New Canon EOS R5 firmware may come sooner than previously announced

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Last month, Canon announced a lot of firmware updates across the EOS R and Cinema EOS line, with the Canon EOS R5 scheduled to receive its next firmware update on August 18, 2021.
I have been told a couple of times now that the new firmware may arrive before then. So keep an eye on the Canon support website and your inbox if it does drop sooner than originally planned.
I wouldn’t consider the next firmware release for the EOS R5 to be a major release going by what Canon has said about it.

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user
Feb 26, 2021
Please fix the Q button Canon. Every Canon camera I have ever owned worked exactly the same way in regards to the Q button. Press the Q button, immediately has access to and be able to modify mode specific settings. Worked the same on my 60D, 70D, 5D-MIII, and my 5D-MIV. No such love on the R5.

What's the point of having a Q (Quick) button that takes you to irrelevant settings?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Actually, support for the compact servo video lenses is pretty significant. It says that Canon clearly understands something that NONE of the major reviewers have picked up on and that is the very high quality of the APS-c 4k video from the R5. It would be nice if they also add full support for the EF-R focal reducer adapter.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Actually, support for the compact servo video lenses is pretty significant. It says that Canon clearly understands something that NONE of the major reviewers have picked up on and that is the very high quality of the APS-c 4k video from the R5. It would be nice if they also add full support for the EF-R focal reducer adapter.
crop mode overheats pretty fast though in my experience - I avoid it therefore and cant see the R5 in a professionale production environment with servo lenses, if it overheats so quickly...
or is it another setting? Is your R5 overhating in crop mode as well?

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
Will this update include the code needed to make the R5 output full frame 8K to the Atomos Ninja 5+ (as promised months ago)?

Canon’s new EOS R5 firmware makes external full frame 8K ProRes RAW and 5K cropped ProRes RAW recording possible when connected to the Atomos Ninja V+ recorder and 5K cropped ProRes RAW recording with the Atomos Ninja V recorders, offering superb image quality from an affordable and compact camera system.

When combined with the EOS R5, the Atomos Ninja V+ is able to record 8K recording at 30 fps, unlocking new possibilities for filmmakers and videographers. These professional recording formats also allow the white balance and ISO to be seamlessly changed during processing4.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
Please bring dual card recording for video!

Alongside the availability of C-Log 3, these firmware upgrades add dual card recording to all three cameras. Users can now record the same video file - resolution, fps and codec - to both memory cards, ensuring that if one card is corrupted there is still a back-up of their footage2. The firmware update for the EOS-1D X Mark III and EOS R5 also adds support for the new industry standard CFexpress VPG400 cards, which guarantees a minimum write speed of 400 MB per second for more reliable filming. This is essential when shooting in 8K or recording RAW footage3.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
crop mode overheats pretty fast though in my experience - I avoid it therefore and cant see the R5 in a professionale production environment with servo lenses, if it overheats so quickly...
or is it another setting? Is your R5 overhating in crop mode as well?
I haven't seen any sign of overheating in crop mode (even at 60 FPS) and a couple of U-Tubers tested it an saw no overheating. Do you live in Barstow?

Upvote 0