New 50mm lens coming alongside a high end mirrorless camera [CR1]

I got tired of waiting for Canon to get off their laurels with something new and exciting so I jumped ship to Nikon and have never looked back. I have the D500, D850 and preordered the Z7. I have mostly Nikon glass and I have to say, my images have never been sharper! After selling all my Canon gear, I bought all my Nikon gear and still had money left over! The only thing I detest about the Z7 is the fact that it only has one -yes I did say one!- XQD slot and no SD slot. One card in a pro camera? I thought maybe some Canon techs must have snuck over to Nikon when I heard this. I was all excited when the 5D MKIV came out but was very disappointed with the image quality I was getting and the lack of creativity for a new model. So many things left out that almost every other camera on the market had. I love my D850. It totally rocks! But why Nikon would be foolish enough to only put 1 memory card slot in this body is a big mystery. Maybe Canon will finally do something amazing and thrill everyone but I seriously doubt it!

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
why is the NOCT 58mm 0.95 vs 50mm 0.95? seems an odd size. and why no mention of a canon equiv :)

The F0.95 has to be for bragging rights to say that it is faster than F1.0, and as for 58mm, I don't know.... but in the good old days of film I had a 55mm Nikon prime, perhaps they are not as stuck on round numbers as Canon, who if they made the same lens would have rounded it off to 60mm :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
The F0.95 has to be for bragging rights to say that it is faster than F1.0, and as for 58mm, I don't know.... but in the good old days of film I had a 55mm Nikon prime, perhaps they are not as stuck on round numbers as Canon, who if they made the same lens would have rounded it off to 60mm :)
I'm pretty sure my Canon f/1.2 lens was 55mm back in film days.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Cash in hand to give Canon for a FF large 5D+grip or IDX size mirror-less with IBIS w/EF mount.

Can anyone give me an explanation of the REAL advantage of having the Lens rear element closer to the sensor?
Any chance canon could make it so the sensor plane could automatically (or with lever) move back for legacy EF glass?

I can't speak to IQ / light path / distortion, etc. but even if you don't care about shaving an inch off of your camera body, a shorter flange distance unlocks the ability to adapt other lens mounts, possibly screw around with speedboosters, etc.

- A

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I got tired of waiting for Canon to get off their laurels with something new and exciting so I jumped ship to Nikon and have never looked back. I have the D500, D850 and preordered the Z7. I have mostly Nikon glass and I have to say, my images have never been sharper! After selling all my Canon gear, I bought all my Nikon gear and still had money left over! The only thing I detest about the Z7 is the fact that it only has one -yes I did say one!- XQD slot and no SD slot. One card in a pro camera? I thought maybe some Canon techs must have snuck over to Nikon when I heard this. I was all excited when the 5D MKIV came out but was very disappointed with the image quality I was getting and the lack of creativity for a new model. So many things left out that almost every other camera on the market had. I love my D850. It totally rocks! But why Nikon would be foolish enough to only put 1 memory card slot in this body is a big mystery. Maybe Canon will finally do something amazing and thrill everyone but I seriously doubt it!
Obviously the D500 and D850 as newer than their Canon counterparts may be better.

But what you are saying borderlines to trolling (not trolling but close).
1. My 5DIV does not produce soft images (checked at 100%). I believe it strikes a very nice balance of sharp and as noise free as possible photos.
2. My 5DsR is excellent for birding. In fact I view some photos at 100% (= pixel peeping) since many times I am Focal Length limited and the result is excellent ( much better than 7D2 which has the same pixel pitch - True the 7D2 lacks behind).

Upvote 0
If you ever get your hands on a vintage Canon 1.8/50mm rangefinder lens you'll be surprised how small it is. It's dimensions are roughly comparable with a film cartridge - beautifully small, light and quite sharp.
I had one of those. I still have a Canon 50mm 1.4 EF. My smallest 50mm is my collapsible 50mm Leica Summicron. The 45mm Tammy's IQ blows them all away. (and my 30mm Sigma, for my apsc Sony, roughly 45mm equiv. is really good, but i think the barrel is as long as my 50mm 1.4 :) They put a lot of elements in the new designs. I doubt if Canon will come out with a new 50 that only competes with old designs. Unless they have found some magic to reduce the size.

Upvote 0
Rumor is only about EF mount mirrorless? Seems to miss the point. Nikon's large diameter Z mount, 18mm backspace, with F adapter, sure looks like a straightforward solution on their part. Nice Fuji-style lens roadmap for the new Nikon Z lenses, too. Not trolling for Nikon, switched to Canon years ago. But also recently sold all almost all my EF stuff and am using an M5 (and a few adapted EF lenses) while awaiting developments. Said developments to hopefully include a new Canon FF mirrorless mount camera and lens lineup.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
I'm not the ringer on this either, but I believe (again) we're talking about two different things:
  • I thought Canon's old eye-related AF with film cameras was using the photographer's eye to set the focus point in the frame. That's dead and buried.

• The Eye AF everyone is raving about is Sony's ability to deliberately nail AF on the subject's eyes.
Two very different things!

- A

For what it's worth, I believe the old Canon eye-related AF system was called eye controlled focus.
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/6531126959/looking-back-canons-eye-controlled-focus

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Nah, it's logical in the way they think: Nikon never released a such modern 1.4/50mm, so they didn't see any need to reply to that.

Nikon has released the AF-S 58mm f/1.4G, Sigma released the 50mm f/1.4 HSM Art, Zeiss released the Otus 55mm f/1.4, etc.

Canon is the only major manufacturer without a modern 50mm f/1.4 lens.

Canon has a modern 85mm f/1.4L IS USM - last to join the party, but with IS. Canon has also added IS to 24mm, 28mm, and 35mm lenses.

Which raises the question why Canon has neither a modern 50mm f/1.4 lens, nor a 50mm lens with IS.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
I'm not necessarily reading this as a mirrorless only must. Canon has shown a penchant for putting out an EF-M product to then roll out an EF-S equivalent:

EF-M 22mm pancake --> EF-S 24mm pancake
EF-M illuminated macro --> similar for EF-S

I could see a mirrorless only 50 f/1.4 coming out and then an EF version to follow.

- A

canon absolutely will need at least one new native 50mm prime lens if they bring a new "slim mount" (short flange focal distance) mirrorfree system.

if they (also) launch mirrorfree camera/s with EF mount snout up front, they don't have to bring a new 50mm lens. they could wait another 30 years for any 50mm lens update ...

my conclusion: if a new 50mm, then probably new mount mirrorfree. :)

Upvote 0