More Tripod Advice please

I am not sure if Induro tripod would fit your purpose, but I recently bought one for landscape photography, Induro Grand Turismo AGT214 Aluminum 8M Tripod with Ball Head, and am pretty happy with it so far.

Originally, I wanted to get a MeFOTO Globetrotter Tripod Kits which is sometimes sold for under $200 (very rare though, one time it was sold for $159 via B&H but I missed the deal since I wanted to see the tripod in real life first at Sammys.) I then waited another deal for almost a year, and also keep my eyes on Induro. Lucky enough, Induro went on-sale for one day only, so I got it. Below is the information that I did in comparing Induro and MeFOTO. RRS, Gitzo, and some other brands are also good but it is kinda pricey, plus I am just a hobbyist... which is the main reason why I am choosing Induro...

Note:
1. If register online, the company will add additional 5 years extended warranty, so all together is 10 years.
2. Almost forgot to tell that the highlighted ball head is the one that comes together with the Induro AGT214

Attachments

• Information - Induro & MeFOTO Tripods.jpg
    Information - Induro & MeFOTO Tripods.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 340
  • Information - Induro Head.jpg
    Information - Induro Head.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 243
Upvote 0
Am anything but an expert on tripod legs, but I've been very satisfied with my Benro A2190T Travel Flat Angel. It weighs 3.12 lbs. It's folded length is 16.9 inches. And it folds flat to easily fit inside most roller bags. While there is no hook for hanging additional weight, I'm able to use the legs without the included columns...thereby giving me a reasonably solid setup.

http://m.benrousa.com/products/travel-flat/benro-a2190t.aspx

Upvote 0
I personally do not think you can beat Sirui tripods for what you are looking for.

The N-2004 is very strong, folds down to a very small size, can collapse to create ground shooting with a small center column, has a monopod built in (you just remove one leg) and it comes with its own bag.

I travel with mine everywhere and it has sat whole days in torrential rain while I try and get some shots as well as super hot days and has never given me a problem.

Can't recommend them highly enough.

Upvote 0

Leejo

Still relearning the same things...
Jul 20, 2012
What kind of travelling do you have in mind ?
For me there is a difference between hiking, landscapes aided by a vehicle, or City travelling, in the demands on the tripod.
For hiking weight is the key -- though you want a certain comfortable height at the end. a compromise would be required, and Gitzo, Feisol etc can deliver there.
If you are not there then there are a number of Tripods from RRS etc that can be put in a car, truck etc.
and I would look there.

For city travel I am a fan of three legged thing's Brian Tripods. similar to the Benro Traveller only better in my opinion. (Can't comment on Sirius/Induro too well)
I don't know what the previous poster was testing against, but like for like, 3LT compares with Feisol and the rest.

Regardless of how we look at it it will come down to the Quality of the manufacturing and Price/weight.
There are a number of physical limitations any travel tripod is going to have to contend with.
If you are flying at least in Europe, without extra baggage, this means the tripod in a suitcase, and so the folded length is a maximum of around 45 cm, a Little less if you want padding. 4 Leg sections give a maximum height of thus less than 1.5m. 5 leg sections may be possible, but would give a heavier tripod as the columns would be thicker.
I accept the compromise and don't extend the middle column much - yes I have to bend.
3LT and a few others do offer the ability to use one leg, with the middle column extender, to form a short monopod of around 1,4m. Another compromise, but for travelling acceptable.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks everyone for your input. After days of research, your advice and trying out at the local shop, I have found that my ancient Manfrotto 190XDB + 390RC2 pan/tilt head is better than the light travel ones I have tried. At full height with the centre column down it is perfect for my wife and me and rock solid. It weighs 2.1 kg, only 0.1 kg more than the Swarovski £500+ carbon fibre. It is a bit big for taking on planes but it will do me for local travel for the time being.

I have just tried it out for digiscoping. These are just quick jpegs straight out of the EOS-M + 22 mm f/2 pressed against the eyepiece of the Swarovski 25-60 65mm at 25x with no PP. Don't take these seriously as I have yet to learn the technique and then shoot in raw. Also the target was in the shade and he exposures are too long. At this distance it's hard to get good shots even with a decent telephoto on the 7DII. It's going to be fantastic for bright scenes across the lake. By the way, 22mm at 25x magn gives an effective focal length of 550mm and aperture ~ f/8.

Attachments

• Chaff+Goldfinch.jpg
    Chaff+Goldfinch.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 254
  • Goldfinch.jpg
    Goldfinch.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 249
Upvote 0
I recently got a Gitzo GT3542LS and cpmbined with Arca Z1 ball head. Extremely sturdy for my landscape work and a lot lighter than what I've been used to carrying. This combo works well for me, but may be a push to call it lightweight.

I also here good things about Sirui carbon fibre tripods but have no experience with them.

Upvote 0

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
neuroanatomist said:
I'm guessing not for anyone who uses TheJock as a screen name. ;)
LOL, I just saw this Neuro :)
My preference of user name was already taken when I signed up to CR, so being put on the spot I went with something to reflect my home origins rather than fitness level!!!!, a 45 year old guy that works in an office from Glasgow is a far cry from the type of Jock you had in mind ;D

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

Leejo said:
I don't know what the previous poster was testing against, but like for like, 3LT compares with Feisol and the rest.

I compared them to my Gitzo GT2531 as it is the smallest/lightest tripod that I have. I have used a few 3LT carbon models and I like their quality + they are assembled in the UK! The components appear to be from Triopo (though I could be wrong) which is no bad thing, my problem is with their design which appears to prioritise compactness over performance. This leads to too many leg sections as well as the multi leg section center columns.
I can't remember all the 3LT tripods that I have played with but these were definitely 2 of them:
http://www.3leggedthing.com/frankblack.html
http://www.3leggedthing.com/tripods/travel-tripods/brianevo2.html

Most (all?) European Airlines allow hand baggage of up-to 55cm so, in my opinion if travelling is a priority, then the Feisol CT3442 is a better option. If traveling is not a priority then a good, stout, 3 leg section tripod is better still. 2 close friends of mine have the Feisol CT3442 and CT3342 and, considering their weight and price, I rate them highly.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

To AlanF.

I forgot to mention in my first post that Gitzo weight and lens recommendations are extremely conservative! My 1.8 Kilo GT3530LS is designed for lenses up to 400 mm and loads of up to 18 Kilos. It is more than stable/rigid enough for my Canon 800mm lens (even compared to a monster 5 series Gitzo) and is quite happy supporting around 105 Kilos - namely me!

Upvote 0
AlanF said:
I nearly bought a Gitzo Traveler, but a shop assistant who was very knowledgeable told me that although it would take the load of the scope or even my cameras and telephotos it is not recommended for longer focal lengths than 135 mm for its lack of stability, and I would need to go up a level to get to 300mm.
Which Gitzo Traveler did you look at? I have both the GT1542T (1-series) and GT2542T (2-series). The 1-series is super light and small, but it would not be stable enough for your intended use. The 2-series Gitzo Traveler is also light and small, but it's a lot more stable than the 1-series and I have used it with my 500/4 (v1) to photograph BIF, landscape, etc.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I plumped for the Gitzo Traveler GT544T. It arrived this morning and is incredibly rigid. Whoever thinks that all you gain from carbon fibre over aluminium is weight is, as Neuro says, wrong. This 1kg tripod makes my 1.6kg Manfrotto 190 look like a spring, and also the centre column is so rigid as well.

I also bought a 500g Manfrotto 700RC2 video head. BUt, there is now a problem - for which I have just opened a separate thread. How do I secure the mixed head and tripod securely? Please respond in http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=26542.0

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I finally bought a Gitzo G2180 head. Not cheap, but perfect for my needs. It features a counterbalancing internal spring system so that it is very easy to balance the scope and you can tilt with minimal friction and the scope stays at the right angle. Gitzo recommends removing the handle for bird spotting. The whole rig with the Traveller 1 system weighs only 1456g (3.2 lb). The Traveler is on the short side but that is just what you want for a spotting scope with an angled eyepiece where you look downwards.

Upvote 0