More Tripod Advice please

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
My wife and I each take the 7DII or 5DIII + 100-400 II + 1.4xTCs for our birding hikes. Unfortunately, most of the hides we go to in the UK are too far from the wildfowl on lakes for photography and good only for viewing. So, I have just bought a Swarovski 25-60 65mm spotting scope, and one of us will take a camera and the other the scope and tripod. I also found that just pressing the EOS-M plus f/2.8 22mm against the eyepiece on the scope mounted on my Manfrotto 190 series is very good for digiscoping, so I will take the little Canon in my pocket.

So, we now need a lightweight tripod. I have spent a couple of days reading every thread I could find here plus loads of reviews about lightweight tripods. Price is not a concern, and I would go for carbon for lightness and greater stiffness. I nearly bought a Gitzo Traveler, but a shop assistant who was very knowledgeable told me that although it would take the load of the scope or even my cameras and telephotos it is not recommended for longer focal lengths than 135 mm for its lack of stability, and I would need to go up a level to get to 300mm. Unfortunately, that would mean gear as heavy as my old Manfrotto 190 (2.1 kg). Swarovski's own tripod kit is as expensive as the Gitzo and looks no more stable (it's made by Manfrotto, actually). The MeFoto Roadtrip range looks great but I would guess despite its impressive load bearing doesn't have the lateral stability either. So, I am looking at the Nest Traveller series. The Traveller NT-6264CK Carbon certainly looks stable enough but weighs in at 2.49 kg. The Traveller NT-6294CK Carbon Fibre Tripod / Monopod Kit at 2 kg beat the MeFoto (aluminium Roadtrip) for "image quality" in a comparative test. The Traveller NT-6264CK Carbon Fibre Tripod / Monopod Kit at 1.52 kg is the weight I want and with 4 thicker legs vs 5 of the MeFoto looks more stable.

So, any advice please?

Jul 21, 2010
cycleraw said:
Don't overlook RRS. I think their stuff is the best.

+1

RRS TQC-14 + BH-30 LR is 1.5 kg and very stable. Not cheap, but that's a tripod axiom: stable, light, inexpensive –you can have up to two.

How sturdy is it? Well, the rated legs capacity is 25 lbs, but that's a bit conservative. How conservative? Well, let's just say I wouldn't recommend trying this with a Traveller or a MeFoto...

index.php

Upvote 0

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
This is a subject I have beenperplexed with for a long time.
Is saving 1/2kg REALLY a big deal?? Most of us are able bodied and the prices necessary to save 500g are ridiculous. I have a heavy duty Benro with the N2 head, and a MeFoTo A1340Q1(B) with detachable leg for monopod application. The Benro is over 2Kg’s in weight and the MeFoTo is 1.66kg's and I have never experienced major fatigue from carrying either around all day, and I’ve done the last 2 years of Dubai 24hrs races carrying these around with me all night. For track use the MeFoTo is my tripod of choice because of the mono/leg feature, but the Benro is always my choice for wildlife.
IMHO forget all about saving that 500g and buy a sturdy Aluminium leg tripod. I have found the Benro and MeFoTo carbon fibre equivalent’s of both my tripods, which are double the price, save about 200g, but are about 6cm shorter, to me it’s all a con! :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
TheJock said:
Is saving 1/2kg REALLY a big deal??

I'm guessing not for anyone who uses TheJock as a screen name. ;) Some people aren't jocks, there are carry on luggage weight restrictions (I've had hand luggage weighed on domestic flights in China), etc. CF damps vibration better, and is easier to handle with bare hands in cooler temps.

Upvote 0
I have a similar dilemma, looking for a decent travel tripod, prob going to be for EOS M with converter and 100mm f2.0 max on it.

I wouldn't spend RRS type money on a tripod (just too hefty when import duty and shipping is added on) unless it had Sachtler written on it, and they don't really do consumer travel...

Looking at either of the following:

Manfrotto 190 Go with exisiting 298RC head
Manfrotto 290 legs with same
or
Manfrotto BeFree (complete with ball head)

Weight & max height not too much of an issue, stability important as I'm going to be doing long exposures.

To Alan F, have a look at the Sachtler ACE M. It's bigger and heavier than what you are possibly looking for, but it has the finest smoothest and only properly adjustable counterbalancing head in it's price range. It is a superlative bit of kit if you want totally controllable movements with smooth ramps. It also has a bowl platform for the head, which saves a lot of frustrating messing around.

Does anybody have any direct experience of the Manfrotto BeFree? By direct experience I mean actually owns, has used, has rejected, swears by... not read a review or has an unfounded opinion... (I can work google)

Many thanks

Upvote 0

CurtL5

Purchaser of a little, Admirer of a lot
I too am shooting with the 5Dmiii and either a 70-200 or the 100-400 and sometimes with a 1.4x as well. Went through this same thing earlier this year and wound up with the MeFoto Globetrotter. While it's likely not able to support me should I feel the need to swing on it, thus far it has certainly performed every bit as well as I would expect.

The height is fine, the weight is very good as compared to the large Manfrotto I was carrying around previously, the ballhead is very smooth and easy to adjust. It did take a little time to get used to the twist-lock legs as compared to the locking lever of the Manfrottos, but not a huge concern.

I don't go places where the temps get quite as cold as others see so I cannot comment on that aspect but for my purposes, this has been an excellent acquisition and I picked it up from a camera shop that was going out of business so I got it for 25% off, bringing it to well under $300 US instead of the typical $369...

http://www.mefoto.com/products/globetrotter.aspx

~curt

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
CurtL5 said:
...I picked it up from a camera shop that was going out of business so I got it for 25% off, bringing it to well under $300 US instead of the typical $369...

I almost bought a little MeFOTO Road Trip at a Calumet store liquidation. What stopped me was when I loosened one of the leg locks the bottom leg section slid right out and clattered onto the floor. Possibly a damaged floor model, but it didn't inspire confidence.

Upvote 0

CurtL5

Purchaser of a little, Admirer of a lot
neuroanatomist said:
CurtL5 said:
...I picked it up from a camera shop that was going out of business so I got it for 25% off, bringing it to well under $300 US instead of the typical $369...

I almost bought a little MeFOTO Road Trip at a Calumet store liquidation. What stopped me was when I loosened one of the leg locks the bottom leg section slid right out and clattered onto the floor. Possibly a damaged floor model, but it didn't inspire confidence.

That certainly wouldn't, I agree! Doesn't seem that mine has this same feature, fortunately...

Upvote 0
Tinky said:
I have a similar dilemma, looking for a decent travel tripod, prob going to be for EOS M with converter and 100mm f2.0 max on it.

I wouldn't spend RRS type money on a tripod (just too hefty when import duty and shipping is added on) unless it had Sachtler written on it, and they don't really do consumer travel...

Looking at either of the following:

Manfrotto 190 Go with exisiting 298RC head
Manfrotto 290 legs with same
or
Manfrotto BeFree (complete with ball head)

Weight & max height not too much of an issue, stability important as I'm going to be doing long exposures.

To Alan F, have a look at the Sachtler ACE M. It's bigger and heavier than what you are possibly looking for, but it has the finest smoothest and only properly adjustable counterbalancing head in it's price range. It is a superlative bit of kit if you want totally controllable movements with smooth ramps. It also has a bowl platform for the head, which saves a lot of frustrating messing around.

Does anybody have any direct experience of the Manfrotto BeFree? By direct experience I mean actually owns, has used, has rejected, swears by... not read a review or has an unfounded opinion... (I can work google)

Many thanks

I have the Manfrotto BeFree.. the original aluminium, not the newer CF version.. I love it, really light and portable, took it to Australia last year and shot long exposures with 6D, 17 - 40L + LEE Filters, really happy with results.

It could be more stable and it doesn't have a hook to hang your bag from so I have subsequently bought one of those tripod stone bags but haven't yet had the chance to use it, and the ballhead included seems a little flimsy but was fine for the gear listed above.

I also have a Manfrotto 190PROCX carbon fibre tripod with Manfrotto MH054M0-Q2 054 head which hardly gets any use now, where I am not carrying for ages/flying etc.. I will use it in preference as it certainly seems more stable, practicality means it is usually left at home and for my purpose I can't tell the differences in the final image.

I should add here.. I am not a pro, or a pixel peeper, I shoot for myself and rarely get the opportunity to spend a long time on my photography (young family/busy job), so I usually shoot hand held, but long exposures is where my tripod is vital - that's why I love the BeFree.. with the Aussie trip, space and weight meant it was that or nothing, and I couldn't have got some of the pics I took without it. Hope that helps!

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

I use both long lenses and a spotting scope and from my experience a medium size spotting scope is FAR more difficult to support than my Canon 800mm F5.6! The problem is not weight - it's the magnification. Add to this the fact that scopes weigh next to nothing then you really need to damp down the scope on a rigid tripod.
For my scope I normally use an old Gitzo G1329 Mk2 - it is a big heavy beast (2.3 Kilo) but nice and rigid. If there is a bit of hiking involved I will tolerate a 2 series Gitzo GT2531(1.4 Kilo) but that is the minimum I consider worthwhile.
I see RRS tripods have been recommended and wholeheartedly agree but they are too pricey over here (UK).

I am far from an expert on fluid heads but I am hearing good things about this one:
http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-manfrotto-500-pro-fluid-video-head-flat-base/p1538420

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

lastcoyote said:
Ive been thinking about getting a light portable but strong travel tripod too.

What are people's opinion on the offerings from 3 Legged Thing?
Like the look of their X1.1 Brian Evolution 2.

I have tried a couple of 3LT tripods and, though they are well made, I cannot personally recommend them. They are extremely versatile and do everything you can think of except the one thing that I want it to do - namely support my camera properly at a reasonable height. If you do not extend the legs of center column then they are nice and rigid but the legs have too many sections and the center column has to be raised to gain any reasonable height. The Feisol Tournament tripods are far better IMO and experience.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Don't overlook Feisol, their stuff is also the best ;)

fwiw, I bought a Feisol after finding out the RRS I purchased just didn't jive with my height requirements. Nothing against the pod. But I found a Feisol that gave me everything I liked about the RRS,while fitting my height, length and weight #'s as well and at less than half the cost.

Upvote 0

Northbird

"Be a rainbow in somebody else's cloud" - Maya A.
slclick said:
Don't overlook Feisol, their stuff is also the best ;)

fwiw, I bought a Feisol after finding out the RRS I purchased just didn't jive with my height requirements. Nothing against the pod. But I found a Feisol that gave me everything I liked about the RRS,while fitting my height, length and weight #'s as well and at less than half the cost.

Agreee on Feisol tripods, good quality manufacturing. I've owned the 3372 for a few years now and have been very pleased with it. I use a Jobu Pro II gimbal with it and my 600 F4 is very solid on this combination.

Upvote 0