New feature firmware coming to the EOS R5, EOS R6 and EOS-1D X Mark III in the next couple of weeks [CR3]

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
I saw when they posted it and here are my 2 cents on the the 'flaws'...

SD Card Freeze: I almost wonder if this isn't user error. What she described isn't what people here have where they are shooting pictures and the camera locks up. She described how she puts a card in and the camera doesn't work right from that point on. It almost makes me wonder if she is ejecting while in use and it's corrupting the file system. Granted she could have an issue with cards or her camera.. but what she described is just odd... and if I were her, I would rule out cards being an issue by getting a new fast card. My only gripe on the cards is I would have preferred 2 cfx cards.

AF: Agree to some extent... when it's on, it's amazing... when not, you fall back to other means of tracking. But feel this is somewhat par for the course for any camera.

Battery Life: This is a meh imo. Power requirements are what they are, and there is always a balance between runtime, size, weight. You can buy a dummy pack or more batteries if you need more run time. My gripe however is the cost of single LP-E6NH... it should really be cheaper.

Video Limits: not an issue for me, but could see how it can be for others.

Boring Design: This I strongly disagree with. I want/prefer a highly functional and boring design. Give me a black camera that looks like a general EOS/Nikon camera and I'm happy. The camera is a tool, and would prefer it to 'blend in' the surroundings. I don't want my camera to stand out, saying "look at the expensive camera I'm holding". There are actual times I don't mount a big white, due to my surroundings. I'm also one that wishes the RF 70-200mm F4 was black to blend in a bit more.

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
I saw when they posted it and here are my 2 cents on the the 'flaws'...

SD Card Freeze: I almost wonder if this isn't user error. What she described isn't what people here have where they are shooting pictures and the camera locks up. She described how she puts a card in and the camera doesn't work right from that point on. It almost makes me wonder if she is ejecting while in use and it's corrupting the file system. Granted she could have an issue with cards or her camera.. but what she described is just odd... and if I were her, I would rule out cards being an issue by getting a new fast card. My only gripe on the cards is I would have preferred 2 cfx cards.

AF: Agree to some extent... when it's on, it's amazing... when not, you fall back to other means of tracking. But feel this is somewhat par for the course for any camera.

Battery Life: This is a meh imo. Power requirements are what they are, and there is always a balance between runtime, size, weight. You can buy a dummy pack or more batteries if you need more run time. My gripe however is the cost of single LP-E6NH... it should really be cheaper.

Video Limits: not an issue for me, but could see how it can be for others.

Boring Design: This I strongly disagree with. I want/prefer a highly functional and boring design. Give me a black camera that looks like a general EOS/Nikon camera and I'm happy. The camera is a tool, and would prefer it to 'blend in' the surroundings. I don't want my camera to stand out, saying "look at the expensive camera I'm holding". There are actual times I don't mount a big white, due to my surroundings. I'm also one that wishes the RF 70-200mm F4 was black to blend in a bit more.
The SD card thing is the worst. I’ve tried sandisk, Lexar, Sony tough. There are no issues with cfexpress. The card light keeps blinking if there is a sd card. Battery pull and take out the SD has been my fix. I have an extra 256 cfexpress for backup.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
The SD card thing is the worst. I’ve tried sandisk, Lexar, Sony tough. There are no issues with cfexpress. The card light keeps blinking if there is a sd card. Battery pull and take out the SD has been my fix. I have an extra 256 cfexpress for backup.
My SD card in the R5 is a PROGRADE 256GB 300MB READ 250MB WRITE card. I formatted it immediately after initial insertion into the R5. I've never had a problem. I'm careful to never remove or insert the card from the R5 or Prograde CFEXPRESS B/SD reader while under power as I know that can cause damage to cards. I also have Prograde for the CFExpress card with no problems.

I suggest you try Prograde if you think it is a problem with other manufacturer's cards and not a user issue.

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
My SD card in the R5 is a PROGRADE 256GB 300MB READ 250MB WRITE card. I formatted it immediately after initial insertion into the R5. I've never had a problem. I'm careful to never remove or insert the card from the R5 or Prograde CFEXPRESS B/SD reader while under power as I know that can cause damage to cards. I also have Prograde for the CFExpress card with no problems.

I suggest you try Prograde if you think it is a problem with other manufacturer's cards and not a user issue.

I also have the same card, am careful to not remove right away after shutdown, always unmount before pulling out of a reader... and 'knock on wood', I haven't had a lockup yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Kam

Lumix GH5/A7SIII
Aug 27, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
So, is this update really coming or nah?
The R6's main weakpoints are its horrible dynamic range and no dual slot recording.
Dual slot recording I guess I can live without, but crap DR is a no go.

If this firmware is really bringing C Log 3 that should have better DR than CLog right?
Canon needs to hurry. Thismoney is burning a hole in my pocket.

Upvote 0

I use a Prograde memory card and my camera has still locked up multiple times. I don't think my issue is related to the memory card. It seems to lock up when I'm not actually using it. For clarification it seems to lock up when I'm walking around in search of things to take pics of. The camera is on and when I go to take a pic; I find it frozen and the only thing to do is remove the battery.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0