New EOS M Camera Coming in February [CR3]

Tangent said:
I like the m5 without EVF idea. Still with the 3.5mm shutter release. And pretty much everything else the M5 has.

Just cheaper because of no evf, and a bit smaller.

I would prefer a M5 without EVF hump-idea: With a reduced display , maybe 16:9 format and side oriented control layout + an EVF on a slider which can be released if used! EVF as an option for bright light and video shooting - maybe a simpler (=lower resolution) variant of the current M5 EVF to keep it cheaper. Just an idea which would work for me.

I too like my original EOS M with the 2.0 22 (or sometimes some FD lenses which are still very good optically and superior mechanically!) for its compact size and really good overall IQ. The old EOS 5D with 2.8 100 macro + EOS M with 2.0 22 are a great combo: flexibility + very good IQ + compact + not too heavy.

Upvote 0
zsolexphoto said:
It would nice to have FW update for M5 with 4k video support.

Now it supports Full HD 50/60 frames the 4k with 25/30 frame would not be an issue from processor strength.
For this price must have (compared to Sony).

Full HD 50/60 fps is in Ultra HD / ~4k 12.5/15 fps - if you just calculate the pixel throughput/like to have the same per pixel quality.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
i am quite pleased Canon for once is not succumbing to the small minority of 4k-in-every-camera whiners. Just accept that EOS M line is a stills camera series and go buy real video cameras if you want 4k video.

I would actually welcome Canon EOS M models without any video out functionality. And without that totally useless separate "record video" button (yes, I know it is re-assignable, but still, I do not want any button in that location).

Upvote 0
josephandrews222 said:
neuroanatomist said:
HaroldC3 said:
You have to wonder if it will be an M5 without an EVF.

If sized like the other M models, I would be interested. Particularly if they go back to the EOS UI, but that's unlikely for an M3 or M10 successor.

Returned from Cocoa Beach/WDW pre-Christmas fun; the M2/11-22/270II trio works (and I mean really works) for stills...and for video the flash is replaced with a Rode Videomic Pro. The fireworks shows are simply spectacular; no tripod...no set-up. It just works.

The size of the body matters to me; I anxiously await this new release as I have yet to purchase the M3 or the M5 (but am now considering the refurb M3 offered by Canon).

There is a very real place for Canon's M offerings...

I use the M3 with 11-22 quite a lot. For video I add the Rode videomicro, which is not bad at all and much smaller than the VideoMic Pro (which I use on the 5D3).
Little known fact about the M3 (and other M's) ... mic input provides plug-in power, and works very well with some Lavalier mics to give very good audio for VLogs, even in a noisy environment. In fact the M3 with it's flip up screen, mic input with plug-in power, and lenses like the 11-22 (IS) and the 22 f/2 (Low light and semi-shallow DOF) is one of the best, and cheapest, VLogging cameras available right now.

Upvote 0
zsolexphoto said:
It would nice to have FW update for M5 with 4k video support.

Now it supports Full HD 50/60 frames the 4k with 25/30 frame would not be an issue from processor strength.
For this price must have (compared to Sony).

If by some miracle Canon enabled 4k via firmware, they'd probably limit recording length to something like 5 minutes due to heat.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
AvTvM said:
Exactly my expectation. M11, but called EOS M20. M3 sensor, without DPAF. No Viewfinder. Maybe connector for external EVF-DC1. Maybe with tilt LCD. Defintiely NO EOS firmware and UI.

You're absolutely right, M20 would be a much more likely name.

I think other than having the M3 sensor it's likely to be almost identical externally to the M10. So probably no hotshoe at all.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2011
Bob Howland said:
Are there any more rumors about an upscale 15-85 f/3.5-5.6 kit lens?

The 15-85 EF-S is my favorite lens for my SL1. I have the original M and would be tempted by the M5 if it came down in price a little. Something like a 15-85 would be the perfect "one for everything" lens for me and I would get the M5 to make the perfect combo. The 5DIII is just too much to lug around...

Upvote 0

Crosswind

The bigger your Canon, the smaller your Cannon :)
Feb 2, 2015
Austria
Back a few months I had ordered the M10 and M3 on amazon. I almost kept the M3 but didn't do so - mainly because the flip screen on it felt a lot more vulnerable and weaker than the M10's one.

So I kept the M10 which has a more solid feeling flippy screen. And I do not regret it! The M10 also felt a bit "quicker" to operate, even if it has much less physical controls and dials than the M3. I guess it's just a thing to get used to on the M3. There was no real issue with the M3 except for its poorly made flippy screen. Even the battery life is pretty OK, much better than expected (for both cameras). I had a few cameras in the past with tilting and fully articulating screens, but I've never seen such a crap like the M3's one. I was a bit disappointed.

I do use my M10 as a backup/travel camera and only in combination with my EF mount adapter as I don't have any native EF-M lenses. Focus speed (in most cases) is good enough for me as my subjects are mostly static and less dynamic (I love landscapes). You can have professional grade image quality with the M10. It is not nearly as bad as some fools are crying here and there.

I don't know if I'd buy Canons next EOS-M as I'm very happy with the M10. Besides that, I definitely want a fullframe option with a tilting screen to replace my 6D (never thought I'd miss that feature so much), but Canon still has nothing in store. A fullframe EOS-M would do me a favor... or maybe the 6DII...

Canon may not be very innovative regarding DSLR/mirrorless bodies, but they have some pretty unique and special lenses to offer, which is much more important to me.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Canon Rumors said:
We’re told that Canon will announced a new EOS M camera in February, ahead of CP+ in Yokohama, Japan which starts on February 23, 2017.

I'm still curious on this. I would love a smaller "M3 Mark II" camera versus the larger, more expensive and unnecessary for me anyways M5. My articulating EVF rocks.

ie: DIGIC 7 and DPAF sensor and shove it into the smaller M3 camera body. Please.

Surprised we haven't heard much of anything if this is coming out in February.

PS .. why haven't we seen any G series styling yet in the M line. I really like the red accent in the Gx series compact cameras

Upvote 0

Crosswind

The bigger your Canon, the smaller your Cannon :)
Feb 2, 2015
Austria
rrcphoto said:
I'm still curious on this. I would love a smaller "M3 Mark II" camera versus the larger, more expensive and unnecessary for me anyways M5.

Me too, but I was very disappointed by the M3's tilting screen when I compared it to the M10.

As for the M20, I'd like to have the 80D/M5's 24MP sensor, not the M3's 24MP one. The 80D/M5 sensor has the same resolution, but is so much better at recovering shadows. Is this a possibility for the Mxx series, or will they continue to put lower end sensors in there?

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Crosswind said:
rrcphoto said:
I'm still curious on this. I would love a smaller "M3 Mark II" camera versus the larger, more expensive and unnecessary for me anyways M5.

Me too, but I was very disappointed by the M3's tilting screen when I compared it to the M10.

As for the M20, I'd like to have the 80D/M5's 24MP sensor, not the M3's 24MP one. The 80D/M5 sensor has the same resolution, but is so much better at recovering shadows. Is this a possibility for the Mxx series, or will they continue to put lower end sensors in there?

the problem with the M10's is that it doesn't tilt down, but it does allow a smaller profile.

I'd rather the 80D's sensor as well, but the M3's isnt' really that bad.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
be glad, if Canon gives M20 the M3 sensor rather than unvhanged M/M2/M10 sensor ... 18 MP one more time .... lol.

knowing Canon i see absolutely no chance for 80D/M5 DPAF sensor in M20. at the very best it will be M3 sensor ... with a lot of crippling and nerfing throughout rest of camera - e.g. most definitely powershot firmware/USer interface.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
AvTvM said:
be glad, if Canon gives M20 the M3 sensor rather than unvhanged M/M2/M10 sensor ... 18 MP one more time .... lol.

knowing Canon i see absolutely no chance for 80D/M5 DPAF sensor in M20. at the very best it will be M3 sensor ... with a lot of crippling and nerfing throughout rest of camera - e.g. most definitely powershot firmware/USer interface.

not necessarily. they did the same thing on the G7 to G5 series bodies, basically the same other than viewfinder.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
eosuser1234 said:
Saw this in a dream. M4= 4K recording, M5 without digital EVF crammed into eos m3 body. $650-$700 MSRP
Available in Camo for birders.

That is close to what I thought was going to happen, with the exception that I did not think 4K video would make it to the M line this soon. But I, hopefully, thought this rumor might be an M5 crammed into an M3 form factor. Basically an M5 with no built in EVF.

But, it is too soon for that. Canon will let the M5 have its day (year?). Also, up in the thread they mention this is coming in 2 colors. That screams M10 replacement.

So my best guess at this point is that we'll be getting an M3 crammed into an M10 form factor. Still should be a nice entry level camera.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
eosuser1234 said:
Saw this in a dream. M4= 4K recording, M5 without digital EVF crammed into eos m3 body. $650-$700 MSRP

not happening.

seriously .. canon cannot do 4K on anything other than the DIGIC DV's .. not even DIGIC 7 is doing 4K by the looks of it.

4K with a half decent bitrate/compression which would be necessary here is not coming to a canon camera soon

why? I don't know.. but it's most likely hardware.

the current MJPEG method isn't on the same video stream as the 1080p which is why it's not outputted to the HDMI, and also why it's not saved internally with different compression. the DIGIC simply reads the sensor 60 times a second and saves the JPEG.

also the M3 body is smaller than the 6300 which is a 4K coffee heater.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
docsmith said:
eosuser1234 said:

That is close to what I thought was going to happen, with the exception that I did not think 4K video would make it to the M line this soon. But I, hopefully, thought this rumor might be an M5 crammed into an M3 form factor. Basically an M5 with no built in EVF.

But, it is too soon for that. Canon will let the M5 have its day (year?). Also, up in the thread they mention this is coming in 2 colors. That screams M10 replacement.

the M3 came in two colors, the M10 came in three, the M2 came in like 5-6 of them I recall.

also they released the G5 soon after the G3 and the G7 ..

Upvote 0