New 50mm lens coming alongside a high end mirrorless camera [CR1]

Apr 23, 2018
Exactly, this point seems to be getting lost
what for f/1.0 or 0.95? i'd rather have a decent, much less expensive f/ 1.4 and shoot at ISO 400 rather than ISO 100 if need be. "more than enough" subject isolation and "creamy bokeh" can also be had at f/1.4.

really dont understand that quest for ultra-fast ultra- fat and ultra-expensive glass. waste of engineering resources. Canon shall focus on decent, compact, new native mount mirrorfree lenses. :)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 380306

Obviously the D500 and D850 as newer than their Canon counterparts may be better.

But what you are saying borderlines to trolling (not trolling but close).
1. My 5DIV does not produce soft images (checked at 100%). I believe it strikes a very nice balance of sharp and as noise free as possible photos.
2. My 5DsR is excellent for birding. In fact I view some photos at 100% (= pixel peeping) since many times I am Focal Length limited and the result is excellent ( much better than 7D2 which has the same pixel pitch - True the 7D2 lacks behind).

It may only be a perception about Canon but it seems they lack innovation, I posted before about the poor show from 5d4 vs the d850 and then the 6d2 well there are too many video's showing the issues many have with that camera for it not to be a problem. While I agree these maybe pushing the issues it gets worst now with Nikon moving forward with 2 new Cameras + a great lens line up to follow, and all received with so much positivity. We can't help wanting to spend our money on gear but with nothing worth while from Canon not even a press statement I can see why it's disappointing for many. A foot note here I'm still seeing amazing images from a pro tog who shoots only on the Canon 5dmk2, so yes I'm not caught up in hype but totally see the problem for us cash rich togs...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
what for f/1.0 or 0.95? i'd rather have a decent, much less expensive f/ 1.4 and shoot at ISO 400 rather than ISO 100 if need be. "more than enough" subject isolation and "creamy bokeh" can also be had at f/1.4.

really dont understand that quest for ultra-fast ultra- fat and ultra-expensive glass. waste of engineering resources. Canon shall focus on decent, compact, new native mount mirrorfree lenses. :)

what's that got to do with AF
I agree about the 1.4 , little bro to the 85L and I'd be sorted

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
All we needed was Nikon to show this off...

...and NOW here come the 50 primes from Canon.

To Canon: pics or it's still not happening. :rolleyes:

- A
That Nikon 58mm lens is huuuuuuuuuge and will apparently cost around $6000. Who exactly is this lens aimed at? It's far too big for a walkaround lens and far too expensive for it's limited use. All for the purpose of showing off f0.95 o_O - far to shallow to be practical for real world use imho. Besides if the bokeh and sharpness at f0.95 don't blow the Otus lenses out of the water...

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
I think Nikon's Z cameras have definitely missed out on a few key features, especially compared to Sony's latest A7 models. No eye AF, no flip screen for videographers (could have got one up on Sony there), only ONE card slot plus the awful battery life (needs real world testing for the battery though). Lets hope Canon address some of these issues because, compared to Sony, they won't have the lenses at launch to compete with where Sony are now and could easily put themselves ahead of Nikon. This is Canon though so I prey they break from tradition and don't release something mediocre like they've been doing with their cameras of late.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I respectfully don't understand this community obsession with 50mm (FF). It's too short for close portraits without distortion, and it's either too narrow or too wide. The pictures that I see with it usually appear cropped or cramped. I know Cartier-Bresson used one, but I seriously believe that if he had a 40 or 35, his pictures would have been even better.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
It may only be a perception about Canon but it seems they lack innovation, I posted before about the poor show from 5d4 vs the d850 and then the 6d2 well there are too many video's showing the issues many have with that camera for it not to be a problem. While I agree these maybe pushing the issues it gets worst now with Nikon moving forward with 2 new Cameras + a great lens line up to follow, and all received with so much positivity. We can't help wanting to spend our money on gear but with nothing worth while from Canon not even a press statement I can see why it's disappointing for many. A foot note here I'm still seeing amazing images from a pro tog who shoots only on the Canon 5dmk2, so yes I'm not caught up in hype but totally see the problem for us cash rich togs...
5DIV or 6D2 vs. D850 is plain stupid. Only a complete idiot would compare them. To say that D850 beats 5DsR I would accept it. But then 5DsR does its job wonderfully for me (shooting birds). So I just wait for 5DsR MkII which - true - it would have to compete with D850.

The only Nikon that can be compared with 5DIV is the D750 and it does not win! But then Nikon will introduce D760 which will. And then Canon 5DV and so on. These comparisons are pointless.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I respectfully don't understand this community obsession with 50mm (FF). It's too short for close portraits without distortion, and it's either too narrow or too wide. The pictures that I see with it usually appear cropped or cramped. I know Cartier-Bresson used one, but I seriously believe that if he had a 40 or 35, his pictures would have been even better.
I'm with you. I have a 50mm f/1.4 I got to use mostly for portraits with my T3i, where it gives a field of view like 80mm on FF, and thus an appropriate subject distance for a portrait. I got my 6D2 almost a year ago, and I've never put this lens on that camera. For now at least, I use the 100mm macro for occasional portraits, and the kit 24–105mm for general purpose shooting, including in the 50ish range. If I find my old Spiratone fisheye converter, I might try it on the 50mm lens, where I think the thread diameter should be right. Otherwise, no situation comes to mind for me to have it on the 6D2.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 380306

5DIV or 6D2 vs. D850 is plain stupid. Only a complete idiot would compare them. To say that D850 beats 5DsR I would accept it. But then 5DsR does its job wonderfully for me (shooting birds). So I just wait for 5DsR MkII which - true - it would have to compete with D850.

The only Nikon that can be compared with 5DIV is the D750 and it does not win! But then Nikon will introduce D760 which will. And then Canon 5DV and so on. These comparisons are pointless.

First off I never compared the 6d2 to anything... As for the d850 it is well document as a comparison to the 5d4 all over the net and not just in price many reviewers rightly or wrongly can be found comparing these two cameras directly, yes it is so often seen that way so my post was about the perception of Canon and it's lack innovation!

And using the term 'idiot' is behavior often found from the followers of cults(canon cults in this case maybe!)

Have a nice day :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I got tired of waiting for Canon to get off their laurels with something new and exciting so I jumped ship to Nikon and have never looked back. I have the D500, D850 and preordered the Z7. I have mostly Nikon glass and I have to say, my images have never been sharper! After selling all my Canon gear, I bought all my Nikon gear and still had money left over! The only thing I detest about the Z7 is the fact that it only has one -yes I did say one!- XQD slot and no SD slot. One card in a pro camera? I thought maybe some Canon techs must have snuck over to Nikon when I heard this. I was all excited when the 5D MKIV came out but was very disappointed with the image quality I was getting and the lack of creativity for a new model. So many things left out that almost every other camera on the market had. I love my D850. It totally rocks! But why Nikon would be foolish enough to only put 1 memory card slot in this body is a big mystery. Maybe Canon will finally do something amazing and thrill everyone but I seriously doubt it!

Maybe I shouldn't feed you, but - care to show us an image you took with your D850 that you couldn't have got with a 5D4?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
First off I never compared the 6d2 to anything... As for the d850 it is well document as a comparison to the 5d4 all over the net and not just in price many reviewers rightly or wrongly can be found comparing these two cameras directly, yes it is so often seen that way so my post was about the perception of Canon and it's lack innovation!

And using the term 'idiot' is behavior often found from the followers of cults(canon cults in this case maybe!)

Have a nice day :)
And you say that even if some reviewers are maybe comparing them wrongly it is a mistake to call them idiots? Interesting! And otherwise I am a Canon cult follower ? Double interesting! Sorry but I have the right to my opinion to think of them as idiots (or Nikon cult followers? Just joking!). That of course does not change the fact that D850 is better than 5DsR. And by the way you wrongly took it personally I wasn't referring to you but to the ones making the specific comparison.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm with you. I have a 50mm f/1.4 I got to use mostly for portraits with my T3i, where it gives a field of view like 80mm on FF, and thus an appropriate subject distance for a portrait. I got my 6D2 almost a year ago, and I've never put this lens on that camera. For now at least, I use the 100mm macro for occasional portraits, and the kit 24–105mm for general purpose shooting, including in the 50ish range. If I find my old Spiratone fisheye converter, I might try it on the 50mm lens, where I think the thread diameter should be right. Otherwise, no situation comes to mind for me to have it on the 6D2.

If you ever have the chance to get a 2nd hand 85mm 1.2, go for it. It's magic. Sure, the 85 1.4 is a better lens in many respects, but the 1.2 is, well, magic.

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012

Clearly a 50mm lens is not for you.

On the other hand, I find my Zeiss 50mm f1.4 to be just about the perfect lens for me.

If it had AF it WOULD be my ideal lens. I look forward to the FF-ML, since that would minimize even the MF limitation.

But then, I learned photography on a 35mm film camera with a 50mm lens, so that is what my brain is most closely calibrated to.

Obviously your experience it different. Did you learn photography on a moderately wide lens?

Upvote 0