More Specifications & Images of EOS 5D Mark IV

Feb 28, 2013
RickSpringfield said:
With all of the discussion around the 5D Mark IV, I keep thinking ... 'What are the comparable cameras from other manufacturers?'. Because we can't really just compare the 5D Mark III against the 5D Mark IV and declare a victory right? We know the IV will be better ... of course ... because its a IV not a III. But once you look at the offerings from the other major brands its not as easy. Pre-5DS I think this would have been an easy question to answer ... but now trying to make a baseline comparison seems a bit harder. And who really is the intended audience for this camera?

Trying to understand what is it the 5D IV is intended to do best other than natively accept Canon glass. Is it Video, Events, Weddings? And if so ... what feature or features make this a more compelling option than say a 5DS, or Sony blah, or Nikon blah. Its seems like a 5DS and that new WiFi Adapter could get you most of the way there. Which in my mind makes the 5DS/R Mark II the Canon camera to watch.
The 5DS/r are different cameras they are not really suitable for action and fast paced photography. They excel for landscape and studio / interior portraits and having used my 5DS on safari in South Africa this year, great for wildlife that's not moving fast or close to sunrise / sunset (I did get a few leopard shots when it was almost dark but they were very noisy).
I'm hoping the 5D MKIV will have better DR particularly low light its clear already that it will have the same AF system (as indeed the MKIII had), metering system & mirror vibration system, anti-flicker etc. as well as wi-fi, GPS, NFC that the 5DS doesn't have.
Its moot what the competition does if your heavily invested in Canon glass because changing everything out would be a significant cost (I'm a non believer of adaptors), and newer lenses like the EF 16-35mm f4L IS USM, EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM II are class leading anyway.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
ahsanford said:
Auto ISO shutter speed is tune-able on just about all Canon SLRs, but only the 1-series lets you use Exposure comp and Auto-ISO in Manual mode simultaneously if I remember correctly. I am not a first-hand person asking for this in the 5D4 -- I never try to use all three of those simultaneously -- but apparently DLee13 (and some others on this forum) would want that in a 5D4.

(Someone please straighten me out if I've got that wrong. I only auto-ISO in aperture-priority in specific circumstances.)

Correct, it's a feature that was added to the 1D X via firmware and I use it frequently.
I like this feature very much. I do not have it on my 5D3 but my 7D2 has it :)

Upvote 0
RickSpringfield said:
With all of the discussion around the 5D Mark IV, I keep thinking ... 'What are the comparable cameras from other manufacturers?'. Because we can't really just compare the 5D Mark III against the 5D Mark IV and declare a victory right? We know the IV will be better ... of course ... because its a IV not a III. But once you look at the offerings from the other major brands its not as easy. Pre-5DS I think this would have been an easy question to answer ... but now trying to make a baseline comparison seems a bit harder. And who really is the intended audience for this camera?

Trying to understand what is it the 5D IV is intended to do best other than natively accept Canon glass. Is it Video, Events, Weddings? And if so ... what feature or features make this a more compelling option than say a 5DS, or Sony blah, or Nikon blah. Its seems like a 5DS and that new WiFi Adapter could get you most of the way there. Which in my mind makes the 5DS/R Mark II the Canon camera to watch.

Well, you do got a point and from what i read, it´s been dismissed the camera uses....It looks like everybody want a A7 SII, a 1Dx II, a 5dS R, and a Alexa in one single body! And of course, one body that costs only 3k! And worse than that, the comparisons that are made between cameras are just unrealistic! It´s nonsense to compare a 1Dx II with Sony bodys, it´s just nonsese! Like it´s nonsense that someone that just makes video and need a really high end camera for huge video assignments, to want to buy a 1Dx II or a 5D markIV just for video purposes and want everything in those cameras. C-log´s (wich i would also love, i confess, but i understand why it´s not there). 1Dx II is a workhorse! it´s a terrific camera for stills and deliver you huge possibilitys for video! Not perfect for video? Well, it´s not ment to be! It´s just like the 5D markIV!
According to the rumours, we are going to have a really beautiful camera there! Improved ISO noise (witch i don´t complain in 5DIII, but if it comes better, just great!!), among other great features can make a really good camera to work!
It´s just amazing the huge talk about what camera could bring or not to bring...and it´s understandable, we all need something else more! However, most of the talk disperses a lot. First of all, we do need to understand cameras and what they can deliver. If some cameras are good in somethings, others are good in other things.

I´ll give you an example:

If you are a professional wildlife and nature photographer and videographer, wich camera do you choose? A Sony A7RII and give a priviledge to video but just loose the still captures because af of Sony is pretty bad for wildlife? Or a 1Dx II that gives you the top of the market in stills, and also provides excelent video resolution? Well, the perfect thing should be to have the both! But even then....what lenses do you have for Sony to film wildlife? And if you have a 500mm from canon wich is really expensive, do you want to buy another tele from sony to the other camera? One tele to film, another to still? You put adaptors and loose AF? How can you film those crazy little birds that are so fast with a lens and camera that don´t get thems in focus?

So, what if you are a comercial videographer? Do you really need a 1Dx II to film? Or the Sony A7 SII is the way to go?
It´s just too personal choice!!!!

So guys, How can you tell that this Canon 5DmkIV is a bad camera, or that Canon is disappointing?? What are you asking? Everything? Its not realistic!

What i would love to see in 5DmkIV in improvements and don´t have (at least not konwn):

- 1080HD 120fps (althoug of course i understand why doesn´t have)
- bufffer improvement (one of the bad things of my 5DIII is buffer, just hope a good improvement in this one)
- retro-iluminated buttons - It´s just terrible to shoot in the dark and try to hit the right button.
- Improvement in autofocus - The AF in 5DIII isn´t bad, but it´s not also very good.
- improvement in DR (yes its quite discussed this point, and for me this is what canon should improve more. It´s not bad, but can be better.

Finally, if canon makes a camera that can put toghether every stuff from 1DxII, 5DmkIV, A7 RII, A7 SII, 5DS R, i will buy it!!! For sure!!!
Errgghh.....wait, wait, but only if it costs less than 3,5k! ;) ;)

Just to finalize....If you have a 5DIII, a 1dx, 1dxII, 5ds r and you can´t get the best of the results....well, it´s time to consider that the fault it is not in the equipment.... :D

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
wab72 said:
Did you noticed the cover of the pentaprism-box? It's not an unique piece with the upper cover like in 5D III and 5DS/R and 6D and so on ... I don't think about a built-in flash but ... :
Something to deal with Wi-Fi or GPS antennas ?
An EVF can be installed instead of the pentaprism box ???

The viewfinder housing is almost certainly plastic ("polycarbonate composite" or "engineering plastic" to make it sound less cheap ;)) in order not to obstruct the Wi-Fi and GPS antenna signal. The whole top of the 6D body is plastic so it does not need seams around the viewfinder; the 7D2 and the 1DX2 only have GPS, no Wi-Fi, so a smaller plastic hump next to the flash hot shoe suffices.

Upvote 0
Wesley said:
JohnUSA said:
Wesley said:
3kramd5 said:
At the risk of getting my hopes up over unconfirmed capabilities, if Canon T Engineer called me up as said "two options: 1. we increase the DR of your 5D by 2EV, or 2. we enable you to adjust the focus in post by up to approximately an eyelash's length, I'd jump at the second option. Jump. For my usage, that would save far more photos than would be made possible by the additional range.

Do you have your AF calibrated?
Saving photos by changing focus within eyelash length seems more like a back/front focus issue.
I'd rather calibrate than shoot double the image size & use Canon DPP.

Think of shooting a person hand-held wide open... subject is swaying a little and so is the photographer. Each probably move more than an eyelash length. I shoot weddings... I'd welcome the new option.

"Think of shooting a person hand-held wide open... subject is swaying a little and so is the photographer."

If your focus is ruined enough by swaying a little than you shouldn't be shooting wide open.
Stop down and/or raise ISO.

"Each probably move more than an eyelash length."

Here's to hoping dual pixels can shift focus on a massive level.

If this dual pixel 5Dmkiv can do half what a "light field camera" can do, on the "focusing after the shoot" part, it would be a breakthrough for Canon! Theoretically speaking dual pixel cameras just might be able to do it, since one pixel can carry the magnitude info and the other phase of the captured image.

more info on "light field camera"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEMP3XEgnws

Upvote 0

Gadger

CR Pro
Jul 26, 2015
Go Wild said:
RickSpringfield said:

Just to finalize....If you have a 5DIII, a 1dx, 1dxII, 5ds r and you can´t get the best of the results....well, it´s time to consider that the fault it is not in the equipment.... :D

Thanks for making me smile too :D

Upvote 0
Wesley said:
scyrene said:
Wesley said:
JohnUSA said:
Think of shooting a person hand-held wide open... subject is swaying a little and so is the photographer. Each probably move more than an eyelash length. I shoot weddings... I'd welcome the new option.

If your focus is ruined enough by swaying a little than you shouldn't be shooting wide open.
Stop down and/or raise ISO.

Sheesh. I don't do tonnes of portraiture, but I've done enough - and used very wide aperture lenses with and without IS - to know that it's not as simple as you make out. First, wide aperture gives a look that many like, and cannot be replicated by other means. Second, with ambient lighting, it's quite easy to hit the practical upper ISO limit AND the minimum handholdable shutter speed EVEN shooting wide open. Any technological help with every aspect of photography is to be welcomed - the same attitude was used to dismiss IS, AF, automatic metering, and a host of other advances. They each have their place - for some of us, at least. Telling people they're wrong to desire a little extra leeway is pretty narrowminded.

If you're hitting the upper ISO limit and minimum handhold SS even shooting wide open than you really can't complain about ruined focus. You should know it was coming. At this point, I would be more worried about motion blur and the AF system retaining accuracy in that low light...

Use a monopod/tripod or HSS flash. More stable platform. Modeling light or speedlight infrared aid AF system.

Shoot a wedding or two and you'll see tweaking the focus after the fact might save a few images. Even if a quarter inch it would be helpful. I'm using continuous focus via the back button and when necessary with the speedlight's infrared grid pattern. Shooting with 5D3 and 6D.

Upvote 0
ashmadux said:
Go Wild said:

- Improvement in autofocus - The AF in 5DIII isn´t bad, but it´s not also very good.

:( :eek: :( :eek: ::) :-\

wth?

CRAZIEST statement Ive read in 50+ pages of posts.

Even my 5d3 is on the table giggling at that one. 8) :p ;)
Poor low light AF was a key reason I gave up on the 5DIII (together with very marginal IQ improvement) and stuck with my 5DII's. -2ev is no laughing matter when you are shooting at dusk.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
JohnUSA said:
Go Wild said:

I would say the AF is very, very good... But I agree the 5D3's AF could definitely use an improvement.

That's the same 1DX AF system that's been on every sports sideline the last four years. All those white lenses you see on sidelines are not there solely because the lenses themselves are great -- they would not be there in such overwhelming numbers if the AF was not top drawer. Yes, some systems have a wider spread, but I'm not aware of any that track better.

The 5D3 AF does need improvement but only in specific areas: they need to bring back red servo AF points and expanded f/8 use for the teleconverter crowd. And move to -3 EV for dark rooms / places. Other than that, if you are hung up on the number of points or how much those points fill the frame, go get a mirrorless rig and see what chasing that will do for you. :p

I understand that everything on the 5D3 could improve -- I do -- but the AF is absolutely one the strongest legs it stands on.

- A

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
My idea of a useful thread would be this. Here are shots that represent the type of photography I do, here are the reasons I think they could be better, and here is how the camera features I'm proposing would give me this capability, etc.

Many posters are in essence already providing this kind of useful information but a significant number are wasting valuable time of their own and mine as I try to sift through the comments.

Talk is cheap. I am a relative beginner and I have been posting on CR for almost 3 years now. There are a pretty significant number of photos under my name. I can have a valid opinion about those things that I'm familiar with but when I don't really know something I try to keep my mouth shut rather than expose my ignorance by talking nonsense.

I believe I'm improving and quality CR posts and PM's are to a large extent responsible for this. There are many super knowledgeable folk contributing positively, agreeing, disagreeing, encouraging Canon (assuming Canon folk ever view such threads, which seems a stretch), offering work-arounds, posting links to useful data, etc. etc.

So how are you contributing? If you were not anonymous, would you be proud to have the world know that is your post? Or, are you a childish phony? Come on, some of you can do better. :)

Jack

Upvote 0
ashmadux said:
Go Wild said:

:( :eek: :( :eek: ::) :-\

wth?

CRAZIEST statement Ive read in 50+ pages of posts.

Even my 5d3 is on the table giggling at that one. 8) :p ;)

And again, it´s all very personal.... Put a 7d markII and a 5D markIII. The 7D markII is a better AF than the 5d markIII for wildlife!

I struggle a little with 5D markIII to focus in poor light and also in BIF´s. Again...why is it stupid or crazy just because it is not your opinion? Read what i said, it is not bad, but could be better. For most of the purposes, the af is just great! For events, or weddings, never fail me. But for wildlife, is not perfect. Just that! If Canon improve it a bit, is it bad?? ;)

By the way, i am not sure on that, but the Af sistem is not the same from 1Dx. It is very similar but not the same. And you notice that with long lenses and telecoverters.

Maybe i dont use the best words. What i was meaning is that (for me) the 5d3 miss a little point in AF witch could be improved. But that´s only my feeling from use in real life in wildlife concerns. However, i don´t want to be unfair, the af is great and i love my camera!!

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
hayden said:
If you were to start fresh with $10,000, which would you choose at this point?

1) Canon: 2x Mark IV bodies + 85mm + 24-70mm

2) Sony: 2x A7r2 bodies + 85mm gmaster + 24-70mm gmaster

3) Canon: 1x 1DX2 body + 85mm + 24-70mm

I am a lowly street fashion and runway photographer if anyone cares.

considering the lack of support with the A7R2's.. 1 or 3.

at least you're not dealing with precision camera.

Upvote 0