New Extensive Firmware for the Canon EOS 7D? [CR1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2012
I have made a simple test using PS:

a JPG picture at 1920/1080 have 432 KB , 1280/720 have 272 KB , 640/480 124 KB.

So... the 7D dual digic 4 processors have the power to prosses 120 fps or more at 640/480 resolution.

I believe the capabilities of shooting slow motion video will move many Rebel and 60D users to the 7D. don't mention that will be a new feature in DSLR world.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
* fully customizable Auto ISO
* EV +/- correction also working in "M" mode
* 3, 5 or 7 shot bracketing - user selectable

Add to that the capability to work with some decent GPS logging tools (not only the overly expensive Canon one that was announced with the 5DIII) and I'd be very happy indeed.

Upvote 0
M

marcb

Some more evidence that a new 7D Firmware is coming soon:

*The EOS 5D Mark III and EOS 7D require a firmware upgrade to be compatible with the GPS Receiver GP-E2, which will be available soon.
†When the EOS 7D is used with the GP-E2 the following restrictions will apply: a) geotagging function will not work for movies while recording; b) geotagging features will not work for movies when using the Map Utility; c) electronic compass information and automatic time setting is not available; d) transmission via the hot shoe is not possible.

Source: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/gps_receivers/gps_receiver_gp_e2#ServiceAndSupport

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
I'd see the introduction of new firmware as an indication that Canon may be planing a new sensor for the 7D2, and needs to hold on for dear life until that can happen. Its also an indication (assuming true. its CR1 so far...) that Canon is still investing in that market position (premium 1.6x prosumer). I hope they blow socks off with 7D2, frankly, but the market window of opportunity (it seems to me) is shrinking -- 9-12 months remaining, at the max. Except for the 1Ds3, 7D is currently as old or older than any other body in Canon's entire DSLR lineup since the begining.

Actually I hope 7D2 is positioned as a pro-level 1.6x body

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
dlleno said:
I'd see the introduction of new firmware as an indication that Canon may be planing a new sensor for the 7D2, and needs to hold on for dear life until that can happen. Its also an indication (assuming true. its CR1 so far...) that Canon is still investing in that market position (premium 1.6x prosumer). I hope they blow socks off with 7D2, frankly, but the market window of opportunity (it seems to me) is shrinking -- 9-12 months remaining, at the max. Except for the 1Ds3, 7D is currently as old or older than any other body in Canon's entire DSLR lineup since the begining.

Actually I hope 7D2 is positioned as a pro-level 1.6x body

I'm also anxiously awaiting the next generation of 7DII, but just want to point out that the 7D is not as old as its competitor the Nikon D300S, and it is still a far better camera. I also just checked and it's still in the top 20 on Amazon's list as of this a.m. (And has been in the top 100 for 970 days -- which pretty much coincides with its entire life cycle)

So, while I'm anxious to see what the next generation brings, I'm not sure Canon will feel any competitive pressure to release a new model until Nikon makes a move as well. I'm still hoping for Photokina.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
unfocused said:
I'm also anxiously awaiting the next generation of 7DII, but just want to point out that the 7D is not as old as its competitor the Nikon D300S, and it is still a far better camera. I also just checked and it's still in the top 20 on Amazon's list as of this a.m. (And has been in the top 100 for 970 days -- which pretty much coincides with its entire life cycle)

So, while I'm anxious to see what the next generation brings, I'm not sure Canon will feel any competitive pressure to release a new model until Nikon makes a move as well. I'm still hoping for Photokina.

good point ; the competitive landscape is a far more important influence to the product lifecycle than Canon's own history . let the marketing games begin! no question that 7D is still very succesful, so maybe Canon feels that a little kick in the pants and they can ride this train even longer to better position them to compete with the next Nikon offering.

The picture you are suggesting implies that the next move is likely to be Nikon's and that the D300s could get a refresh sooner than does the 7D. this will be a good show to watch. I took a quick look at some Nikon rumors and discovered that anticipation is high for a D300s replacment perhaps with a new Sony 24mp APS-C sensor claiming crazy ISO performance. Given D800 evidence I'd say Sony is clearly on the sensor warpath and Canon better have something up their sleeve as well -- it appears that the stage may be set for a premium crop body showdown. front seat tickets please!

look what happend to 5D3 and D800 -- we could have a similar dual in the crop bodies, as we approach photokina time, and we will get to watch how the Marketing strategies work, i.e. whether we will see an announcment before (and intended to trump) photokina, or if we will wait for photokina itself to know.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
briansquibb said:
dlleno said:
Except for the 1Ds3, 7D is currently as old or older than any other body in Canon's entire DSLR lineup since the begining.

the 5DII is the oldest - I believe the 1DS3 is now discontinued

yes 5D2 is oldest but not by much (the difference is less than 15 percent). I'm just pointing out that if you consider the time elapsed between intro and update (regardless of how long the older body keeps selling or when it discontinues), 7D and 5D2 are about the same -- for all practical purposes without splitting hairs. yes, to be precise, give the 5D2 a few more months, but the "time elapsed between 5D2 intro and 5D3 intro" is fixed in history, and the 7D life is approaching that same figure with every passing month, and "in the same league" if you will, as regards the lifecycle.

1DS3 lasted longer than any body, at nearly 5 years. then comes 5D2/7D, and then all the rest have been updated more frequently

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

dlleno said:
briansquibb said:
dlleno said:
Except for the 1Ds3, 7D is currently as old or older than any other body in Canon's entire DSLR lineup since the begining.

the 5DII is the oldest - I believe the 1DS3 is now discontinued

yes 5D2 is oldest but not by much (the difference is less than 15 percent). I'm just pointing out that if you consider the time elapsed between intro and update (regardless of how long the older body keeps selling or when it discontinues), 7D and 5D2 are about the same -- for all practical purposes without splitting hairs. yes, to be precise, give the 5D2 a few more months, but the "time elapsed between 5D2 intro and 5D3 intro" is fixed in history, and the 7D life is approaching that same figure with every passing month, and "in the same league" if you will, as regards the lifecycle.

1DS3 lasted longer than any body, at nearly 5 years. then comes 5D2/7D, and then all the rest have been updated more frequently

The 5DII is still a current model so the 7D isn't catching up.

Not a big issue - just like to get the facts straight 8) 8) 8)

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
I think you and I are highlighting different metrics :D . Just to be clear: I am not calling out the time period during which a camera body is available for sale. I am calling the elapsed time between intro and update -- that time period for the 5D2 is fixed in history; it is defined by the time that elapsed between 5D2 intro date and 5D3 intro date, and that time period is approximately 3.5 years. It is with respect to this metric that the 7D is catching up, with every passing month.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

dlleno said:
I think you and I are highlighting different metrics :D . Just to be clear: I am not calling out the time period during which a camera body is available for sale. I am calling the elapsed time between intro and update -- that time period for the 5D2 is fixed in history; it is defined by the time that elapsed between 5D2 intro date and 5D3 intro date, and that time period is approximately 3.5 years. It is with respect to this metric that the 7D is catching up, with every passing month.

Yes I was thinking of the time that it was being sold ie not discontinued - the 40d was in that position for some time too

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.