where the buttons are.

3b) I'm so glad we have a thermal and power engineer in house - can you tell me how processors running faster, and potentially more heat dissipation,etc are a direct replacement? DiGiC 6 may also bring forward a bunch of stuff - such as on hotshoe EVF, focus stacking, and peaking. DiGiC 6 I'm actually quite excited to see what they brought forward from the G1xII and other cameras that use it currently (have you checked?)

3c) really? let's see .. 1DX has 61 point AF. the 7D has 65 point AF. something doesn't seem the same here. also we don't know if canon is marrying their on sensor PDAF with the iTR PDAF sensor as per a patent a little while ago - this could be canon's most accurate AF - ever. or another patent that would automate the MFA process.

4) we don't know. we simply know it's the same sensor size. this actually amuses me - so many people weigh in and say .. canon didn't improve the sensor - the sensor was never the flipping problem - it's the readout that blows. for all we know canon implemented their dual sloping ADC on the sensor die and used the same base sensor as the 70D. that would achieve entirely better performance.

the 7D was a good camera - I use one. i'll be happy to replace it with a faster unit that certainly does more than 3 AEB and dual card slots.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
x-vision said:
7DMarkIV said:
This is not a troll attempt, i really would like to hear people's thoughts on the upcoming 7D Mark II when put up against the new Nikon D750.

Technically, the 7DII and the D750 are not supposed to be compared, as one is FF and the one is crop.
The two cameras will be close in price, though. So, they will both be under consideration for enthusiasts looking to step up from their current gear.

When Canon and Nikon announced their entry-level FF cameras, I was underwhelmed.
And yet, except for the FF sensors, their specs are somewhat modest (especially the 6D).

With a modern FF sensor and an advanced AF system, it's a camera that can last me for years.

I'm still a crop user and I was hoping that the 7DII would have an updated sensor.
From the rumored specs, though, the sensor doesn't promise to be a meaningful improvement.

But it's very nice to know that there's a very appealing FF camera out there with specs that are tailored to my needs, basically.
And whenever I get the urge to switch to FF, I can do it without a second thought 8).

I agree with you. 7D II really looks more like a specialized solution for focal length limited, good light action shooters (sports, wildlife, birds, etc.). Nikon 750D looks like the most affordable, decently capable, UNIVERSAL digital camera. While in Canon land, the "cheapest" such solution currently is a 5D III. Both 6D and D610 unfortunately are too crippled as serious, longer-term useful, UNIVERSAL cameras - if moving subjects and challenging lighting conditions are also encountered shooting scenarios.

The Canon 5DIII has been the best all-rounder for years already and can be had right now for the price of the Nikon 750D, whenever that comes out. So Nikon comes out with a 5DIII competitor, 2 1/2 years late. How exciting.

The 5DIII has been pretty good to me. I'll look for an awful lot in a 5D4 or other cam in order to justify replacement, mostly in video improvement, because for stills it's just great. If the 5D4 isn't amazing for video, I'll stick with the 5DIII and add a C100 or C100markII when the time comes.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
AvTvM said:
7D II really looks more like a specialized solution for focal length limited, good light action shooters (sports, wildlife, birds, etc.). Nikon 750D looks like the most affordable, decently capable, UNIVERSAL digital camera.

It may look like that, but I bet the 7DII outsells the D750 by a significant margin.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Sporgon said:
I hope for the sake of those potential 7DII users the rear wheel doesn't feel like the 6D. I see it now has some four way function set inside it, it looks very much like the 6D outer wheel, but hopefully it won't feel like it to use.

Having used the 7d for three years and the 6d now for nearly a year I find no problem using the D pad on the 6d. I do prefer the joystick on the 7d as its quicker. Overall Im really happy with the 6d its IQ is so much better than the 7d but then again the IQ on my Olympus OM-D E-M10 is better than the 7d which really shows its age now regarding IQ.

As to the 7d MKII its good to see the control layout is near identical if it aint broke don't fix it.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
x-vision said:
7DMarkIV said:

The 6d IQ is outstanding and aside from AF points what is basic in the 6d? Ive used this camera at air shows, race tracks, concerts, travel photography, landscape, macro and been pleased with the results far more often than any other digital camera Ive owned.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
raptor3x said:
I'd lean more towards the camera having a built in radio commander that can act as a wireless trigger than a true wi-fi setup.

I'd lean more towards you needing to buy a WFT-E7 II for each camera on which you want to sync the time. I know you think I'm probably joking, I wish I could say that I was...

Ugh, I'd really like to think that they'll include at least some basic RT functionality built into the body but you're probably correct.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
raptor3x said:
neuroanatomist said:
raptor3x said:

maybe they included the 1DX's Gigabit lan port?

Ugh, I'd really like to think that they'll include at least some basic RT functionality built into the body but you're probably correct.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
AvTvM said:
Both 6D and D610 unfortunately are too crippled as serious, longer-term useful, UNIVERSAL cameras - if moving subjects and challenging lighting conditions are also encountered shooting scenarios.

Baloney. I've used my 5D classic in challenging lighting conditions with moving subjects, including R/C airplane and helicopter night-fly events. It may not be as good as a Mark III or 1DX at that, but it still did the job, and I expect the 6D would have even better performance in such situations.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Lee Jay said:
drmikeinpdx said:
Just small incremental upgrades. Not much to show for all the years of development if you ask me. I'll skip the mark II, thank you.

Since I skipped the 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D and 7D, this looks like a huge upgrade to me over the 20D I shot with (very successfully) all day today.

I'm shooting with a 60D and it looks like a huge upgrade :)

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Don Haines said:
Lee Jay said:
drmikeinpdx said:
Just small incremental upgrades. Not much to show for all the years of development if you ask me. I'll skip the mark II, thank you.

Since I skipped the 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D and 7D, this looks like a huge upgrade to me over the 20D I shot with (very successfully) all day today.

My biggest question is, should I get a 70D or a 7DII? Some advantages for each. I'll wait for the announcement and first tests on the sensor of the 7DII before I make a decision.

Interestingly, I was considering between 70D & 6D versus 7DII & 5DIII. I like my 20D and 5D because they basically have the same user interface. But, for what I use it for, the 6D would actually probably be better than the 5DIII (WiFi would help at times, GPS would certainly help to keep the clock accurate, the low-light focusing point is probably more useful for me than the 5DIII's advanced super-fast focusing). So my wife basically told me to suck it up and get the 7DII and 6D, and just learn to handle the UI differences. Still thinking about that, but she probably has a point.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Lee Jay said:
Don Haines said:
Lee Jay said:
drmikeinpdx said:

My biggest question is, should I get a 70D or a 7DII? Some advantages for each. I'll wait for the announcement and first tests on the sensor of the 7DII before I make a decision.

Interestingly, I was considering between 70D & 6D versus 7DII & 5DIII. I like my 20D and 5D because they basically have the same user interface. But, for what I use it for, the 6D would actually probably be better than the 5DIII (WiFi would help at times, GPS would certainly help to keep the clock accurate, the low-light focusing point is probably more useful for me than the 5DIII's advanced super-fast focusing). So my wife basically told me to suck it up and get the 7DII and 6D, and just learn to handle the UI differences. Still thinking about that, but she probably has a point.
At the moment, we don't have a clue if Canon has addressed the noise problem or not.... I give it 50/50 odds. Rumours say a new sensor, yet at the same size as the 70D. It is possible that the 70D sensor was the first "kick at the cat" for an APS-C sensor with finer lithography and that the 7D2 builds on that sensor and adds in cleaner A/D... It would certainly make sense, but it is just a guess... We should find out in a week or so.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
Lee Jay said:
Don Haines said:
Lee Jay said:
drmikeinpdx said:

At the moment, we don't have a clue if Canon has addressed the noise problem or not.... I give it 50/50 odds. Rumours say a new sensor, yet at the same size as the 70D. It is possible that the 70D sensor was the first "kick at the cat" for an APS-C sensor with finer lithography and that the 7D2 builds on that sensor and adds in cleaner A/D... It would certainly make sense, but it is just a guess... We should find out in a week or so.

To me its impossible to compare the 7d2 to a 70d. They wont have the same af system...in fact the wont have much in common to compare except for maybe the sensor. The 7d2 is an upgrade to the 7d and its sensor will be better than the 7d.

The 70d to the 7d2 is like comparing the 60d to the 7d. Similar sensor but the system cannot be compared. They have different feature sets and different capabilities. One is consumer grade one is semi-pro grade.

I am just waiting for the preorders to start for the 7d2. The 70d is not even a consideration for me and never has.

Upvote 0