More on the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV in 2016 [CR2]

mitchelljd said:
Well, this is a bit disappointing. Had hoped for a spring to early summer release.

Reality is Canon sticking to slow product refreshes may drive me over to Sony.

I have a few L Series lenses, but it does get frustrating when it's such a long delay between this and the Mark III. At least Sony refreshes their cameras about yearly, sometimes sooner.

I for one will never tire of people's first posts claiming to be long time Canon users suddenly deciding to convert to Sony (or occasionally Nikon).

(PS if you're real, why is yearly refresh a good thing?)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
scyrene said:
mitchelljd said:
Well, this is a bit disappointing. Had hoped for a spring to early summer release.

Reality is Canon sticking to slow product refreshes may drive me over to Sony.

I have a few L Series lenses, but it does get frustrating when it's such a long delay between this and the Mark III. At least Sony refreshes their cameras about yearly, sometimes sooner.

I for one will never tire of people's first posts claiming to be long time Canon users suddenly deciding to convert to Sony (or occasionally Nikon).

(PS if you're real, why is yearly refresh a good thing?)

I read CR for its idle threats! ;) :)

Jack

Upvote 0
j-nord said:
tendeadpixels said:
Well hi there. This is my first post here as I am new user. I was until a few days ago a Nikon owner but I have sold all the equipment in order to do the switch to Canon 8) I was pretty sure that the camera I needed was 5DMK3 with a 24-105 L f/4 lens and a 600EX-RT flash. My budget is kind of limited to around 3000 EUROS. Is this a good choice? I don't really think I can wait until September to buy the new model! Any opinions? I have no idea or whatsoever on Canon products. Sorry... ??? Any guidance will be helpful!

Regards,

Athos.

I'm curious what made you switch if you don't know anything about canon products?

Also, you could save some money and buy a lightly used 5DIII and 24-105L. By the way, the Sigma 24-105 f4 Art lens is a good amount sharper (but with a bit more chromatic aberration) than the canon one, worth considering.

Well it's not that I don't know anything about Canon products...I've just never used Canon for work or projects, I was always Nikon...for some reason. :) Well I also teach Photography workshops and that makes me study and research a lot the various advancements of each company. I do believe that Canon is producing superior products.
Another thing that made me switch to Canon, is more or less based on the two companies' cameras timeline. Since 2012 Nikon released D800, D800E, D750, D600, D810, and D810A!!!! to compete with 5DMK3 and 6D!!! They (Nikon) released 6!!! models (with all their problems and issues they had/have) in order to compete with 2 models that are still top of the line!
These are my thoughts around the decision I took to switch. I hope I've explained everything okay. Sorry if my writing is not so good (English is not my first language). ;)

Upvote 0
tendeadpixels said:
j-nord said:
tendeadpixels said:
Well hi there. This is my first post here as I am new user. I was until a few days ago a Nikon owner but I have sold all the equipment in order to do the switch to Canon 8) I was pretty sure that the camera I needed was 5DMK3 with a 24-105 L f/4 lens and a 600EX-RT flash. My budget is kind of limited to around 3000 EUROS. Is this a good choice? I don't really think I can wait until September to buy the new model! Any opinions? I have no idea or whatsoever on Canon products. Sorry... ??? Any guidance will be helpful!

Regards,

Athos.

I'm curious what made you switch if you don't know anything about canon products?

Also, you could save some money and buy a lightly used 5DIII and 24-105L. By the way, the Sigma 24-105 f4 Art lens is a good amount sharper (but with a bit more chromatic aberration) than the canon one, worth considering.

Well it's not that I don't know anything about Canon products...I've just never used Canon for work or projects, I was always Nikon...for some reason. :) Well I also teach Photography workshops and that makes me study and research a lot the various advancements of each company. I do believe that Canon is producing superior products.
Another thing that made me switch to Canon, is more or less based on the two companies' cameras timeline. Since 2012 Nikon released D800, D800E, D750, D600, D810, and D810A!!!! to compete with 5DMK3 and 6D!!! They (Nikon) released 6!!! models (with all their problems and issues they had/have) in order to compete with 2 models that are still top of the line!
These are my thoughts around the decision I took to switch. I hope I've explained everything okay. Sorry if my writing is not so good (English is not my first language). ;)

Looks like we're in the same boat. I have been a Nikon shooter and started feeling left out by the Canon uses in my group.. Stupid reason to make system switch and I sold out out my Nikon gear, which was pretty old though (D80 and few lenses). To wait for 5D4 till October to get hands on it will be frustrating sitting home and doing nothing without camera. So I'm considering to buy either 5D3 or 6D. But will most likely buy 5D3.....

Upvote 0
Maiaibing said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
When you can't get service after 4 years for a $3500 camera, its going to shock a lot of people.

Have no clue if this is the case for SONY service. But since Canon can get away stopping service for a $5.000 lens (original 200mm f/1,8) after 3 years maybe SONY just picked up on somebody else's bad idea.

Guessing here, but that would be due to the same reason they discontinued it in the first place. Some of the parts no longer were allowable by environmental standards. (Lead and stuff). It must have been too complicated to be worth overhauling the design and changing parts, so they stopped making the parts. No more parts meant no new lenses, and, after the supplies ran out, no more service.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
IglooEater said:
Maiaibing said:
When you can't get service after 4 years for a $3500 camera, its going to shock a lot of people.

Have no clue if this is the case for SONY service. But since Canon can get away stopping service for a $5.000 lens (original 200mm f/1,8) after 3 years maybe SONY just picked up on somebody else's bad idea.

Guessing here, but that would be due to the same reason they discontinued it in the first place. Some of the parts no longer were allowable by environmental standards. (Lead and stuff). It must have been too complicated to be worth overhauling the design and changing parts, so they stopped making the parts. No more parts meant no new lenses, and, after the supplies ran out, no more service.

By comparison, the 5D mirror fix was offered for 10 years as a free repair, and is apparently still available for a fee.

Upvote 0
There were rumours that the 5D MK IV (or whatever the upgrade from the MK III was going to be) would be available last September, then it became this spring, now it's next September? And what guarantee is there that it will happen then? That effectively means another year for me as I can never afford launch prices. The Nikon 810 is now at affordable prices so I'll have a look at that as I'm not prepared to wait any longer to upgrade my 5D MK II (the MK III came out soon after I bought the MK II so couldn't afford to upgrade to that. I could now, but I thought I may as well wait for a MK IV seeing as one was expected.) I think Canon may have shot themselves in the foot with this. Sales of the MK III must have dwindled when rumours of a MK IV started and now anyone looking for a camera in that price and spec. range are surely going to be looking at Nikon?

Upvote 0

d

Mar 8, 2015
Robin 58 said:
There were rumours that the 5D MK IV (or whatever the upgrade from the MK III was going to be) would be available last September, then it became this spring, now it's next September? And what guarantee is there that it will happen then? That effectively means another year for me as I can never afford launch prices. The Nikon 810 is now at affordable prices so I'll have a look at that as I'm not prepared to wait any longer to upgrade my 5D MK II (the MK III came out soon after I bought the MK II so couldn't afford to upgrade to that. I could now, but I thought I may as well wait for a MK IV seeing as one was expected.) I think Canon may have shot themselves in the foot with this. Sales of the MK III must have dwindled when rumours of a MK IV started and now anyone looking for a camera in that price and spec. range are surely going to be looking at Nikon?

HUH???

You're looking for "guaranteed" rumours? There's a reason why they're called rumours...

If you were originally expecting a release of a Mk IV last September, and if it *does* actually become available this September...doesn't that mean you've had an extra year to budget for it?

And if upgrading from a MK II -> D810 seems like the most logical thing (I assume there will also need to be some lenses bought and sold as well), good luck to you!

d.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
IglooEater said:
Maiaibing said:

By comparison, the 5D mirror fix was offered for 10 years as a free repair, and is apparently still available for a fee.

Yup. Sorry, I forgot to specify: my post was in reference to the 200mm 1.8, not the Sony. No idea what excuse Sony has. Just meant to point out that the 200 1.8 was somewhat exceptional.

Upvote 0
Robin 58 said:

If my memory serves me, the only person that was saying with any level of certainty that the 5D IV was coming last September was a rather vocal member of DPReview who has a history of being reliably wrong.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
IglooEater said:
If my memory serves me, the only person that was saying with any level of certainty that the 5D IV was coming last September was a rather vocal member of DPReview who has a history of being reliably wrong.

I'm not surprised the timing has lagged compared to the prior 5D updates. Canon has a boatload more FF product lines now than before:

• At the time of 5D2, the only other FF DSLRs they sold were... the 1Ds line, right? (You could throw the (not quite FF) 1D line up there, too, I suppose.)

• Now there's the 6D line, the 5DS rigs, the Cinema 1D rig, 1DX line, etc.

I remember when my only choice for a FF rig was a $3500 5D3 or the prior 5D2 in it's fourth year on the market. Now I have more choices. Choices are good. So this 'unacceptable delay' is not so unacceptable to me. :)

- A

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Maiaibing said:
IglooEater said:
No more parts meant no new lenses, and, after the supplies ran out, no more service.

Precisely, as soon as Canon stops production its only a question of time before the spare parts are gone. Typically 4-6 years after end of sales for Canon L-lenses.

not really. the 200 1.8 was a special case. applying it to all is a little indigenous.

the 200/1.8 had lead in some of the elements, that simply was not available anymore. period.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Robin 58 said:

since the Mark III is still one of the top selling full frame cameras on amazon. nope.

expecting the mark IV to magically come down 1K in a year is also a little out there.

you could buy a Mark III and probably sell it for nearly the same price as you purchased it at, making your "net cost" of the upgrade, next to nothing.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
rrcphoto said:
Robin 58 said:
Sales of the MK III must have dwindled when rumours of a MK IV started and now anyone looking for a camera in that price and spec. range are surely going to be looking at Nikon?

since the Mark III is still one of the top selling full frame cameras on amazon. nope.

expecting the mark IV to magically come down 1K in a year is also a little out there.

you could buy a Mark III and probably sell it for nearly the same price as you purchased it at, making your "net cost" of the upgrade, next to nothing.

I wish the larger imaging companies would just open their books so we'd have data. If for no other reason than to shut down the internet naysayers.

I think people's minds would be blown at just how many 5D3s are sold, even in year 3 or 4 post-release. The 5D2 was a ground-breaking rig, but the 5D3 was an out and out cash-cow for Canon even if it was just an incremental step forward. The AF improvement alone was worth releasing that system.

- A

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
Maiaibing said:
Precisely, as soon as Canon stops production its only a question of time before the spare parts are gone. Typically 4-6 years after end of sales for Canon L-lenses.

not really. the 200 1.8 was a special case. applying it to all is a little indigenous.

the 200/1.8 had lead in some of the elements, that simply was not available anymore. period.

Indigenous? Did not use the standard of the 200 f/1.8. 4-6 years is the time frame Canons traditionally has serviced its L-series lenses after end of sales.

Upvote 0