Never let it be said...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 91053

I have tried all my 9 Canon AF lenses (ranging from 17 to 800mm) and ended up with micro adjustment at or very near 0 on my1D4, they also focus just fine on my other EOS cameras (5Dc, EOS3, EOS 33V and EOS 50E) am I just lucky?
I am not questioning that micro AF adjustment is not a great confidence builder, just saying that I have not found a use for it - except for confidence building!

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Chauncy,
I recently posted about my EF-S 17-85 being so far out at 17 that I ran out of adjustment and in the 0-1 AFMA range from 50-85 so I would say you could be in the lucky territory or using high end glass. All AFMA has done for me is make me check all previous images for the lens and be disappointed that I didn't notice earlier that the lens was off. I do still have some keepers from it but only once it was stopped down some! I am now looking for a replacement on a budget, cant see that working out too well either. :'(

Cheers Graham.

Upvote 0
johnf3f said:
I have tried all my 9 Canon AF lenses (ranging from 17 to 800mm) and ended up with micro adjustment at or very near 0 on my1D4, they also focus just fine on my other EOS cameras (5Dc, EOS3, EOS 33V and EOS 50E) am I just lucky?
I am not questioning that micro AF adjustment is not a great confidence builder, just saying that I have not found a use for it - except for confidence building!

If you were using a yard stick and duck tape like the OP then yes you are lucky.

My super telephotos on my 1D IV were dead on. The only ones I had problems with were the zooms. With my experience with 7D's, 5D's and 1D models I think Canon takes more time in getting the 1D bodies and the expensive lenses right.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
privatebydesign said:
I am sorry I don't get the point of your post. It seems images one and three are horrifically over sharpened and image two doesn't appear to have anything sharp in it at all. Are these before and after micro AF? Why so much sharpening?

My first thought was: how much is the image cropped? Followed by what lens? What camera? How was the image processed and at what settings? What iso? What shutter speed? And why no before and after pictures?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

takesome1 said:
johnf3f said:

If you were using a yard stick and duck tape like the OP then yes you are lucky.

My super telephotos on my 1D IV were dead on. The only ones I had problems with were the zooms. With my experience with 7D's, 5D's and 1D models I think Canon takes more time in getting the 1D bodies and the expensive lenses right.

I wasn't using a yardstick I was using AF targets angled at 45 degrees to asses where the lens was focusing. I must admit that I haven't tried out my Canon 800mm F5.6 as the depth of field at 6 or 7 meters is so shallow, wide open, that any error would be immediately apparent as the depth of field is almost zero! I simply tried it on some, very co-operative, Kingfishers - eye in focus + very little else so it must be spot on (according to DOF Master it is only 1 to 2mm at these ranges and aperture). My previous long lens (a 600 F4 L IS Mk1) was also spot on on test targets.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
Lichtgestalt said:
sorry but what is this ugly structure?

sharpening artifacts? but then... there should be ugly halos also?

I assumed some sort of noise reduction. Whatever the cause, I really don't care for it. :eek:

Easy to do with lightroom....just take a slightly out of focus picture, heavily crop it, move all the sharpening and noise reduction sliders to 100% and you can change the before picture into the after picture....

Chauncy.... I'm just kidding... but it does look like your images are over-sharpened.... Could you post before and after and tell us how you processed them? Post processing is an art and you could get some great tips....

Attachments

• turtleBefore.jpg
    turtleBefore.jpg
    486.3 KB · Views: 1,526
  • turtleAfter.jpg
    turtleAfter.jpg
    954.1 KB · Views: 1,482
Upvote 0

Richard8971

"There is no spoon" - Neo
Oct 4, 2011
Tucson, AZ
www.Oldpueblophotos.com
I have found that micro adjustments are handy. My EF 100mm macro is perfect at 0, while my EF 70-300L is +3. It puts the focus point exactly where I want it.

You have to figure that Canon builds and adjusts the specs of each camera and lens to a reasonable +/- tolerance. I can't imagine that they have the time to tune each and every camera body and lens to a perfect 0. Microadjusting is simply a way of fine tuning your equipment to suit your specific needs.

D

Upvote 0
johnf3f said:
I wasn't using a yardstick I was using AF targets angled at 45 degrees to asses where the lens was focusing. I must admit that I haven't tried out my Canon 800mm F5.6 as the depth of field at 6 or 7 meters is so shallow, wide open, that any error would be immediately apparent as the depth of field is almost zero! I simply tried it on some, very co-operative, Kingfishers - eye in focus + very little else so it must be spot on (according to DOF Master it is only 1 to 2mm at these ranges and aperture). My previous long lens (a 600 F4 L IS Mk1) was also spot on on test targets.

I think I might be missing something in the AFMA process. So you you focus on some asses with AF targets nearby at a 45 degree angle? :eek:

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 91053

Sporgon said:
I thought it was inaccurate to have a target at 45* and it should always be a perpendicular, flat target, otherwise you can't be sure where the AF is picking up on the 'slope'.

I have not found this to be an issue, as the focus point is very clear and the idea of the slope (and distance scale) is to show up any error. However, if it concerns you, then there are targets available that utilise a vertical target combined with a 45 degree distance scale.

Upvote 0
takesome1 said:
johnf3f said:

;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.