More on the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV in 2016 [CR2]

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
jebrady03 said:
Given the exchange rate differences between when the 5D Mark III launched and now, bringing the Mark IV to market at the same US dollar price point would represent a HUGE price increase. I wonder if the rumor origin was from Japan and what they mean is that the Japanese Yen price will remain the same, which would mean the price in the US would be lower than the launch price of the Mark III.
A launch price of $3500 would put it out of my hobby-budget.

Thanks for saying what I was thinking. Should launch at around $3100.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
brad-man said:
jebrady03 said:
Given the exchange rate differences between when the 5D Mark III launched and now, bringing the Mark IV to market at the same US dollar price point would represent a HUGE price increase. I wonder if the rumor origin was from Japan and what they mean is that the Japanese Yen price will remain the same, which would mean the price in the US would be lower than the launch price of the Mark III.
A launch price of $3500 would put it out of my hobby-budget.

Thanks for saying what I was thinking. Should launch at around $3100.

I see the math a little differently as an enthusiast. Everyone's budget is different, of course, but here's my perspective.

When I wanted to move to FF in 2012, it was either the 5D3 or a 5D2. I went big and got the 5D3 for... $3499, I believe? I love that camera, and as much as I slam up against the limits of it often, those limits are generally dictated by combinations of physics and limitations of lighting that I impose upon myself. I'm often shooting handheld at really high ISO, and I often shoot wide DR landscapes where NDs grad aren't appropriate and compositing multiple frames is either not possible due to wind or is more trouble than it's worth.

And that's why even if the 5D4's value proposition is (compared to my 5D3) is...

• WiFi (rumored)
  • 4K video (rumored)
  • Anti-flicker (a certainty)
  • +1 stop higher ISO for the same level of noise (I'm just speculating here)
  • +1 stop more DR at base ISO (speculating)
  • +2 fps (speculating)
  • 1DX II AF setup (speculating)
  • Proper colored AF points in AI servo (surely they'll fix this)
  • Interchangeable focus screens (speculating)

...I'm not convinced I'm going to buy it -- only the blue items above affect what I personally shoot. So I would see that spec sheet as a lovely incremental improvement, but I'd rather save my $3k+ (whatever the price turns out to be) for lenses this cycle and wait even longer for a 5D5. I'm not a pro who might lose business from missed shots in the dark, a flickering light, etc.

The 5D4 will sell very, very well -- I'm not knocking that list above one bit. I just don't personally value that list strongly enough over my wonderful 5D3 to part with nontrivial dollars for it.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Eersel said:
They could just take the GPS out... which no real photographer uses anyways, and save everyone $400 on the unit.

Seriously GPS is such a meaningless feature.

All we need is + AF and + DR

If this camera doesn't have it, there will be a mass shift to Nikon.

What specifically about the 5D3's AF is so leave-Canon-worthy? That's a similar setup to the 1DX!

I recognize there are some nitpicky AF issues (black servo points, no -3 EV center point, limited f/8 T/C use, etc.) but it's still a solid B+ in 2016 terms, IMHO. But if you're arguing that an SLR needs hundreds of AF points like mirrorless offers, I welcome the head-to-head hit-rate-on-moving-objects test between systems that might substantiate that.

As for a mass exodus to Nikon, the CR server hit it's insanity filter limit about 100 "mass exodus to Nikon" references ago. You'll have to join the chorus at DPReview, sorry. But you'll be glad to know you'll have plenty of company to foam at the mouth with on that front. :D

- A

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
CanoKnight said:
October ? ? ? ? Wow. So Canon wants to absolutely make sure there is no overlap between 1dx2 and 5d-whatever-the-hell. In the process Canon enthusiasts who have been wanting to shoot over the summer get screwed over. Fark Canon. I have a Hawaii trip planned for the summer and I am going to look for an alternative 4k camera.

Really, people? It doesn't occur to you that maybe, just maybe, it's simply about getting the camera finished? Do you really think there's a 5D4 design ready for manufacture waiting on a server somewhere at Canon and some moustache-twirling executives are just sitting on it?

Damn the sense of entitlement of some people here...

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Eersel said:
They could just take the GPS out... which no real photographer uses anyways, and save everyone $400 on the unit.

Yes, because everyone who has different needs from you obviously is not a real photographer ::)

Not even going to comment about the $400 part.

Upvote 0

j-nord

Derp
Feb 16, 2016
Colorado
Eersel said:

Just because you don't personally don't have a need/want for GPS doesn't mean others don't need/want it. It also doesnt mean canon isn't going to put those features in to keep the price up. If you really want to complain about an industry packing garbage into a product to keep prices up, look at the car industry...

I too would like to know your complain with the AF is? To me thats one of the last areas that need improvement on the mkiii, less the virtually guaranteed improvements with f8 and low light focusing.

The areas that definitely need improvement are DR, ISO, mpix, fps, and video features (although I don't care about video)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Sharlin said:
Really, people? It doesn't occur to you that maybe, just maybe, it's simply about getting the camera finished? Do you really think there's a 5D4 design ready for manufacture waiting on a server somewhere at Canon and some moustache-twirling executives are just sitting on it?

I blame Sony. They keep spitting out cameras like madmen. I welcome them as disruptive innovators, but their business model is so different from the established players. It's silly to expect Canon and Nikon to act this way.

Take your time, Canon. Make something demonstrably better and do it right.

- A

Upvote 0
Sharlin said:
CanoKnight said:
October ? ? ? ? Wow. So Canon wants to absolutely make sure there is no overlap between 1dx2 and 5d-whatever-the-hell. In the process Canon enthusiasts who have been wanting to shoot over the summer get screwed over. Fark Canon. I have a Hawaii trip planned for the summer and I am going to look for an alternative 4k camera.

The technology that goes into the 5d4 was already hard baked as of no later than late last year. There will be nothing in the 5d4 that isn't already in the 1dx2 and/or 80d. It's just a matter of packaging. Canon obsessively protect their higher end (read fattest margin) products, so unlike 2012, this cycle they wont release the newest 5d body until the newest 1dx sales have tapered off. It's all about money, pure and simple.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Eersel said:

As Landscape & travel are my biggest uses of my cameras I can assure you the GPS in the 6D gets used a lot, a hell of a lot. So to does wi-fi as it does in the G7 X I own neither I consider "gimmicks" but useful tools.
The AF points in the 5D MKIII / 5DS are more than enough for 99% of situations yes better AF at f8 especially with extenders would be really useful and extended DR with less noise at high ISOs.

I certainly would not be shifting to Nikon with so much money invested in Canon glass.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
CanoKnight said:
The technology that goes into the 5d4 was already hard baked as of no later than late last year. There will be nothing in the 5d4 that isn't already in the 1dx2 and/or 80d.

Regarding the red bit above, that's likely to be generally true, but recall the 5D3 was announced a good 4-5 months after the 1DX, but it had a few things the 1DX did not:

• Headphone jack (a huge feature for videographers, I'm told)
  • HDR mode
  • Silent shooting mode (simply a huge feature and a Canon SLR first, no?)
  • Exciting black Servo AF points
  • "Spot metering that only trusts the best AF point" :mad: [fist shake]

So I'm not convinced we won't see anything new in the 5D4. It may have an ace or two up its sleeve.

- A

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
CanoKnight said:
Sharlin said:
CanoKnight said:

The technology that goes into the 5d4 was already hard baked as of no later than late last year. There will be nothing in the 5d4 that isn't already in the 1dx2 and/or 80d. It's just a matter of packaging. Canon obsessively protect their higher end (read fattest margin) products, so unlike 2012, this cycle they wont release the newest 5d body until the newest 1dx sales have tapered off. It's all about money, pure and simple.

how do you know? have you seen it?

canon launched the 1DX and 5D Mark III around the same time.. clearly they don't think the same.

also the 1DXII has bastardized 4K - for canon to do it better on the 5D *WILL* require different hardware.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
BigAntTVProductions said:
CanonFanBoy said:
This fall will be exciting. I do feel sorry for all the wedding photogs, but I think it takes a special kind of person to shoot weddings anyway. I'm no pro by any means, but weddings have to be one of the most high pressure situations there are. Not for me. Not ever.

This camera is going to be another 5D great. :)

I think 10 fps.

cant be 10fps cause your hurt 7d2 sales smh THINKKKK

You are hilarious. :) You may be right though. I think the 70D hurt 5D Mark III sales in the same way. ::) Silly Billy!

But, there might just be tens of thousands of folks with 7D Mark II cameras in mind to buy @ $1,499 who will make the leap to a 5DX for $3,500 for the same desired frame rate and no crop factor. :D

I would dance and be merry, life would be a ding-a-derry... if I only had a brain. :)

I just wish I could be as wise as you. Shame on me for thinking the 7D Mark II and the 5DX are in different market segments.

Sorry man. Please forgive me. Please? ???

Have a nice day! :) :) :) :)

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2014
ahsanford said:
CanoKnight said:
The technology that goes into the 5d4 was already hard baked as of no later than late last year. There will be nothing in the 5d4 that isn't already in the 1dx2 and/or 80d.

Regarding the red bit above, that's likely to be generally true, but recall the 5D3 was announced a good 4-5 months after the 1DX, but it had a few things the 1DX did not:

• Headphone jack (a huge feature for videographers, I'm told)
  • HDR mode
  • Silent shooting mode (simply a huge feature and a Canon SLR first, no?)
  • Exciting black Servo AF points
  • "Spot metering that only trusts the best AF point" :mad: [fist shake]

So I'm not convinced we won't see anything new in the 5D4. It may have an ace or two up its sleeve.

- A

...with horrible internal pre-amps, as usual! According to Canon (and Nikon for that matter - since they do not specialize in video), you can't make a Canon camera a cinema gem unless it's a C-series. ;D Traditional internal 8-bit compressed 4K video is to be expected with "clean", but not sharp, 4:2:2 8-bit output to an Atomos recorder. Yawn!

Magic Lantern may do something to unlock more features by 2018.

C-log? Wide Dynamic Range gamma profile? Most likely not. Just look at the 1Dx MII. Plus, we cannot take away sales from the crummy XC10 now, can we?
I really hate those compressed DSLR blacks, non-sharp edges, and CMOS rolling shutter. Oh well.
It's a DSLR...what do you expect? I expect professional photographic features like usual.
For video, with all the bells and whistles, we have the C100, C300, etc.

Say hello to a realistic 2017 acquisition like with the majority of people.
The 5D MIII is already amazing and justifies the cost for professional photo-shoots. 5D Mark IV will most likely be a better improvement for event and multi-category photography in many more scenarios.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
ahsanford said:
Eersel said:

What specifically about the 5D3's AF is so leave-Canon-worthy? That's a similar setup to the 1DX!

I recognize there are some nitpicky AF issues (black servo points, no -3 EV center point, limited f/8 T/C use, etc.) but it's still a solid B+ in 2016 terms, IMHO. But if you're arguing that an SLR needs hundreds of AF points like mirrorless offers, I welcome the head-to-head hit-rate-on-moving-objects test between systems that might substantiate that.

As for a mass exodus to Nikon, the CR server hit it's insanity filter limit about 100 "mass exodus to Nikon" references ago. You'll have to join the chorus at DPReview, sorry. But you'll be glad to know you'll have plenty of company to foam at the mouth with on that front. :D

- A

I'd suggest that the comment made was just sarcasm directed at the complainers - surely not serious!

Jack

Upvote 0