Mother of God - D800 scores 95 DxOMark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2011
briansquibb said:
Probably means most 7D and 1Dx owners
And birders are using the 5dIII? Nikon users would get a D7000 or perhaps even a D4. Its not like Nikon only makes the D800 and has abandoned every market but it. By comparison, your 7D would be pretty poor for landscapes compared to a D800E; but, you don't see people ripping you for that, because nobody bought a 7D to go shoot tripod-mounted landscapes. You knew what utensil you were getting; D800 owners do too

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

preppyak said:
briansquibb said:
And birders are using the 5dIII? Nikon users would get a D7000 or perhaps even a D4. Its not like Nikon only makes the D800 and has abandoned every market but it. By comparison, your 7D would be pretty poor for landscapes compared to a D800E; but, you don't see people ripping you for that, because nobody bought a 7D to go shoot tripod-mounted landscapes. You knew what utensil you were getting; D800 owners do too

If you read the thread you would have seen that I said the d800 was no good for wildlife/sports as it was suggested that the D800 was the best camera

The 5DIII was not in the discussion - but I would guess most birders use the 7D or 1D series

Landscapes were not mentioned in the discussion either - but now you mention it I might take a 1DX for a landscape.

You have no idea what kit I have - so I will ignore the personal remarks at the end

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
briansquibb said:
preppyak said:
briansquibb said:

If you read the thread you would have seen that I said the d800 was no good for wildlife/sports as it was suggested that the D800 was the best camera

The 5DIII was not in the discussion - but I would guess most birders use the 7D or 1D series

Landscapes were not mentioned in the discussion either - but now you mention it I might take a 1DX for a landscape.

You have no idea what kit I have - so I will ignore the personal remarks at the end

D30 forever. 8)

Upvote 0
traveller said:
Anyone else wondering whether the differences between the D800 and D800e are statistically significant?
In a word, no. You would get the same degree of variation if you tested the identical equipment (not just the same model, but in this case if you retested the same camera). It's the same design of sensor in both cameras, so I would find it difficult to justify any differences if they had found them. So just to clarify, it is statistical variation, the problem is, they are making an issue out of the "differences" with their sensationalist style headline, not very scientific :p.

Upvote 0
I'm sick of Nikon and Canon failing to provide enough megapixels! When are these companies going to start providing us with the tools we need? The D800 and the 5DIII both fail to provide enough resolution for out purposes. Here is the technology that they should be offering in their baseline full frame DSLRs:

http://news.discovery.com/tech/gigapixel-camera-120620.html#mkcpgn=fbsci1

(Just in case it isn't clear--the above post is sarcastic. Kind of a lot of megapixels in the camera that article talks about though...)

Upvote 0
Kumakun said:
I'm sick of Nikon and Canon failing to provide enough megapixels! When are these companies going to start providing us with the tools we need? The D800 and the 5DIII both fail to provide enough resolution for out purposes. Here is the technology that they should be offering in their baseline full frame DSLRs:

http://news.discovery.com/tech/gigapixel-camera-120620.html#mkcpgn=fbsci1

(Just in case it isn't clear--the above post is sarcastic. Kind of a lot of megapixels in the camera that article talks about though...)
yeah but according to DxO the D800 still wins :p

Upvote 0
It still hillariously amusing seeing the D800 squad above the IQ180 kind of sums up the whole DxOhohohoh
credibility right there

I wouldn't laugh before I did the test myself :)

11.89EV pixel-level DR for the IQ180 is not so great, compared to 13.23EV pixel-level DR for the D800. So I'm assuming the IQ180 has considerably higher low ISO read noise... i.e. what plagues Canons. Not sure if the print DR numbers are fair b/c I'm not certain of the validity of their normalization process. Downsizing ~80MP to 36MP would of course lower the noise levels.

I'm sure that the IQ180 has incredible image quality; I'd just be cautious about mocking the actual measurement numbers DXO provide since my own dynamic range wedge tests with the 5D, 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III, & D7000 match DXO's numbers really well... which also match my real-world tests... which also pretty much match what people all over the interwebs are posting these days showing the incredible DR advantage of the D800 (heck even the D7000) over the 5D series.

I don't usually pay any attention to the overall score; I'm only interested in the specific measurements which allow you me to judge a sensor based on my needs.

Upvote 0
As I keep saying maybe Nikon have made some better cameras this round woopdy dooo so what
doesnt make the canons bad...

"ok guys thats it pack up and go home its official you cant take good pictures anymore! and infact any good pictures you have taken with a canon in the past are no officially longer good. DxO said so"

the differences are marginal IRL congrats to nikon for making some great cameras

but to think that navel gazing DxO results actually mean much? thats delusional

Bad photos can be taken with an IQ180 great photos can be taken with a D800e and award winning photos can be taken with a rebel. As the saying in drag racing goes "Run what you Brung"

I am seriously over all the crap and hysteria about 1 or 2 stops of DR that are generated from pushing shadow regions anyway. ::)

why dont all the Noink DR fanboys take their D800s over to nikon rumours and have a nice circle jerk over them there instead of constantly plaguing a forum about canon

OK THE D800 IS THE BESTEST! WE GET IT ALREADY! ::)

Its getting like that south park episode where every one bought hybrids
smug levels are getting outta control
images

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
As I keep saying maybe Nikon have made some better cameras this round woopdy dooo so what
doesnt make the canons bad...

"ok guys thats it pack up and go home its official you cant take good pictures anymore! and infact any good pictures you have taken with a canon in the past are no officially longer good. DxO said so"

the differences are marginal IRL congrats to nikon for making some great cameras

but to think that navel gazing DxO results actually mean much? thats delusional

Bad photos can be taken with an IQ180 great photos can be taken with a D800e and award winning photos can be taken with a rebel. As the saying in drag racing goes "Run what you Brung"

I am seriously over all the crap and hysteria about 1 or 2 stops of DR that are generated from pushing shadow regions anyway. ::)

why dont all the Noink DR fanboys take their D800s over to nikon rumours and have a nice circle jerk over them there instead of constantly plaguing a forum about canon

OK THE D800 IS THE BESTEST! WE GET IT ALREADY! ::)

Its getting like that south park episode where every one bought hybrids
smug levels are getting outta control
images

+1

Upvote 0
pixelkiller said:
briansquibb said:
Orion said:
Quick Sensor Summary: Nikon D800E is new king in sensor quality
Pretty poor at wildlife/sports though.
Simple. It was never meant for that.

+1 ... but hey, this is a Canon enthusiast's forum, there have to be some domestic Canon trolls to counter the Nikon foreigners ;-)

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Its getting like that south park episode where every one bought hybrids. Smug levels are getting outta control.

Yes...Plus 1 or 2 or whatever.

On the other hand, I admit I take a bit of pleasure seeing all the "I've-got-a-bigger-sensor-than-you" folks going ape-crap trying to tear down DXO simply because they don't like the results. After all, we 7D owners have to constantly listen to some pretty intense smug levels every day on this forum.

Personally, I'm tired that every discussion of the 7D gets hijacked by:

1) Those who can't let go of APS-H even though it is so done you need to stick a fork in it;

2) Fools who think that full frame trumps everything; and perhaps most annoying of all

3) Single-digit fetishists who can't stand the thought that Canon would actually use a single digit to market an APS-C camera.

Rant Over.

Yes. Depending on what your criteria is, Nikon made a better camera this cycle and they are selling it for $500 less. Frankly, I'm glad. Competition in the marketplace is the only thing that gives companies the discipline they need to excel.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
unfocused said:
Personally, I'm tired that every discussion of the 7D gets hijacked by:
1) Those who can't let go of APS-H even though it is so done you need to stick a fork in it;
2) Fools who think that full frame trumps everything; and perhaps most annoying of all
3) Single-digit fetishists who can't stand the thought that Canon would actually use a single digit to market an APS-C camera.
Yes. Depending on what your criteria is, Nikon made a better camera this cycle and they are selling it for $500 less. Frankly, I'm glad. Competition in the marketplace is the only thing that gives companies the discipline they need to excel.

+1 re. 7D and

+1 re 5D3 vs D800 ... except that I would be even more glad, if it was the other way round and the 5D3 would trounce the D800 and be € 500 cheaper. ;D

Upvote 0
Quote from: wickidwombat on June 21, 2012, 07:27:50 PM
It still hillariously amusing seeing the D800 squad above the IQ180 kind of sums up the whole DxOhohohoh
credibility right there

psolberg wrote:
it's ok. denial eventually goes away.

+1 psolberg.

What perplexes me is how confidently some people make statements without doing controlled tests themselves.

But what particularly makes your statement 'denial eventually goes away' appropriate is the whole hoopla surrounding DXO's D800 DR rating & the initial backlash against DXO all over these threads (and other sites) because of those numbers... and the subsequent (final) acceptance of those DR numbers after numerous examples all over the internet of the stops upon stops of increased shadow performance on the D800 vs. the 5D series.

I admit I myself was dubious of DXO's numbers initially... until I did wedge & real-world tests that completely agreed with DXO's numbers. And I was glad I didn't initially respond to those numbers with outspoken incredulity.

Controlled testing & peer review was established for a reason :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.