Neuro has totally been holding out on us

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
neuroanatomist said:
Random Orbits said:
neuroanatomist said:
Random Orbits said:
It was also nice seeing some pictures from Neuro's reviews of my alma mater. Haven't been back in years, although we are considering taking the kids up to Boston this summer for the Freedom Trail.

Spoiler alert: you may see a few more in upcoming reviews, MIT is a short walk from where I work. I'm definitely going to work The Alchemist into one.

Ps. Besides the obvious ones in the M11-22 review (Stata and Simmons), did you spot all three campus shots in the M28 Macro review? Well, one is rather unfair – the 'side of a building' mentioned in background blur example is the Guggenheim Lab Building. But there are two others. :)

Oh, that's sad... Guggenheim Lab Building is building 33?! Never used the name just the building number, and to think I spent my undergrad and grad (for masters) there for Course 16. I might have remembered the name of the building years ago...

The other two shots. The breezeway to the MIT chapel, where my wife and I were married. The other is from the open space near the Stata center/food truck area (or used to be). Building in the back is Whitaker?

Correct across the board. :D

Congrats Neuro!

Scott

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
AlanF said:
Interesting. I have been arguing for years that the over-pressurised current school system with too frequent examinations discriminates against lazy smart pupils who are likely to be creative.

I don’t think it serves much of anybody well, except maybe companies that produce materials for schools on how to teach to the test.

When you look at some countries that do a better job, such as Finland, they seem to do the opposite.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I once messed with FoCal to measure the Quality of Fit (QoF, a rough measure of edge sharpness) of some EF-M lenses, and it might be worth mentioning them here because they bear out Neuro's enthusiasm for these lenses.

I shot with the M5 a series of 7 charts pasted equidistant across the field of view from extreme left to extreme right and looked at 2 copies of the 11-22mm and one 15-45mm, wide open, and the 22mm at f/2.8 and f/4.

Top, 1 copy of the 11-22mm at 22mm was much more consistent across the frame, showing that copy variation can make a significant difference.

Middle, both copies were very consistent across the whole frame at 11mm.

Bottom, the 11-22mm, 15-45 and 22mm were all very even across the frame at ~22mm, with the 22mm at f/4 just the best.

As those familiar with FoCal QoF scores, these values of around 2000 are very good. The 15-45 is sometimes looked down upon because of its plastic mount, but optically it is very decent. Optical limits (previously photozone.de) has MTFs for the 15-45 and 11-22, which show that they are rather good.

Attachments

• QoF11-22OvsN22mm.jpg
    QoF11-22OvsN22mm.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 401
  • QoF11-22OvsN11mm.jpg
    QoF11-22OvsN11mm.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 405
  • QoF22mmAll.jpg
    QoF22mmAll.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 398
Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
AlanF said:
Interesting. I have been arguing for years that the over-pressurised current school system with too frequent examinations discriminates against lazy smart pupils who are likely to be creative.

As an American, I tend to see these highly standardized, hive mind, completely different ways to educate children in other countries with two different perspectives:

1) Wow, that's... wow. Weird as hell. But have you seen their test scores?!

2) In our own broken-as-hell education system in which two kids in the same town get completely different educations, the US has a comical range to its output -- there is a huge spread in its ability to foster to adulthood people with wildly different perspectives and viewpoints. Upside: we are legion from an innovation perspective. Downside: we can't agree on anything and we fight amongst ourselves all the time.

But we're a little OT here.

Bad Neuro. Pulldowns. Grumble grumble. ;)

- A

One of the hypotheses is that U.S. schools inadvertently produce students who are skeptical of authority. The majority are simply undereducated because they don't value what the teachers say. Some, however, learn to verify what they're taught, and become better students later. Still fewer learn to verify what they, themselves, believe, and have a chance to innovate. The key is not to accept, at face value, what the loudest voice tells you, even if the loudest voice is in your own head.

Upvote 0
To go back to the original question, sorta ... Why is it odd that a person/member on this site writes for some other venue? Just curious, as it seems this is simply a volunteer forum for discussing ideas and gaining/offering advice .... and not a locked down, do no share or write elsewhere -- but I'm probably unaware of part of this post.

But, then again, I might has missed the brunt of the OP, because I don't know many of you on here except when we're here chatting. Color me <puzzled> ???

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
monkey44 said:
To go back to the original question, sorta ... Why is it odd that a person/member on this site writes for some other venue? Just curious, as it seems this is simply a volunteer forum for discussing ideas and gaining/offering advice .... and not a locked down, do no share or write elsewhere -- but I'm probably unaware of part of this post.

But, then again, I might has missed the brunt of the OP, because I don't know many of you on here except when we're here chatting. Color me <puzzled> ???

Actually, most of the long timers around here were cognizant of Neuro's literary dalliances at TDP. Nothing odd about it. It just never showed up on any of ahsanford's charts or graphs, so he was caught a bit unawares :)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
monkey44 said:

Nothing odd, disloyal or anything of that sort -- sorry for the confusion.

It's more about the fact that I visit that site all the time, but due to some decisions with that website's navigation, I never knew an EF-M lens page (and Neuro's fine work) even existed. It was just an interesting nexus of a person I know and I website I frequent.

The rest is just me ribbing a long-time CR forum poster about it. ;D

- A

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It’s actually a breach of netiquette to reveal personal details about a blogger or out their real name without their permission. Neuro has made no attempt to hide his identity, and so it doesn’t matter much here, but nevertheless CR members don’t gossip. In contrast, there was a member called Dilbert, often the butt of Neuro as he was the anti-Canon troll, who was outed. He then removed every single one of his thousands of posts and the outer was reprimanded by the mods, I believe.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
AlanF said:
It’s actually a breach of netiquette to reveal personal details about a blogger or out their real name without their permission. Neuro has made no attempt to hide his identity, and so it doesn’t matter much here, but nevertheless CR members don’t gossip. In contrast, there was a member called Dilbert, often the butt of Neuro as he was the anti-Canon troll, who was outed. He then removed every single one of his thousands of posts and the outer was reprimanded by the mods, I believe.

Yeah, I actually double-clutched before posting instead of just sending him an IM here through CR. But the fact that he put his CR avatar next to his name toggled me over from 'ask permission' to 'beg forgiveness'.

And I also wanted to shed some light on his work. Others who use TDP's pulldown menu to navigate might never find that part of the site. (Though you'd surely see it if TDP is in your newsreader.)

- A

Upvote 0
Guess I misunderstood the post ... I sorta read it as you can't blog or post about photos or photography anywhere else, or maybe not link to any website. Which seems kinda odd, as several on here are writers (myself included, as some of you know) and am just building a new website that will contain travel destinations, photo tips and advice for "regular everyday families, etc" ... and was going to post a link here in case anyone wants to peek at it. But, now am not sure that's OK, altho I do see some references to the pros here, particularly in the copyright ...

I also know some of you rib and joke with others - which is great, the comradery - but one can't always tell if it's joking or getting in someone's face ... I guess that's why emoticons emerged in our tech worlds. ;D 8) :p

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ahsanford said:
neuroanatomist said:
ahsanford said:
...his CR avatar...

That's actually a selfie. With a $1.5MM camera. :)

Pretty low res. I'm assuming that didn't come from one of the new 7 Tesla MRIs.

Why are you shooting on such budget gear, dude? ;D

Cut me some slack – when that was taken, the state-of-the-art Canon dSLR was the EOS (Kodak) DCS 1.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
Cut me some slack – when that was taken, the state-of-the-art Canon dSLR was the EOS (Kodak) DCS 1.

They just need to make MRI less noisy and claustrophobic. My wife needs them biannually and I have no idea how she does it -- simultaneously loud and uncomfortable.

That said, I'm glad we live when we do. MRI is a wonderful diagnostic tool.

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ahsanford said:
They just need to make MRI less noisy and claustrophobic. My wife needs them biannually and I have no idea how she does it -- simultaneously loud and uncomfortable.

There are open MRIs that can work for some imaging procedures.

The main coil of an MRI is the source of the loud noise, and it's a solid state device so in the AvTvM Universe, MRIs are silent. Not that I'd recommend sending your wife there for imaging, or anyone there for anything, really.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
There are open MRIs that can work for some imaging procedures.

The main coil of an MRI is the source of the loud noise, and it's a solid state device so in the AvTvM Universe, MRIs are silent. Not that I'd recommend sending your wife there for imaging, or anyone there for anything, really.

No such for luck for us. Must be closed for my wife's specific medical needs. :-[

(I'm more worrying for her by proxy. She's an absolute soldier in there.)

- A

Upvote 0