Need recommendations for a bag to hold my camera/accessories

Status
Not open for further replies.

revup67

Memories in the Making
Dec 20, 2010
Southern California
www.flickr.com
I got a Lowepro Flipside 400AW off Ebay for a mere $99 through an authorized reseller (canadian). The bag is fantastic. custom configurable and was the only bag I could find that held a Canon camera body and a 400mm together. It's a back pack type, breathes well, holds two water containers. YOu can swing it around and it unzip from the the rear (inner) part of the back pack, not the outer. When you swing it around your waste and flip it forward it acts like a table top. Very sturdy as well.

The ebay reseller name was prodigitial2000 exactly like this one here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lowepro-Flipside-400-AW-Backpack-Pine-Green-/190625737040?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item2c622de950

there are youtube videos demonstrating the bag as well which I recommend reviewing especially this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXCAMU2A2ws

Revup67

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
revup67 said:
I got a Lowepro Flipside 400AW

I have one, really like it! Holds a gripped body, can fit two big white zooms (70-200/2.8, 100-400) and 3 other lenses, or one big zoom and 5 other lenses, plus a flash, filters, etc. Tripod attachment. Rain cover. Don't have to set it down in the mud to change lenses. Also like the extra security of the main compartment opening against my back.

Upvote 0

Crapking

"Whatever you are....be a good one." AL
Nov 9, 2011
jjlabella.photoshelter.com
Ronaldbyram said:
Check out Think Tank Products www.thinktankphoto.com
I got a Retrospective 30 They have a Hugle selection of Products

+1
It holds both a 1DIV and 7D gripped, 16-35/24-70/135 (or 70-200)/35 + flash and doesn't look like a camera bag and stays upright when you put it behind car seat/in trunk or on the ground.
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/shoulder-bags/retrospective.aspx

If carry-on roller bag is more your style, look at the Airport security. I have the International and just a little too small for 2 bodies and the laptop.
http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/rolling-camera-bags/airport-series.aspx

Upvote 0
I also have a Flipside 400AW!

Good bag, comfy, well built (like all Lowepros) and not too expensive; I can't give you a link because I don't know what country you're in, but all good camera stores should stock it (but not necessarily your small high street franchise outlets).

It should fit all the gear that you've listed comfortably but you won't have much room for personal kit (perhaps a jacket or fleece, some water/snacks and maps etc), it certainly wont accomodate a full laptop. You will notice how much bigger and bulkier it is than a sling bag, but it is also far more comfortable to carry for long periods. Like most rucksacks, you'll have to take it off to access your kit especially because of the 'flap-to-back' design but as Neuro states, this does increase security (not that it's an ideal bag for street shooting).

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
jwong said:
The issue I have are the lens hoods. Do people mount them reversed on each lens or try to nest them and dedicate a section of the bag specifically for the hoods? I wish they made the backpacks wider to accommodate the hoods easier...

For most lenses, I do store them in the bags with the hood reversed. The exceptions to that are two lenses with very shallow, very large diameter hoods - the 16-35L II and TS-E 24L II; those I store separate from the lens. Putting them all in the bag is kind of like a jigsaw puzzle - for example, the 70-200 II with hood reversed is substantially wider at the Front of the lens then near the mount, so I place a short, fat lens like the 85L II with hood reversed vertically alongside the exposed part of the 70-200's barrel.

Upvote 0
I'm a huge fan of Tamrac Bags. I have three.
Biggest bag: Expedition 8x. Holds two camera bodies, f/2.8 300mm, 70-200, 17-40 and 24-105 along with 2 T.C's and there is still room left over.

My Expedition 6x holds: two bodies, 70-200, 17-40, 24-105, 2 T.C's and a 580 speedlight.

Both bags have a laptop pocket and plenty of additional pockets for filters, batteries, cards, wimberly sidekick, rain gear etc.... You can strap a tripod on as well.

I won't use anything other then Tamrac after loving mine for 2+ years.

Upvote 0
J

jwong

canon816 said:
I'm a huge fan of Tamrac Bags. I have three.
Biggest bag: Expedition 8x. Holds two camera bodies, f/2.8 300mm, 70-200, 17-40 and 24-105 along with 2 T.C's and there is still room left over.

My Expedition 6x holds: two bodies, 70-200, 17-40, 24-105, 2 T.C's and a 580 speedlight.

Both bags have a laptop pocket and plenty of additional pockets for filters, batteries, cards, wimberly sidekick, rain gear etc.... You can strap a tripod on as well.

I won't use anything other then Tamrac after loving mine for 2+ years.

Are you able to keeps all the hoods on the lenses? I have an Adventure75 and it has the same width at 11". I'm finding it impossible to fit three lenses across the width with hoods attached...

Upvote 0
J

jwong

neuroanatomist said:
jwong said:
The issue I have are the lens hoods. Do people mount them reversed on each lens or try to nest them and dedicate a section of the bag specifically for the hoods? I wish they made the backpacks wider to accommodate the hoods easier...

For most lenses, I do store them in the bags with the hood reversed. The exceptions to that are two lenses with very shallow, very large diameter hoods - the 16-35L II and TS-E 24L II; those I store separate from the lens. Putting them all in the bag is kind of like a jigsaw puzzle - for example, the 70-200 II with hood reversed is substantially wider at the Front of the lens then near the mount, so I place a short, fat lens like the 85L II with hood reversed vertically alongside the exposed part of the 70-200's barrel.

Thanks for the input. I prefer storing the hoods with the lenses. I just picked up an additional lens, and no amount of rejiggering will get all the gear to fit with the hoods. I'm now looking to get a larger bag, and it looks like the LowePro Trekker 600AW might be a good choice because it has 14.6" interior width whereas most Tamracs (currently use) and others tend to top out at 11-12" wide...

Upvote 0

revup67

Memories in the Making
Dec 20, 2010
Southern California
www.flickr.com
Like most rucksacks, you'll have to take it off to access your kit especially because of the 'flap-to-back' design

Hi Traveller..not sure what you mean by take it off to access the kit. I just slip off the shoulder straps and swing it around the front while keep the entire pack attached to my waist having it act like a table top though I am sure you are ware of this. I unzip the camera compartment and have access to everything without removing the bag. In either case glad to see you and Neuro have acquired this bag - I am most impressed with mine especially that I can hang a water bottle off one side and a rechargeable Air Zound can off the other (used to frighten off threatening wildlife vs. a weapon).

Upvote 0
P

Penn Jennings

I got the Lowepro Classified 250 AW on Amazon recently for $99:

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Classified-250-AW-Black/dp/B001H33VW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327608373&sr=8-1
http://products.lowepro.com/product/Classified-250%20AW,2123.htm

I carry:

Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 135mm f/2.0 L
Canon 85mm f/1.8
Tamron 24-70mm
Tamron 70-300mm
Canon 580 Ex II
PocketWizard Flex TT5 (x2)
16' USB Cable
15 MacBook Pro
12 Extra AA batteries and smal misc gear.

Overal it does well. The padding is decent. The camera seems well protected. The laptop protection could be a little better. However, the center of the bag is the most protected area and camera goes there. Sooo, the laptop is placed on the side against your body, which would seem to be the next best area.
Minolta Light Meter IV.

I tried the Lowepro DSLR Video Fastpack 350 AW but I just keep thinking that one day my 5D2 and 135L would slide out of the side.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/DSLR-Video-Fastpack-350-AW,2283,16.htm

Upvote 0
depends what you are using the kit for.... I've got a ton of bags travel i'd use my think tank shape shifter, wedding I'd use a double sunsnipper type strap with a think tank retrospective, model shoots out doors a lowpro magnum 400 and if traveling on assignment my lowpro wheely suitcase...

what i have noticed is that i try and carry less and less on each job... ok, the back up kit is always on hand, but what i am actually physically carrying is reduced to the essentials.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.