More on the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV in 2016 [CR2]

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
ironfreak said:
Canon will surprise everyone with 6D Mark II.

I give that zero chance of being announced before the 5D4. This is the game that seems to be playing out:

1) Announce 1DX II and promote it with marketing materials, promotional videos, etc.
2) Amass 1DX II pre-orders.
3) Let the market stew and wait for a bit.
4) Between the time the 1DX ships and the 5D4 is announced, flood the market with reviews and forums posts of happy 1DX II users.
5) People waiting for the 5D4 might pull the trigger on the 1DX II rather than wait for the 5D4.

Now repeat 1-5 but replace the 1DX II references with 5D4 and replace the original 5D4 references with the 6D2. The same thing will happen.

Doing this out of order -- announcing the 6D2 first -- would seem to be unwise for Canon to do.

- A

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
CR Forum: "You're late."

Canon: "Canon is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to."

Soniticus 18:2,4 "And he cried out with a strong voice, saying: “It has fallen! Canon the Great has fallen!"
“Get out of it, my people, if you do not want to share with it in its sins, and if you do not want to receive part of its plagues."

8)

Upvote 0
carnt help noticing so many whinging about the 5d4 shipping late!
remember about this time last year rumors of the 1D2 where about the forum and canon stated that it would be the only DLSR with 4k.
well you all threw your toys out of your prams and crying its not on the new 5d there would be no sales and all would move to sony/nikon.
Well it seems Canon where hearing what you say, and said to their engineers find a way to get 4k on the 5D?
so this may well have put the release date of the 5D4 back by twelve months.
so stop whinging, be patient, put up or shut up

Upvote 0
fentiger said:
Well it seems Canon where hearing what you say, and said to their engineers find a way to get 4k on the 5D?
so this may well have put the release date of the 5D4 back by twelve months.

If this is the reason why 5D4 is comming later, then is worth it to wait. But we will never now ...Canon paths are very blurred :)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
canonic said:
neuroanatomist said:

Canon: "Canon is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to."

Soniticus 18:2,4 "And he cried out with a strong voice, saying: “It has fallen! Canon the Great has fallen!"
“Get out of it, my people, if you do not want to share with it in its sins, and if you do not want to receive part of its plagues."

8)

Yes this is indeed the doom and gloom thread. I like the playpen analogy too! Not saying I don't have any sympathy but ...... ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
Jack Douglas said:
canonic said:
neuroanatomist said:

8)

Yes this is indeed the doom and gloom thread. I like the playpen analogy too! Not saying I don't have any sympathy but ...... ;)

Jack

I think all the whining is well served, this is similar to what happened in the 7D MkII threads and it was clear how well Canon was listening and responding to all the whining about the late release of that piece of equipment. Carry on on you fair weather friends of Canon, they are listening, I'm certain that they've boosted up production protocol just due to this thread.. How exciting!! :eek: :eek: ::) ::)

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
From "I want it yesterday" to "My friends and I have all been complaining" to "Canon is late" ...Wow, simply just WOW.

I'm imagining a board meeting of the C Suites at Canon, suddenly a red light starts flashing and someone screams" They are disappointed at Canon Rumors, a member with 1827 posts is calling the 5DlV late!"

Production is ramped up, an 8K module and sensor with better DR is installed. Nikon files for bankruptcy.

Upvote 0
I don't get the "Oh it's too late. I'm switching brands" talk. I know that Canon's cycle is every 4 years. It should be no surprise to anyone posting in Canon Rumors right now. We know the game. We'll have to see the official specs when Canon announces it. Simple stuff.

I'm a filmmaker who cannot afford Canon's C-line. The 5D Mark III is useless at this point for me. I'm pretty sure the Canon 5D Mark IV will beat Canon C100 Mark II. That's why it's not too late for me and I'm not switching brands.

The photography part is true though with what you guys say "You don't need a newer camera to take great pictures." However, I do need the latest stuff to get great video. So if you're a wedding videographer, I understand why you want to leave Canon and go to Sony.

I cannot afford Canon 1DX Mark II because it's too expensive and does not fit my needs, but the 5D Mark IV is right. I'm hoping it has C-log right out of the box. I have my doubts that Canon is going to do that. I think it's lame to withhold it to protect their C-line. It's just a flat profile.

Upvote 0
Maiaibing said:
Mr. Milo said:
The 5D Mark III is useless at this point for me. ..That's why it's not too late for me

Sort of doesn't quite add up... ;)

I didn't use "sort of" in my previous post so I don't know what you're talking about. I got into videography last year and got a 5D Mark II. Upgrading to a 5D Mark III is useless at this point for me with the upcoming 5D Mark IV. I'll just use the money that I would have spent on a 5D Mark III to get the Mark IV instead.

Upvote 0
Mr. Milo said:
Maiaibing said:
Mr. Milo said:
The 5D Mark III is useless at this point for me. ..That's why it's not too late for me

Sort of doesn't quite add up... ;)

I didn't use "sort of" in my previous post so I don't know what you're talking about. I got into videography last year and got a 5D Mark II. Upgrading to a 5D Mark III is useless at this point for me with the upcoming 5D Mark IV. I'll just use the money that I would have spent on a 5D Mark III to get the Mark IV instead.

With the additional information your post makes some more sense but I agree your original comment didn't really add up, kind of contradictory.

Upvote 0
slclick said:
From "I want it yesterday" to "My friends and I have all been complaining" to "Canon is late" ...Wow, simply just WOW.

I'm imagining a board meeting of the C Suites at Canon, suddenly a red light starts flashing and someone screams" They are disappointed at Canon Rumors, a member with 1827 posts is calling the 5DlV late!"

Production is ramped up, an 8K module and sensor with better DR is installed. Nikon files for bankruptcy.

LMAO! A verse from Lamentations...

..but where will the Canonites journey? Will no one hear their cries of woe!? With much wailing and gnashing of teeth, the Canonites did wander into the wilderness, collecting and saving their berries for the much vaulted 1DX II but alas, it is seemingly unfitting as the most virtuous of specifications contained therein doth not quench the deepest thirst. Tis the 5D4 which they seek, but patience knows not such passion and many gripped in the daily offerings of such speculation doth take pause as they remain curled on the floor, silently rocking within the corner of their darkened basement, and in a moment of maddening solitude, embrace in an epiphany, the immortal, yet chilling words of the 5D4 Raven sent by Canon - "Nevermore".

From the Biblical to Poe.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
gunship01 said:
slclick said:

LMAO! A verse from Lamentations...

..but where will the Canonites journey? Will no one hear their cries of woe!? With much wailing and gnashing of teeth, the Canonites did wander into the wilderness, collecting and saving their berries for the much vaulted 1DX II but alas, it is seemingly unfitting as the most virtuous of specifications contained therein doth not quench the deepest thirst. Tis the 5D4 which they seek, but patience knows not such passion and many gripped in the daily offerings of such speculation doth take pause as they remain curled on the floor, silently rocking within the corner of their darkened basement, and in a moment of maddening solitude, embrace in an epiphany, the immortal, yet chilling words of the 5D4 Raven sent by Canon - "Nevermore".

From the Biblical to Poe.

Two obviously educated members. That just made this a great thread. :) :) :)

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Sabaki said:
Wondering if as many 5Diii owners will not upgrade, considering the trend when mark ii users didn't go to 3.

Just a quick question, how many better is IQ on the 5Diii vs the 5D classic?

I won't upgrade but I will replace if mine dies. Or if I develop a need for a 2nd body than a refurb of a 5D4/X or 6D2 will be considered (2018 anyone?)

Upvote 0