More Specifications & Images of EOS 5D Mark IV

Maiaibing said:
Rejay14 said:
vishaltpt said:
I was waiting to upgrade from the 5D2. As a stills photographer & occasional video (70:30 ratio) ...the 5D3 did not offer much so was waiting for the 5D4...and now....this is not significant motivation enough for me to push the $$'s canon's way....

If you see no advances from 5D2-> 5D3 -> 5D4 then perhaps upgrading bodies is not your thing..I get it. But as a working professional, I saw a HUGE leap from 2->3 and a marginal leap (in pre-release mumblings) to the MkIV, which makes me hesitate. But not for 3 full upgrades.
Probably depends much on what's important to you.

To me picture IQ counts the most and here the difference between 5D2 and 5D3 was almost zero.

I think the leap this time around may be much bigger than anything the 5D3 offers.

However, generally its probably always wise to consider "jumping" camera generations to get better glass. You can get some very serious lenses for 3.500$.

Absolutely, I will (likely) upgrade from my 5D2s for the same reasons, IQ is what counts to me, 99% of my pictures are made between 100 and 400 ISO, and the 5D3 was no IQ upgrade for me : same amount of pixels, same shadow noise, almost the same banding, and marginally less DR at 100 ISO.

AF or frame rate is no matter to me, and the better construction of the 5D3, doesn't change the fact that my 5D2s never needed service in almost 7 years. I was tempted by the 5DSR, but the outdated sensor technology (same as the 5D2 except for the pixel count) made me wait for the 5D4. I will wait until the sensor is thoroughly reviewed, but I have good hope that it is finally a big improvement. Likely not Sony sensor level, but it's my working gear, and the main points are ergonomics, reliability and the whole range of TS-E lenses that have no replacement elsewhere.

I only wish Canon would finally replace some prehistoric lenses, that are becoming embarrassing :

- all the 50mm (except the 1.8, for the price it's OK)
- all the "gold rings" 20mm f2.8, 28mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 100mm f2
- and finally the 25 years old 45 and 90mm TS-E (though the 90mm is still very good, there is a little margin for improvement).

Upvote 0

E

Aug 13, 2016
Mikehit said:
naylor83 said:
ut I think we can trust Canon to underdeliver on its potential.

Having waited eagerly for the 7D2 to come out and the discussions around its delay, my reading is quite different in that Canon will only release a function when they know it works. There is a difference between what is technically possible and what is reliable.
I think this is also why their teleconverters actively block AF once the aperture reaches f8/f11 (depending on the model) and why they do not make ridiculous claims like Nikon about ISO 3,000,000.

But Canon has left out things that 1 D C could do on the 1 D X II. (Canon Log format, for instance.)

So they most definitely are holding back, when they shouldn't. I was really hoping to feel comfortable with buying the camera I wanted, both for stills (looks good) and video (not good) this year. I like the look of materials shot with Canon.

I was waiting for a Mark IV with slow motion in 1080p, but it seems as if they're not going to give us that.

Upvote 0

Gadger

CR Pro
Jul 26, 2015
jonneymendoza said:
Eldar said:
jonneymendoza said:
Eldar said:
jonneymendoza said:
If the mythical A9 does what its rumoured to do(unlimited buffer raw shots, 70mp version, same build/size as a 5d3) im afraid this 5d4 could be dead by the end of the year.

Already as you say you can grab the holy grail of zooms in 2.8 fashion thats as good as the canon's plus zeiss primes! the lenses are coming rapidly mate on the sony front!
I am willing to bet that the 5DIV will outperform any comparable Sony camera by a significant margin in volumes, value and lifespan. I wonder what features you refer to that "kill" Canon?

A 70MP Sony camera would have very limited value for the majority of users, because getting any return on that massive resolutin is rather difficult and you would have to spend a fortune on lenses, of which there aren't that many (unless you go for adapters). And limitless buffer depth for raws, at 70MP ..., good luck with your post processing and storage procurements.

Yes, Sony are releasing new lenses and they also have some very attractive lenses from Zeiss. All at a very higt cost and the reviews of the Sony lenses are not exactly raving. And; they don't reach Canon's offering to their knees and their service sucks. Three key lenses: 16-35/4: Sony: $1348, Canon: $999. 24-70/2.8: Sony: $2198, Canon: $1799. 70-200/2.8: Sony: $2598, Canon: $1999. Canon provides higher quality and a $1347 saving.

There are lots of unknowns about the 5DIV, even though we have a few spec items clarified, so to pass bastant judgement at this stage looks a bit foolish. DR, noise and high ISO performance, low light AF, buffer depth ... etc. To me, this looks to be a very capable camera for the user community it is addressing and I am really looking forward to read the first deep dives.

value?

Well when both the 5ds and a7r2 came out, the a7r2 had more features and better value in my book.

right now, the canon cameras are more robust and have better AF. no ifs or buts about that.

Do you mean sales volume? who cares, this is not iphone. Canon outsells Nikon in every shape or form. does that mean Nikon suck in every department?

Matter of fact, D810/D750 looks slightly more attractive then this 5d4!!

What would be your excuse when Nikon announces a D900 that quite possibly will blow away the 5d4?

Its not just the sony that canon need to look out for. what about nikon?
Sales volume and monetary value.

Yes, Nikon is most likely more of a threat than Sony. A Nikon D900, which is something I am sure the Nikon camp is dreaming of, may well be a great camera. Just like the D810 is a great camera, with a much better sensor than the 5DIII, but with some faults. Canon could make the 5DIV better than it will be, but they save for the next version and to separate their various models. If the D900 is good enough, they will be forced to release stuff a little earlier, which benefits us.

If you limit your lenses to just a few, it is of less cosequence to jump camp. However, for the majority of serious shooters, the investments in glass keeps you with your brand. Unless it becomes too painful.

i got lots of canon glasses but keeping my wallet closed to jump ship to sony.

I wish you would, it would make this thread easier to read :)

Upvote 0
Gadger said:
jonneymendoza said:
Eldar said:
jonneymendoza said:
Eldar said:
jonneymendoza said:
If the mythical A9 does what its rumoured to do(unlimited buffer raw shots, 70mp version, same build/size as a 5d3) im afraid this 5d4 could be dead by the end of the year.

Already as you say you can grab the holy grail of zooms in 2.8 fashion thats as good as the canon's plus zeiss primes! the lenses are coming rapidly mate on the sony front!
I am willing to bet that the 5DIV will outperform any comparable Sony camera by a significant margin in volumes, value and lifespan. I wonder what features you refer to that "kill" Canon?

A 70MP Sony camera would have very limited value for the majority of users, because getting any return on that massive resolutin is rather difficult and you would have to spend a fortune on lenses, of which there aren't that many (unless you go for adapters). And limitless buffer depth for raws, at 70MP ..., good luck with your post processing and storage procurements.

Yes, Sony are releasing new lenses and they also have some very attractive lenses from Zeiss. All at a very higt cost and the reviews of the Sony lenses are not exactly raving. And; they don't reach Canon's offering to their knees and their service sucks. Three key lenses: 16-35/4: Sony: $1348, Canon: $999. 24-70/2.8: Sony: $2198, Canon: $1799. 70-200/2.8: Sony: $2598, Canon: $1999. Canon provides higher quality and a $1347 saving.

There are lots of unknowns about the 5DIV, even though we have a few spec items clarified, so to pass bastant judgement at this stage looks a bit foolish. DR, noise and high ISO performance, low light AF, buffer depth ... etc. To me, this looks to be a very capable camera for the user community it is addressing and I am really looking forward to read the first deep dives.

value?

Well when both the 5ds and a7r2 came out, the a7r2 had more features and better value in my book.

right now, the canon cameras are more robust and have better AF. no ifs or buts about that.

Do you mean sales volume? who cares, this is not iphone. Canon outsells Nikon in every shape or form. does that mean Nikon suck in every department?

What would be your excuse when Nikon announces a D900 that quite possibly will blow away the 5d4?

Yes, Nikon is most likely more of a threat than Sony. A Nikon D900, which is something I am sure the Nikon camp is dreaming of, may well be a great camera. Just like the D810 is a great camera, with a much better sensor than the 5DIII, but with some faults. Canon could make the 5DIV better than it will be, but they save for the next version and to separate their various models. If the D900 is good enough, they will be forced to release stuff a little earlier, which benefits us.

If you limit your lenses to just a few, it is of less cosequence to jump camp. However, for the majority of serious shooters, the investments in glass keeps you with your brand. Unless it becomes too painful.

I wish you would, it would make this thread easier to read :)

How are you finidng the 1dx?

Upvote 0
x-vision said:
shunsai said:
That expression Google translated as "ever possible to no post-processing of the adjustment dual pixel RAW file" is "これまでに無い後処理の調整が可能なデュアルピクセルRAWファイル" which might be better translated as "Editable Dual Pixel RAW files (a feature which was previously unavailable up to now)"

Still not completely clear on what this means, but I wonder if this is the new feature they're talking about. It claims it's a never before done feature.

I think this just refers to in-camera RAW editing.
With Canon since 5DIII...

Upvote 0
LSXPhotog said:
  • Autofocus in Low Light - having just experienced horrible AF issues on two dark shoots this month, I'm really itching for a camera that can autofocus like my 6D and 7D2 can in low light...if not improve upon it. Nothing more frustrating than knowing your next camera is getting announced this month and you're experiencing a problem you hate with your current one!!
Already 5DS/R does this. 5DIV will follow I'm sure.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
AdamBotond said:
Probably its just me, but that 5D mark IV label on top looks just awfully cheap. :D
No, not just you. It did raise my eyebrow, but it's a very minor point. Unsubtle, not the prettiest bit of branding, it's a bit "look at me!" Could work best in the US market, the global home of vulgar oversized branding. Look at US cars!

If it continues to offend, there's always the neatly cut black tape solution.

-pw

Upvote 0

Gadger

CR Pro
Jul 26, 2015
jonneymendoza said:
Gadger said:
jonneymendoza said:
Eldar said:
jonneymendoza said:

value?

How are you finidng the 1dx?

Great thanks, paired up with the Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x and pleased with the results. Took it to RAF Fairford air show in July. Photos in the Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM lens sample photo section. Going add 5D4, as sold my 5D3 last year and missed it. And will then sell the 7DMKII. But I will wait for the 5D4 reviews first.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Maui5150 said:
neuroanatomist said:
What hate you for an opinion...

One thing is for sure... You ain't got bad grammar

Thanks for catching that. It's good that you've never made a typo that's been incorrectly interpreted by an autocorrect feature, you must be quite proud of yourself.

Upvote 0
Sharlin said:
Rejay14 said:
vishaltpt said:
I was waiting to upgrade from the 5D2. As a stills photographer & occasional video (70:30 ratio) ...the 5D3 did not offer much so was waiting for the 5D4...and now....this is not significant motivation enough for me to push the $$'s canon's way....

If you see no advances from 5D2-> 5D3 -> 5D4 then perhaps upgrading bodies is not your thing..I get it. But as a working professional, I saw a HUGE leap from 2->3 and a marginal leap (in pre-release mumblings) to the MkIV, which makes me hesitate. But not for 3 full upgrades.

The 5D line was basically split in 2012. The 5D3 was a clear move upwards in terms of capabilities and that was also reflected in the price. It is telling that Canon continued to sell the 5D2 in parallel with its "successor" until autumn 2012... when the 6D was released. The 5D4, on the other hand, is a "natural" successor to the 5D3.

Actually, it's been split three times. 5DII > 5DIII & 6D + 5DS/R. The 5DS/R are not a 5DIII or IV, but a seperate linage. When they get replaced, they will be a 5DS/R II.

I'm looking forwards to a 5D4 in my bag. One of my 5DIII's is looking pretty tired and it's up for it's three year replacement soon.

Upvote 0