More information about the upcoming RF mount Cinema EOS series of cameras [CR2]

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Alexa and Red are also not the 'full frame' you mention
Well to be fair, both Alexa and Red make FF sensor cameras for the last couple years, but Super 35 is STILL the far away most used format. A full frame Alexa Mini LF was used to shoot 1917 for example. But again, most films are still shot in Super35

Upvote 0

marathonman

CR Pro
Aug 29, 2016
You didn't miss anything. People are upset that a "Cupcake of the Month Club" membership wasn't included in the purchase price... even though Canon never said there would be cupcakes. ;)
Couldn't they put a cupcake in the space vacated by the mirror? They probably could also include a little heater as well to keep the cupcake warm until you want to eat it? I mean nobody wants to eat cold cupcakes do they....

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I really can’t get over he amount of junk ads on this site, seriously annoying, has to be one of the worst sites that I visit. Seriously pathetic, especially on a phone where they jump your text as they load.

So...maybe use a browser with ad blockers? I haven't seen an ad on this site (or YouTube videos, or anywhere) in years. You could try Brave on its own or Firefox with Ad-Block Plus, like I do. Takes about the same effort to install as writing a post criticizing a forum website. :p

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
The crop factor itself is not really the problem. Being significantly different to stills images, using different lenses for stills and video etc. that is annoying to deal with.

With video cameras, there is no issue because they are not for taking stills, e.g. one purpose only.
Yep, this is the correct answer. The crop is basically a problem for two reasons

1. It makes you shift fields of view between different modes, which is annoying; workable, but annoying. And when competitors do it without crops (a7III, GH5, etc), it stands out.

2. People will accept it if it means the sharpest possible video as a result. So, for example you dont really see people complaining that the FUJI XT cameras crop in some modes, because they are class leading video. Almost nobody complained that the GH4 cropped in 4k60 because no other cam had 4k60.

Canon's problem was bringing weak video performance AND having weird items that were crippled

Upvote 0

marathonman

CR Pro
Aug 29, 2016
Canon's problem was bringing weak video performance......

Gotta love keyboard warriors....
As far as I can tell from the clickbait YouTubers and this pointless discussion since the release of R5.... the 8K and 4K HQ quality is superior to a great camera like the Sony A7s iii. Canon also has "standard quality" 4K which most people can't tell the difference between vs 4K HQ etc. Once you add sharpening to the standard 4K, it's virtually indistinguishable from the 4K HQ even if you pause it, zoom in to 300% and pixel peep. Once you bring movement in to the frame the difference is also negligible.
Plus the AF and IBIS is phenomenal.

So weak video performance....

If the device isn't for you, then buy something else that is. There are so many amazing options out there. What a time to be alive and filming cats....

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

The thing that gets me about these various video specs, Canon have been beaten up about cropping their ff sensors in their hybrid cameras yet when a video camera is announced it has a S35 sensor and people think it’s fantastic. Same with the smaller still sensor in the GH5 and even more so the GH5s, best thing ever; if you ignore the three quarter crop!

What gives? You either ‘need’ a 135 format sensor for that ‘cinematic look’ or you don’t, if you don’t go back and make amends for the bullshit you spewed about crop video modes.
You generalize a lot... It's not entirely about the sensor size ( Though some may want you to think different :sneaky:). There are different camps of folk with different equipment and needs. Yes, some buyers absolutely want FF because that is what they've been told and then there are those that don't mind an S35 sensor because A) its an easy compromise when you're getting that clean DGO sensor & B) if you're already in the line of video work w/ cine cameras then there is a high chance you already have a set of S35 primes. I like FF for easier composition and because I believe the industry is moving in that direction but I also can't afford to personally own the FF cine cameras I want at ~$40K and I don't want to give up other features for the sake of FF. There is an array of different tools the GH5 & GH5s gave you that were reasons they're so beloved... Not all about crop.. So many factors.. So many use cases. You can't generalize.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

Smaller than the C100 and C200?! I assumed it would be close to that size and much smaller than the new C500 II and C300 III. But man, smaller than the C100 is amazing.
I need to understand the differences between the C300 III and this "R300" other than physical size, SDI, & RAW light ( Which may come later to R300?). Like what is the road map for an early adopter of such a camera?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
You generalize a lot... It's not entirely about the sensor size ( Though some may want you to think different :sneaky:). There are different camps of folk with different equipment and needs. Yes, some buyers absolutely want FF because that is what they've been told and then there are those that don't mind an S35 sensor because A) its an easy compromise when you're getting that clean DGO sensor & B) if you're already in the line of video work w/ cine cameras then there is a high chance you already have a set of S35 primes. I like FF for easier composition and because I believe the industry is moving in that direction but I also can't afford to personally own the FF cine cameras I want at ~$40K and I don't want to give up other features for the sake of FF. There is an array of different tools the GH5 & GH5s gave you that were reasons they're so beloved... Not all about crop.. So many factors.. So many use cases. You can't generalize.
Then why have all the naysayers generalized that Canon video specs in their hybrids are DOA because of a crop factor that is now seen as largely insignificant?

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The Sony doesn't record RAW internally at all, let alone 8k. Try again.

And, if I recall correctly, it overheats, and when it overheats, it totally bricks (rather than just letting you switch to other modes) until it cools down, AND it will trash what's on your card as it does so.

All this, and as an added extra bonus, it's 12 whole megapixels!!!

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
And, if I recall correctly, it overheats, and when it overheats, it totally bricks (rather than just letting you switch to other modes) until it cools down, AND it will trash what's on your card as it does so.

All this, and as an added extra bonus, it's 12 whole megapixels!!!

I mean it's just farcical that anyone thinks the A7Siii is a better camera than the R5, though admittedly it might be better for some very specific use cases.

Upvote 0

pmjm

R5, 1DX Mk II, 5D Mk IV, four 90D's
Sep 8, 2016
The Sony doesn't record RAW internally at all, let alone 8k. Try again.

Not internally, no. But the previous poster never mentioned internal, and they even said 4k raw was not a requirement just a pipe dream. But to get decent 4k out of the R5 you need an external recorder ANYWAY. The R5's 8K mode is, for all intents and purposes, a gimmick.

I own an R5 and have personally tested what it can do, and I'm willing to jump through the hoops I need to in order to use it as a video camera because I'm already so invested in the EF lens ecosystem. But at the end of the day I concede that the Sony is a far better video camera. If the EF-E mount adapters worked as well as Canon's EF-RF did, I would jump ship in a heartbeat.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

Then why have all the naysayers generalized that Canon video specs in their hybrids are DOA because of a crop factor that is now seen as largely insignificant?
I don't know who these "naysayers" are and it makes little difference to me... Just understand that sensor size is not the ultimate decider when other features are on the line. You were generalizing that all buyers were throwing fits about it. This is a post about cinema cameras, which historically have largely been S35 until recent. So when you see a new cinema camera that has people excited about specs, you need to understand the field before you complain and get grouped with the same people that generalize that you so loathe.

Upvote 0
FF is a photographers obsession where it is much easier to keep things in focus. If you are shooting a 50 1.2 wide open it will have to be locked off on sticks and that is boring. Imagine trying to keep a 50 1.2 wide open on a FF camera while shoulder rigged running down a country path. If this camera comes with R5 class IAF it could be an absolute game changer in that respect. But this is canon so I am not holding my breath.

Some one asked why RED doesn't have an RF mount. Becuase people that can afford a RED can afford cinema lenses and a crew. And the same reason they don't have an L mount. No one uses them. It will be interesting to see if Canon brings any RF mount cine glass with this camera and if there will be any new adapter options like RF to PL. The RF 50 1.2 would probably be a $30,000 lens if done as a cine lens.
It also doesn’t help that the whole fly by wire thing is a real pain in the ass for focusing, RF lenses will not be great cinema lenses because of this. Now if they do a cinema series of RF lenses that’s a different story. And full frame is a pain in the ass to pull focus at those wide-open aperture‘s but if you have a really good focus puller you would never know any difference, the Netflix series Altered Carbon was shot using large format Arri’s mostly with canon cinema glass and The cinematography is epic

Upvote 0