More on the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV in 2016 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’re getting new information about the EOS 5D Mark IV quite slowly, but a lot of it I believe to be reliable.</p>
<p>The latest is about how the camera is going to launch. We’ve confirmed that the EOS 5D Mark IV will be announced in late August/early September in time for Photokina, which begins on September 20, 2016 and runs through to September 25, 2016. The ship date for the camera should quickly follow if everything goes to plan. This sort of launch would mimic the way the EOS 5D Mark III was launched and released. We think there’s a good chance you’re going to have the EOS 5D Mark IV in your hands some time in October, 2016, if not sooner.</p>
<p>If you’re interested in the camera, start saving your pennies. We expect a launch price of about $3500 USD, which is identical to the EOS 5D Mark III at launch.</p>
<p>The only reliable specifications we’ve been told is that camera will shoot 4K, have built-in wifi and GPS and have some touchscreen functionality. A less reliable source has told us the camera will shoot to CFast, just like the EOS-1D X Mark II. We’re sure the camera will have dual slots, but we don’t know how the media will be configured.</p>
<p>We expect a lot of chatter around NAB this month in Las Vegas.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

This is absurd timing since the difference between 5D mark ii and 5D mark iii release was roughly 3 years. Why would it now be a 4 year release? I was banking on this coming out early May and would have paid a premium price for it if it has 4k at 60fps and higher dynamic range than it's competitors. Now, I feel stuck before wedding season with the need to make a decision around NAB.

I think a lot of people are in the same boat as me and want and expect the 5D mark iv to be out shortly after NAB. Anything later is just dissapointing.

Upvote 0

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com
well i figured it would be like the 7D2 announcement and launch
eg: 7d2 was announced in june/july 2014 and wasnt in stores or warehouses till sept/oct Halloween 2014
so if the 5d4 is announced as they say aug/sept some if not most of us in the usa
will not have it till oct/nov
at events like the photoplus expo nyc late oct nearly nov 2016
sounds about right CANON TAKING FOREVER as usual but hey take ya time and make this another awesome camera like the 5d3
hoping for the 7-8fps dual digic 6+ or at least digic 7
23-28mp like what rumored
4k video i dont care much for
DPAF/STM TECH
more AF points would be better too
LESS NOISE AT HIGH ISO's even better low noise ISO would be great

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
This fall will be exciting. I do feel sorry for all the wedding photogs, but I think it takes a special kind of person to shoot weddings anyway. I'm no pro by any means, but weddings have to be one of the most high pressure situations there are. Not for me. Not ever.

This camera is going to be another 5D great. :)

I think 10 fps.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2013
Cool that they'll finally release 4K in a DSLR less than $4K.
That said, I don't know if it will have the impact on the video world it once would have. There are so many cameras in this space now. It's going to need to bring 13 stops of usable dynamic range, C-Log and DPAF to be a hit in the video sector. I'd love to see an XLR attachment for it like Sony offers.

Upvote 0

j-nord

Derp
Feb 16, 2016
Colorado
jkillsomtam said:
This is absurd timing since the difference between 5D mark ii and 5D mark iii release was roughly 3 years. Why would it now be a 4 year release? I was banking on this coming out early May and would have paid a premium price for it if it has 4k at 60fps and higher dynamic range than it's competitors. Now, I feel stuck before wedding season with the need to make a decision around NAB.

I think a lot of people are in the same boat as me and want and expect the 5D mark iv to be out shortly after NAB. Anything later is just dissapointing.

Canon did produce an intermediate/non-standard upgrade with the 5DS/R. It seems it was supposed to be a hold over for this longer full update release. Hopefully the wait is worth it for the pros who need 4k video capabilties.

Upvote 0

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com
CanonFanBoy said:
This fall will be exciting. I do feel sorry for all the wedding photogs, but I think it takes a special kind of person to shoot weddings anyway. I'm no pro by any means, but weddings have to be one of the most high pressure situations there are. Not for me. Not ever.

I think 10 fps.

cant be 10fps cause your hurt 7d2 sales smh THINKKKK

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
BigAntTVProductions said:
CanonFanBoy said:

I think 10 fps.

Because people abandoning a $1500 camera for a $3500 camera strictly for fps reasons...

(a) ...would never happen.
(b) ...would not 'hurt' Canon whatsoever. They'd make a mint on the body upcharge plus all the pricier longer lenses you'd need to buy to get the crop reach back.
(c) ...implies there aren't other ways to get 10+ fps with other manufacturers.
(d) All of the above.

On the topic of fps, I think the 5D4 will get about 8 fps, which will help distinguish it from the 5DS/5DSR rigs and also represent a nice +2 fps bump to the 5D3 camp.

Could they handle more data than 8 fps? Of course. I'm not sure Canon wants to undercut 1DX II sales with a 10 fps FF rig for $3500, however. (That argument actually works. :p)

- A

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2015
I want a second body in addition to my 70D to have two lenses available without swaps and to get me into CPS.
I originally planned to go FF and get the 5D4 +a 24-70 and 16-35. But with all the 5D4 delays I think I will postpone that indefinitely and just get an 80D instead. Saves me lots of money and saves Canon from my money, a win-win situation :-\

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
j-nord said:
ahsanford said:
Re: "Reliable specifications":

4K = I think they have to have it, but still may bury it at launch to protect 1D / Cinema sales. If it tanks, they unlock it with formware.

Onboard WiFi on a closed-top / non-pop-up body? Is that a first?

- A
6D?

Totally forgot. Does that mean the cap will forego magnesium for polycarbonate like that one did? Have there been any discernible drawbacks to that with the 6D camp? Any drops or cracks?

- A

Upvote 0
jkillsomtam said:

+1 on the above - very disappointed. Been ready to buy the next model for a year plus now. I have a 6D which is a great camera but would love to have stronger focusing power with better iso. My backup is a T4i which is just such worse image quality its hard for me to use except in an emergency. I work more with second shooters now who sometimes don't have decent equipment and it would have been really nice to give them the 6D when I had the new unit.

Upvote 0
Looks like Canon is trying to push WedTogs into the 1d series with the holdover till fall. It's, the new 1dxmkII, not that bad a value compared to first version given what more you get (anti flicker, 60fps 4K, Frame rate increase, ISO increase). The biggest 1D draw back for me is the SIZE, not so much the price. Money can be earned back, weight and bulk never go away! I don't shoot weddings, but I do want a new body and it's not easy to wait! I just can't get a 5D mkIII, when I know there will be features on the IV that will reward my patience!

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
ahsanford said:
BigAntTVProductions said:
CanonFanBoy said:

I think 10 fps.

Because people abandoning a $1500 camera for a $3500 camera strictly for fps reasons...

(a) ...would never happen.
(b) ...would not 'hurt' Canon whatsoever. They'd make a mint on the body upcharge plus all the pricier longer lenses you'd need to buy to get the crop reach back.
(c) ...implies there aren't other ways to get 10+ fps with other manufacturers.
(d) All of the above.

On the topic of fps, I think the 5D4 will get about 8 fps, which will help distinguish it from the 5DS/5DSR rigs and also represent a nice +2 fps bump to the 5D3 camp.

Could they handle more data than 8 fps? Of course. I'm not sure Canon wants to undercut 1DX II sales with a 10 fps FF rig for $3500, however. (That argument actually works. :p)

- A

Hey...that's what Magic Lantern is for, eh?

;)

Cayenne

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
CanoKnight said:
October ? ? ? ? Wow. So Canon wants to absolutely make sure there is no overlap between 1dx2 and 5d-whatever-the-hell. In the process Canon enthusiasts who have been wanting to shoot over the summer get screwed over. Fark Canon. I have a Hawaii trip planned for the summer and I am going to look for an alternative 4k camera.

The optimistic way of looking at it is that Canon decided (per one of the CR1 rumors floating around) a year ago to change course on the body and that required significant-enough engineering changes to cause a delay. Changes important enough to offset the lost sales.

At $3500 w/ a four year release cycle I am hoping for (probably unrealistically) amazing things out of this camera. Four years from the mk 4's launch we'll likely see some very capable pro mirrorless options, and potentially a very different landscape. I'm expecting the next 5D to basically be the pinnacle of DSLR design.

Upvote 0
Given the exchange rate differences between when the 5D Mark III launched and now, bringing the Mark IV to market at the same US dollar price point would represent a HUGE price increase. I wonder if the rumor origin was from Japan and what they mean is that the Japanese Yen price will remain the same, which would mean the price in the US would be lower than the launch price of the Mark III.
A launch price of $3500 would put it out of my hobby-budget.

Upvote 0