New Canon EOS R5 firmware may come sooner than previously announced

chrisrmueller

CR Pro
Oct 23, 2018
crop mode overheats pretty fast though in my experience - I avoid it therefore and cant see the R5 in a professionale production environment with servo lenses, if it overheats so quickly...
or is it another setting? Is your R5 overhating in crop mode as well?
I shoot almost exclusively in the 4K APS-C mode and it has never overheated for me. The quality is amazing!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

TheSalvatore

Canon R5
Jun 18, 2020
Only in crop mode, if you resample it, it's not RAW anymore. Having said that, you might grep Prores 'RAW' via HDMI and an Atomos.
I don't get what you're saying.
What I'm trying to say is that since 8K Raw is possible, but how many of us would really make full use of 8K Raw? So might as well give us 4K Raw instead so at least we have more flexibility.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
I don't get what you're saying.
What I'm trying to say is that since 8K Raw is possible, but how many of us would really make full use of 8K Raw? So might as well give us 4K Raw instead so at least we have more flexibility.
What he is saying is that 4k HQ is internally downsampled from the 8k image and thus is processed and no longer a raw image. It would be feasible for the camera to provide 5k raw from the APS-c mode, and that would be pretty cool, but short of a crop on APS-c, there is no way to produce a 4k raw file. Raw means data directly from pixels.

Upvote 0
What I want after half year of using R5
1) Able to assign a button to turn on/off EVF. My R5 was always turned on by the proximity sensor accidently when I carrying it on my back or side.
2) A button to switch between tracking and fixed AF (preselected).
3) Able to set the shoulder LCD to positive. I wonder who really likes the ugly negtive LCD.
4) Improve the MF guide especially in macro photography.
5) Able to turn of SD card.Currently , camera will switch to SD card if I take out and put back CFExpress card (which is default) for card reader. This is very annoying.1st it does it without my knowledge, 2nd, it causes problem when you need speed.
6) Able to assign a button to turn ON OFF wifi / bluetooth like how a Canon Flash does.
7) ES fps settings

what I wish,
1) Better M/S performance under 1/400s, less shutter shock.
2) Better performance of R5 Images on DPP. DPP is way too slow.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
1) Able to assign a button to turn on/off EVF. My R5 was always turned on by the proximity sensor accidently when I carrying it on my back or side.
3) Able to set the shoulder LCD to positive. I wonder who really likes the ugly negtive LCD.
5) Able to turn of SD card.Currently , camera will switch to SD card if I take out and put back CFExpress card (which is default) for card reader. This is very annoying.1st it does it without my knowledge, 2nd, it causes problem when you need speed.
6) Able to assign a button to turn ON OFF wifi / bluetooth like how a Canon Flash does.
7) ES fps settings

what I wish,
Please reach out to Canon directly with your requests, some of which are quite popular. The more Canon hears the same requests, the more likely they are to prioritize them.

Upvote 0

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020
Please reach out to Canon directly with your requests, some of which are quite popular. The more Canon hears the same requests, the more likely they are to prioritize them.
I just recently did a survey for Canon regarding my R5 purchase and several questions had an option for camera rumor sites. So yes, I absolutely agree reaching out to Canon directly, but I would also say Canon is obviously taking some sort of note about these types of sites as they mention them in their surveys. It was also interesting the question regarding desired video features - removing the 30 minute limit was a choice, so they clearly recognize this is something a lot of us want.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
I just recently did a survey for Canon regarding my R5 purchase and several questions had an option for camera rumor sites. So yes, I absolutely agree reaching out to Canon directly, but I would also say Canon is obviously taking some sort of note about these types of sites as they mention them in their surveys. It was also interesting the question regarding desired video features - removing the 30 minute limit was a choice, so they clearly recognize this is something a lot of us want.
That is great to hear, thanks for sharing!
Can you elaborate regarding the types of questions on rumor sites or any others you found interesting.

Firmware update requests are neatly organized for Canon here, should they choose to take a look :

Upvote 0

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020
That is great to hear, thanks for sharing!
Can you elaborate regarding the types of questions on rumor sites or any others you found interesting.

Firmware update requests are neatly organized for Canon here, should they choose to take a look :
I don't recall the specific questions as it was a long survey but they mostly had to do with where I learned about the features of the R5 and what information I used in making my decision to purchase the camera. There had to have been at least 5 questions that had "camera rumor sites" as an option. Interestingly, some of the bigger YouTube channels were listed too (Tony Northrup, Fro Knows Photos, DPReview, etc.). There were also questions regarding what features I would like to see on the stills side and video side, which again it was interesting to see the options they listed. I sadly don't remember everything as I didn't have time to really digest the questions, but I do recall some of the things that are common "gripes" on this forum were listed as options. So while there's no guarantee any of it will come to fruition, it's encouraging to know it's made its rounds enough to become part of a Canon survey.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

emailfortom

Full time sports shooter
CR Pro
Mar 17, 2014
East Coast US
7) ES fps settings

what I wish,
OK... I am really sorry but my brain is not working properly today... M/S performance under 1/400s??

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Perhaps... that is the only thing I can think of, however have you noticed shake on your R5 at speeds sub 1/400th?
I have not, but I shoot in EFCS the most, followed by ES. I think typically camera shake is most visible around 1/100, but since I shoot moving animals and insects with long lenses I rarely take any photos at those shutter speeds.
I meant just to hazard a guess regarding the meaning of the acronym employed, not to suggest that I have this issue.

Upvote 0

SonicStudios

R5
CR Pro
Mar 4, 2020
Isn't it released yet? What happened to the 18:th of July?
I think it was originally scheduled for Aug 18, which is right around the corner. Its was RUMORED that the release would be earlier then that but I guess now it's a moot point. I noticed a firmware release for the c300, based on 8K, so i'm guessing if the R5 firmware update is going to address the new 8k recording capiblilites to the Ninja V+ that was released in June, than the c300 got precedence. The Ninja folks said they worked closely with Canon R5 R&D for two years so i would image it is now ready for prime time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
We seem to be running out of time for this firmware update to come earlier than August 18th, and rumors elsewhere are showing August 19th as the likely release day.

Upvote 0