New Firmware Coming for EOS 5D Mark III

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>Over on the <a href="http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14229" target="_blank">Magic Lantern forum</a> a user was trying to install the latest version of the third party software, but was unable to. Their camera has firmware 1.3.3, while Canon has only made version 1.2.3 available on their site. There is no word on what features or fixes have been made available in Canon’s official firmware version 1.3.3.</p>
<p><em>“Few weeks ago I bought a 5D M III. Today I tried to install Magic Latern, but I failed. The firmware version of my camera is 1.3.3, and there was no ML installation file for this version. Then I visited Cannon’s website to download firmware 1.2.3. I tried to install 1.2.3, but my camera said ‘Firmware older than Ver. 1.3.0 is on memory card. Delete old file and update using later version.’. One thing I was surprised about is that there is no firmware 1.3.3 on Cannon’s webpage. It is very strange that my camera is running 1.3.3 firmware.”</em></p>
<p>Source: [<a href="http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14229" target="_blank">Magic Lantern</a>]</p>
<p><em>Image Credit // <a href="https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.xitek.com%2Fthread-1401348-1-1-1.html" target="_blank">Xitek Forum</a></em></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
hmmm....interesting....I just personally dropped my 5DIII off last week at Canon in New Jersey to have it serviced and they only updated my body to v.1.2.3. That is less than two business days ago. I usually keep on top of the software..but the latest update brought nothing to my body or lens quiver....so I had not updated it. They returned it to me and remarked when I picked it up that they had made my firmware current. so....it must only be loading in Japan?

Upvote 0
That's what I like in our "modern world":

Hardware x Software x Firmware x Accessories = Confusion

But I have to admit, that Canon has a remarkable level of compatibility at least with lenses + bodies + accessories. Their more or less conservative handling of product cycles helps sometimes.

Hope you get a solution which allows you to use ML and the 5D iii as you prefer/need it!

Best - Michael

Upvote 0
My philosophy on firmware for anything - computers, cameras, et al - is don't upgrade unless you have a specific reason to. I bought my 5DIII right after it was released and only applied my first firmware update a few weeks ago. My reason for updating was I wanted to use an EyeFi Mobi card and needed a more current firmware version on the camera.

Firmware updates for any electronic device can often come with undetected bugs and induce undesired behaviors. So if your device is operating as intended for you - you're not experiencing any faulty behaviors and you don't need the features included in a firmware update - leave it alone.

Upvote 0

leGreve

Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
Nov 6, 2010
Denmark
vimeo.com
vscd said:
...maybe they just closed the Magic Lantern entry point :-[

My initial thought as well......

There's nothing I'm missing that would give me reason to upgrade to 1.3.3 when it arrives.

But if the ML team reports back that they can still make their awesome software work, then I might give it a go.
Canon ML raw is too good for such a small price that I will do without it :)

Upvote 0
- After assigning the ISO to the SET button you can change the iso from 200 to 25600 by holding the SET button and turning the front dial.
I hope they include the AUTO ISO value as well in that
- Exposure compensation in M mode is SUPER useful
- And also fix the metering of the camera which tends to underexpose half a stop

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
vscd said:
...maybe they just closed the Magic Lantern entry point :-[

Unlikely - if they would want to shut down ML, they'd done so long ago. Looking at the people that use ML, it's mostly enthusiasts who are happy to experiment some - other people will simply buy a 1dx rather than backporting features with ML.

If forced to, ML will simply adapt to the new fw which involves some hourse of work searching for the changed DryOS stub locations.

Mt Spokane Photography said:
It is likely fixing a few obscure bugs, and adding lens compatibility. Adding new features would be a indication that no replacement is coming soon.

I think an important point isn't highlighted enough: You cannot downgrade, afaik that's never been so before(?) and it's "feature" itself enough worth releasing a new fw.

My guess is that this is made to torpedo 3rd party batteries for good, Canon have tested the waters with their new chargers and latest fw versions - and now they feel confident enough to prevent a downgrade for users wanting to keep using non-Canon.

Upvote 0