New feature firmware coming to the EOS R5, EOS R6 and EOS-1D X Mark III in the next couple of weeks [CR3]

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
Why does Canon ignore stills photographers? We need at a minimum, 1) real time zebras for highlights. The histogram is useless. 2) Greater ability to customize buttons including the capability to button switch between ES/MS, crop/FF, etc. 3) Different rates for ES other than 20fps in servo (come on Canon 10 fps should be an easy addition - 1/2 the frame substitution.)
I have the button on the front of the camera set to switch between FF and crop. You could give that a shot, unless you need it tied to another function.

Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
It could be the lens problem. I have some canon lenses which can't keep up with the R5's H+ speed. You can check by attaching the lens and switch it on, then look at the left side of the screen to see if the H+ icon is blinking in green or white. Green = when the lens can match up the focus speed. Whereas, white tends to have slower af.
The RF glass I mentioned I'm using is all Green and suppose to support H+ frame rates

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
One really obvious thing to be fixed in R5 firmware is to allow different frame rates when in full ES mode. You already can specify 3 FPS rates if not in full ES mode, so why not keep those rates (highest/medium/low) at the very least when switching to full ES to go noise-free?

Also, (again), it'd be great to allow an "aperture bracketing" option. I'll keep mentioning it until they finally do it (one of these decades!).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
The R5 HMDI 2.0 port can't be changed but using compression (Cinema lite) may allow the port to be used for external recording. Depends on the compression level. Currently, 4k60 at 340Mbps is handled. 5x compression for 8kraw would be >500Mbps so probably not but 4k/120 could meet the spec
4K 120 and 8K 60 are theoretically the same size.
Outside of RAW, the data rates are after H.265 compression.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
The animal eye focus tracks well in the VF but 9 out 10 shots I pull up on the computer are out of focus. It would be nice to see this fixed.
You are going to have to face it: Either your camera isn't working properly, or your lens is having problems, or your technique is flawed.

To only get a 10% keeper rate from an R5 is a clear indication of a problem that has nothing to do with the proper functioning and operation of this camera, a camera so easy to use it feels like cheating for even marginally competent photographers.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
You are going to have to face it: Either your camera isn't working properly, or your lens is having problems, or your technique is flawed.

To only get a 10% keeper rate from an R5 is a clear indication of a problem that has nothing to do with the proper functioning and operation of this camera, a camera so easy to use it feels like cheating for even marginally competent photographers.
What possible technique would result in 9/10 failures?
This definitely is not a common enough problem to expect any firmware update.
I would contact Canon support.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA

For quite a while I questioned my technique and hesitated to post anything. That is why I've been online reading forums and watching YouTube videos to get better technique and understanding of how to better use the R5 as well as reading up on others experiencing the same issue.. After reading how others have encountered the same issue I'm starting to think my technique isn't the issue. It really sucks that the eye auto focus is always back focused or front focused from the eye. I've been practicing with my dogs for months, shooting everything from F1.8 to F4 at 1/1000th-1/1600th (ISO set to auto) only for most of the focus to end up on the nose or ears. I have usually had IBS on but recently turned this off. I'm going to give it another couple of weeks practicing with higher shutter (1/1600th-1/2000th) and IBS off before contacting Canon. I want to eliminate this being a 'technique issue' before sounding the alarm.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I am not sure about that.
They may have originaly the same amount of pixels that needs to be stored. But if we look at the way a compression work, its about 2 things:
- changes in the image
- changes in the image over time
So the temporal factor is in there as well, which is different. So probably a different way to calculate to content of all the P frames between the I-Frames...

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
For quite a while I questioned my technique and hesitated to post anything. That is why I've been online reading forums and watching YouTube videos to get better technique and understanding of how to better use the R5 as well as reading up on others experiencing the same issue.. After reading how others have encountered the same issue I'm starting to think my technique isn't the issue. It really sucks that the eye auto focus is always back focused or front focused from the eye. I've been practicing with my dogs for months, shooting everything from F1.8 to F4 at 1/1000th-1/1600th (ISO set to auto) only for most of the focus to end up on the nose or ears. I have usually had IBS on but recently turned this off. I'm going to give it another couple of weeks practicing with higher shutter (1/1600th-1/2000th) and IBS off before contacting Canon. I want to eliminate this being a 'technique issue' before sounding the alarm.
I didn't zero in on technique: I offered it as one of three logical troubleshooting points.

You are using Servo AF, right?

If this has been going on for months, in my opinion, Canon should be checking the camera. Only you know if your lens is ok, if it works on other bodies without this issue. Sending in a camera that isn't working is not "sounding the alarm," but a common sense solution!

Upvote 0
8k 60? Do you mean 8k30? if so, then the theoretical "raw" data rate would be the same.
Would 4k/120 be considered "raw" when it is line skipped (not cropped) mode?
Data rate after compression depends on many factors and would vary during the record period. Canon's explanation of Cinema Lite is a third to a fifth the file size pre-compression

Upvote 0

TheSalvatore

Canon R5
Jun 18, 2020
Yeah I'm really not sure either your R5 or lenses have issue. Both my R5 bodies work flawlessly even with 3rd party lenses like Sigma. AF might miss 1-2 shots only.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
I didn't zero in on technique: I offered it as one of three logical troubleshooting points.

You are using Servo AF, right?

If this has been going on for months, in my opinion, Canon should be checking the camera. Only you know if your lens is ok, if it works on other bodies without this issue. Sending in a camera that isn't working is not "sounding the alarm," but a common sense solution!
Which server AF case are you using of the 5 available? What kind of motion are you tracking? lateral? approaching? Is the focus priority release or focus? Have you modified other AF settings? Sometimes you need to tailor the settings for your shooting style/subject, as I learned when I transitioned from a 6D to a 1DXII. I don't believe there is a guide for the R AF system yet, but the 1DX I/II guides may provide a useful introduction to some of the setting in the R AF system.

Upvote 0