My first wedding Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quasimodo said:
studio1972 said:
mitchell3417 said:
bycostello said:
with that kit i'd have the 50-150 on the camera all day...

+1
The 50-150. is going to be your bread and butter. It's really hard to catch a facial expression or feel close to the action with a 17-55mm. The only time I would use that is for large groups if you can't get far enough back or for a few establishing shots during the ceremony.

I have a 17-55, love it. But when I shoot weddings, it doesn't see much action.

Sorry, but this is really bad advice, you should be working mainly in the 50mm full frame range (around 30mm on your 60d).

I don't mean any offence, but most of the folks on here are not pro wedding photographers, you might be better asking this question on a forum that is aimed more at that sort of person.

More importantly, you need a spare body.

IMHO the people who has adviced here, myself included have not pretended to be something they are not:) I looked at your pictures, and they are great.

I think the case as it was with me, many people are short on money with all the expenses for a wedding, and in that situation they tend to ask friends who they know shoot pictures more or less well to do it as a favour. It is not because we want to do it, but rather out of an obligation to friends. Alcohol, food, music and other things are expensive, but soon forgotten, while the pictures who will live on is the place many unfortunately feel it's okay to save money...

I agree, I don't have a beef with people giving advice. It's just that TBH this forum is mainly occupied by photo enthusiasts, rather than experienced wedding photographers. Nothing wrong with that, but maybe not the best place to get wedding photography advice, I would suggest maybe the digital grin wedding forum as a good friendly place to go, for example.

I don't think there is anything particularly wrong with an inexperienced person shooting a wedding, as long as the bride and groom have low expectations, which can hopefully be bettered. Maybe for a very low budget wedding. On the other hand, if the wedding is costing 20k+ and they're just trying to skimp on the photos, they might regret it.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
barton springs said:
**this is not what you are going to want to hear but you are doing your friend(s) a disservice if you
go through with this. Shooting weddings is like nothing else in our business. Tell you friends right now
your misgivings and how you very well could not come through with good product.

**Also important is you really shouldn't be charging a fee (if you are) after what you posted here. You simply
are not qualified. That's the reality. After a longtime in this business I've seen and heard about too many
wedding nightmare photo catastrophes and you know who looses? The client and the family. These
are your friends. Be straight with them. Tell them to cough up a little more and get an experienced
shooter. To save them money you could volunteer and be his/her photo assistant to bring down the fee.

All the best......
I like this link ~~> http://rickkent.com/weddings_NOT.ME.htm

Couldn’t agree more, hard to take but if you needed to ask the question you shouldn’t do it. If your nervous now you will be totally bricking it on the day, 1/1000 sec won’t stop the shakes. what you can do (and I talk from experience here) is to offer to take additional reception and informal photographs of the occasion. Your friends should get a professional photographer to do the key photographs and you do the rest, that’s still a large part of the event. Remember also that many couples attending would love a photograph of themselves but are unwilling to pay professional prices. You can be of great service at this point. When my wife and I got married one of the best presents we got was an album of photographs a friend took of informal pictures of us, friends and work colleagues at the reception and especially of the after party back at my father in laws house 25 years later we treasure that album.

Oh yeah and one more little bit of advice, If they are having young page boys and flower girls (not too young obviously) give them point and shoot disposable cameras at the reception (after the formalities) you might be surprised at the results!!

good luck!

Upvote 0
I disagree that a non-pro should never shoot weddings. I've done 6 so far and every time the couple was really pleased with the result. (Even though they were far from professional grade photographs) I think there are 2 categories of weddings.
One were the couple spends thousands upon thousands of dollars and expects everything to be perfect. Those will most likely also hire a prof wedding photographer at insanely (but sure enough warranted) high prices. Now, if a couple like this will want to hire a non-pro to save some (or rather a lot) of money: Run like hell! Do not do it, it's not going to be worth the trouble and everybody will be miserable.
Two (and this one is most likely not known to all those pro-wedding shooters) were the couple just wants to have a nice wedding. Families and friends, simple as that. On one wedding the bride made is especially clear that she only wanted a few shots of the couple outside of the regular wedding ceremony. She knew we could do great couple pictures, but it would have been stressful for her and more importantly taken her away from the actual wedding. It was her day and she wanted it to spend it with her friends and family. We took about 20 minutes of time between the church ceremony and the wedding reception and that was it. There were some nice shots, but nothing stellar. And you know what, she was happy! If a couple like this asks me to shoot their wedding I will gladly accept.

Be sure to talk to the couple well before hand and know their expectations. If you are confident in your photography skills and they know your limits and both match up, then go do it. (But don't think that it's going to be an easy job! Read the journal I posted earlier, you'll be dead by the end of the day no matter how small the couples expectations are!)

Upvote 0
P

PhilDrinkwater

Forceflow said:
I disagree that a non-pro should never shoot weddings. I've done 6 so far and every time the couple was really pleased with the result. (Even though they were far from professional grade photographs) I think there are 2 categories of weddings.
One were the couple spends thousands upon thousands of dollars and expects everything to be perfect. Those will most likely also hire a prof wedding photographer at insanely (but sure enough warranted) high prices. Now, if a couple like this will want to hire a non-pro to save some (or rather a lot) of money: Run like hell! Do not do it, it's not going to be worth the trouble and everybody will be miserable.
Two (and this one is most likely not known to all those pro-wedding shooters) were the couple just wants to have a nice wedding. Families and friends, simple as that. On one wedding the bride made is especially clear that she only wanted a few shots of the couple outside of the regular wedding ceremony. She knew we could do great couple pictures, but it would have been stressful for her and more importantly taken her away from the actual wedding. It was her day and she wanted it to spend it with her friends and family. We took about 20 minutes of time between the church ceremony and the wedding reception and that was it. There were some nice shots, but nothing stellar. And you know what, she was happy! If a couple like this asks me to shoot their wedding I will gladly accept.

Be sure to talk to the couple well before hand and know their expectations. If you are confident in your photography skills and they know your limits and both match up, then go do it. (But don't think that it's going to be an easy job! Read the journal I posted earlier, you'll be dead by the end of the day no matter how small the couples expectations are!)

I both agree and disagree with you. I agree with you that some non-pros will do a fine job of providing some photos for couples that don't care *too* much about photos :)

However, I also believe that everyone has certain expectations: the photos should be in focus, they should be exposed correctly, they should be relatively flattering and so on. What the couple is therefore *risking* is that they may end up with *nothing at all*. They don't see this risk beforehand - they assume the camera does the work and the photos WILL be in focus, exposed correctly and relatively flattering (this it is because they believe in your ability, regardless of whether you have any experience).

I've seen many examples of people who have hired beginner photographers (paid or not) and received such dreadful photos that they were really upset. They can't do their wedding again and all record of it is completely lost.

It's a risk - you may end up with something, and you may end up with nothing whatsoever. The couple need to understand that this is a *real* possibility.

For a beginner photographer, they should go round the house inside and out and get used to changing their exposure very very quickly. If they understand the basics of photography (exposure, aperture, shutter speed, iso, exposure compensation), it'll take a day or twos practice to get to the point where they're doing it effectively and quickly. They should NOT go to a wedding without knowing how to do this. Someones wedding day is not the time to practice and learn.

Upvote 0
PhilDrinkwater said:
I've seen many examples of people who have hired beginner photographers (paid or not) and received such dreadful photos that they were really upset. They can't do their wedding again and all record of it is completely lost.

It's a risk - you may end up with something, and you may end up with nothing whatsoever. The couple need to understand that this is a *real* possibility.

Well, I did state exactly this, plus I think there is a lot between 'beginner photographer' and 'non pro wedding shooter' or even 'non professional' photographer. Of course you should be able to do proper photography. But the OP stated that this was his first wedding, not his first shoot ever. I absolutely agree that somebody who does not know his way around a camera should not ever do a wedding. I really doubt that this is the case here however.

Upvote 0
P

PhilDrinkwater

Forceflow said:
PhilDrinkwater said:

Well, I did state exactly this, plus I think there is a lot between 'beginner photographer' and 'non pro wedding shooter' or even 'non professional' photographer. Of course you should be able to do proper photography. But the OP stated that this was his first wedding, not his first shoot ever. I absolutely agree that somebody who does not know his way around a camera should not ever do a wedding. I really doubt that this is the case here however.

When I said "beginner" I meant "beginner at weddings" :) or maybe "beginner at events".

I think the issue I'm trying to highlight is that, even someone who has been shooting for years may completely fail at a wedding. The speed with which you had to work is something that people aren't used to and they quickly become confused or stressed and start making basic mistakes. I know I did. Some others will. Some others won't. That's why there is a risk, and it's a risk that even other photographers don't understand, never mind the general public.

I remember when I started assisting, the main photographer often had moved on before I'd even taken a shot! It was scary how fast I needed to move. These days I see the same with my own assistants. When I first started, I was a very competent photographer both in studio and outdoors but I'd just never needed to work that fast.

It's in this issue where people may really struggle. They might consider themselves a good photographer but just die under the pressure of a wedding.

In the end it depends what the couples expectations are, but I virtually guarantee that if they say "don't worry - just give us what you get", they don't *really* mean that :)

Weddings are a really unique type of photography with it's own issues (as many other areas of photography have).

OP: just make sure you can go round your house and garden very quickly and expose everything within 5 seconds and you should be fine :)

Upvote 0
C

Canon Cliff

zim said:
barton springs said:
**this is not what you are going to want to hear but you are doing your friend(s) a disservice if you
go through with this. Shooting weddings is like nothing else in our business. Tell you friends right now
your misgivings and how you very well could not come through with good product.

**Also important is you really shouldn't be charging a fee (if you are) after what you posted here. You simply
are not qualified. That's the reality. After a longtime in this business I've seen and heard about too many
wedding nightmare photo catastrophes and you know who looses? The client and the family. These
are your friends. Be straight with them. Tell them to cough up a little more and get an experienced
shooter. To save them money you could volunteer and be his/her photo assistant to bring down the fee.

All the best......
I like this link ~~> http://rickkent.com/weddings_NOT.ME.htm

Couldn’t agree more, hard to take but if you needed to ask the question you shouldn’t do it. If your nervous now you will be totally bricking it on the day, 1/1000 sec won’t stop the shakes. what you can do (and I talk from experience here) is to offer to take additional reception and informal photographs of the occasion. Your friends should get a professional photographer to do the key photographs and you do the rest, that’s still a large part of the event. Remember also that many couples attending would love a photograph of themselves but are unwilling to pay professional prices. You can be of great service at this point. When my wife and I got married one of the best presents we got was an album of photographs a friend took of informal pictures of us, friends and work colleagues at the reception and especially of the after party back at my father in laws house 25 years later we treasure that album.

Oh yeah and one more little bit of advice, If they are having young page boys and flower girls (not too young obviously) give them point and shoot disposable cameras at the reception (after the formalities) you might be surprised at the results!!

good luck!

Hi thanks for all the advise you guys are giving, and the links/additional forums to ask some questions.

My initial question was really to see how experianced others prefer to set there camera up and what lenses they would use in what situation? My friends are fully understanding that I am not a pro and i am not charging to doit, they like my photography and Just want to finish with some nice shots to put in frames on the wall, I am confident I can get those nice shots of them and complete there request list, we have arranged to take the pics at the church grounds once the guests have headed of to the breakfast/reception venue so there will be no on lookers snapping away over my shoulder! I'm now going to the rehearsal too,Hopefully this will get me more prepared for the service shots "thanks for that suggestion guys" we are going to have a reccy shoot at the church before the day now so I can hope fully nail the shot of them walking down the path through the guests and the confetti shot once they get to the church gates (church rules).

Let's hope I can keep the nerves calm and not have to crank the iso up to far to stop the camera shake! Lol :)

Thanks again guys for all your comments and ideas given!

Upvote 0
C

Canon Cliff

PhilDrinkwater said:
Canon Cliff said:
Let's hope I can keep the nerves calm and not have to crank the iso up to far to stop the camera shake! Lol :)

Haha! I'm sure you'll do fine :)

PhilDrinkwater your work is fantastic! and very inspiring! Maybe one day I will have the ability to become that creative a amazing talent!!!

Upvote 0
P

PhilDrinkwater

Canon Cliff said:
PhilDrinkwater said:
Canon Cliff said:

Haha! I'm sure you'll do fine :)

PhilDrinkwater your work is fantastic! and very inspiring! Maybe one day I will have the ability to become that creative a amazing talent!!!

Thank you :) That's very kind of you to say :)

Upvote 0
Just to give you an idea what you can be dealing with...

I walked past a church on a Saturday afternoon, and here was a wedding photographer trying to herd the party into a formal shot. Sure glad I don't have to do that anymore! And I have the utmost respect for the wedding photographers who are successful in that art/business.

IMG2352-M.jpg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.