New Firmware Coming Shortly for EOS 5D Mark IV? [CR1]

Mar 26, 2014
Mikehit said:
Surfwooder said:
I would think many people would be looking for a resolution to the compatibility issues using Sigma lenses.

That's a Sigma issue, not a Canon issue. Why would/should Canon help the competition?

How is this a Sigma issue? Because it's vignetting doesn't Canon's lenses precisely? Because Sigma didn't give Canon the correct profiles and pay Canon to put them in the camera?

Its so easy to fix in post, I wonder why anyone would actually care about those "compatibility issues".

Upvote 0

tron

Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 8, 2011
Antono Refa said:
Mikehit said:
Surfwooder said:
I would think many people would be looking for a resolution to the compatibility issues using Sigma lenses.

That's a Sigma issue, not a Canon issue. Why would/should Canon help the competition?

How is this a Sigma issue? Because it's vignetting doesn't Canon's lenses precisely? Because Sigma didn't give Canon the correct profiles and pay Canon to put them in the camera?

Its so easy to fix in post, I wonder why anyone would actually care about those "compatibility issues".
I didn't know that Canon owes Sigma and they have to give them information about a Canon product...

Upvote 0
Yes Canon can do some pretty market-crashing things only if they asked their firmware department to do, cheaply.

-Focus peaking
-Zebras
-1:1 during capture
-waveform monitor
-1080p 14bit FF Raw video mode
-Smart intervalometer
-complex HDR video
-Customize every button and menu, if wanted
-Focus-point linked metering
-Access to Playback after photo capture
-Increase their video dynamic range by two stops in all modes by adding C-LOG. A simple pre-recording gamma/chroma curve.
-Clean HDMI out to all models
-4:3 anamorphic mode and screen desqueeze
-Various crop modes in HD.
-Silent E-shutter
-Fine adjustment of Frame rate from 0.025p to 60p in 1p increments

I mean A LOT, A WHOOLE LOT

And there are no technical downsides to all of these. None.

I get that FF video would cause overheating, or ugly lineskipping. I know software can't make audio sound better, give faster burst rate without consequences. But there is just SO MUCH they can give with just a firmware upgrade to ALL their camera line (make supercharged rebels' to super 1d's) that would put Canon right in the front of tech geek hype, get extremely higher appeal. So why not? I can't for the life of me, understand why not fo it if you CAN.

The only one reason I can think of is that someone up in the Canon leadership chain believes doing that what hurt higher end models, he should be fired if he/she/they exist. But I don't think someone's that stupid and not in-touch with the real world.

Upvote 0
Josh Denver said:
Yes Canon can do some pretty market-crashing things only if they asked their firmware department to do, cheaply.

-Focus peaking
-Zebras
-waveform monitor
-Smart intervalometer
-complex HDR video
-Increase their video dynamic range by two stops in all modes by adding C-LOG. A simple pre-recording gamma/chroma curve.
-Silent E-shutter

I get that FF video would cause overheating, or ugly lineskipping. I know software can't make audio sound better, give faster burst rate without consequences. But there is just SO MUCH they can give with just a firmware upgrade to ALL their camera line (make supercharged rebels' to super 1d's) that would put Canon right in the front of tech geek hype, get extremely higher appeal. So why not? I can't for the life of me, understand why not fo it if you CAN.

The only one reason I can think of is that someone up in the Canon leadership chain believes doing that what hurt higher end models, he should be fired if he/she/they exist. But I don't think someone's that stupid and not in-touch with the real world.

That's so last year in the Sony camp. The A99ii likely does most of this. The 5div seems sooooo throttled. So, will the 6dii NOT have 4k? When they decide to release that, the 5div will look already dated. Will the 6dii Not have all these features that will keep it up with the competitors? Really want to buy this camera (5div), but dang. Might as well just get a 5d3, I don't see a lot of people crazy thrilled with their camera purchase thus far.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
deadwrong said:
I don't see a lot of people crazy thrilled with their camera purchase thus far.

When was the last time anyone was 'dang thrilled' with an upgrade in the same marque. Quite a few who have bought the 5D4 seem to really appreciate the differences - they may not be ';wow! Fantastic! amazing!" response but it seems to be recognised as being a definite upgrade as a package.

The last time I recall a camera having a huge impact seems to be the Nikon D800 with its sensor and MP count. And before that the 5Dii with its video.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
dilbert said:
Mikehit said:
deadwrong said:

When was the last time anyone was 'dang thrilled' with an upgrade in the same marque. Quite a few who have bought the 5D4 seem to really appreciate the differences - they may not be ';wow! Fantastic! amazing!" response but it seems to be recognised as being a definite upgrade as a package.

The last time I recall a camera having a huge impact seems to be the Nikon D800 with its sensor and MP count. And before that the 5Dii with its video.

And the original 5D.

How could the original 5D be an 'upgrade in the same marque' when it was the start of a new marque? You should at least try to comprehend what you read...well, you probably are trying, but failing as usual. ::)

Actually, I think the 5DIII qualifies – with the exception of the sensor, pretty much everything improved. First time a lower camera got a current 1-series AF system, first dual-slot camera outside of the 1-series, etc.

Upvote 0
Folks, I have to give the Panasonic GH5 serious consideration. It's projected video specs are what a lot of people wanted in the 5DIV. Plus, it will be around $2K. I am a Canon guy with six cameras of various types including 2 5DIII's. Tons of lenses. But I am not buying the 5DIV. I will wait for the actual GH5 to be released and reviews written, of course. I know this -- the GH4 is still a great camera and it is over 2 years old.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Josh Denver said:

-Focus peaking
-Zebras
-waveform monitor
-Smart intervalometer
-complex HDR video
-Silent E-shutter

I think you need to get back in touch with the real world if you think that's even close to a) being done in just firmware and b) cheaply

about the only thing your post did was clearly identify that you have no idea really what you are talking about. just because ML did it on the 5D Mark 3 for 1K has no bearing whether or not they can even attempt to do anything associative with the newer sensors and the Mark IV.

ML also doesn't have to support the f'ing thing either and is brittle as hell.

good grief.

PS .. you really don't know what CLOG is .. right?

Upvote 0
While my Mark IV does not tend to underexpose as my Mark III often does in sunlight, I have been experiencing the occasional overexposure in a series of shots of the same subjects in the same lighting without my having made any adjustments. I had seen comments about the Mark III from other users, so perhaps while fixing that issue in the Mark IV, Canon went a little too far. Hopefully, the firmware addresses this. To be sure, I haven't read of anyone else having the overexposure issue, so perhaps it's only with my camera.

Nick

Upvote 0

DannyPwins

EOS Me
Mar 27, 2016
makowako said:
This may be for an overheating issue when shooting 4K.

I have this camera and shot an ad with it on Sept 14th and can attest shooting 4K gets hot fast, which leads to recording stops at shorter and shorter intervals until the camera cools down.

On my production team was a young man that works at the biggest local pro camera shop in town and said he heard about this issue and was expecting a firmware update for it.

I hope this is what it fixes, anyway.

This is the first time I've heard anyone mention the 5D Mark IV doing this while shooting. I'll be shooting with a 5d4 (using James Miller's "C-log 3") and a 1DC for approximately 5 hours tomorrow, so I hope I don't encounter this issue.

Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
deadwrong said:

I am really liking the Mark IV for several reasons.
I started with the 40D, then on to 50Ds, 7D,5D III, and now the 5DS & Mark IV.
Each has been great for it's time and I upgraded as my interests changed.
I have no interest in video features, these were bought as still cameras. I had my own video production company from 1983 to 2007. If you have used a professional video camera, it's difficult to view the DSLR as a video camera.
If Canon offered the Mark IV without any video capability, I'd still be totally satisfied.

I couldn't image what would happen if Canon ended the video functions in the 5D line.
I know this forum would crash due to high traffic. Haters would hate and trolls wouldn't have anything to compare their Sony's video quality to.

Life would be good with interesting forum discussions on still cameras.

My roots in photography go way back. My display cabinet is my history.

Old cameras of mine by Keith Breazeal, on Flickr

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
KeithBreazeal said:
If you have used a professional video camera, it's difficult to view the DSLR as a video camera.

Everyone seems to have forgotten about ergonomics :) There is a very good reason why stills cameras are shaped the way they are, and an equally good reason why video cameras are they shape they are....

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
KeithBreazeal said:
If you have used a professional video camera, it's difficult to view the DSLR as a video camera.

Everyone seems to have forgotten about ergonomics :) There is a very good reason why stills cameras are shaped the way they are, and an equally good reason why video cameras are they shape they are....

Yup! Switches, knobs, dials, filter wheels, a real viewfinder, XLR, etc.
It never overheated and would record for hours. Is still have this antique. :eek:

Kirkwood Freestyle Championship © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal, on Flickr

Upvote 0
nickditoro said:
While my Mark IV does not tend to underexpose as my Mark III often does in sunlight, I have been experiencing the occasional overexposure in a series of shots of the same subjects in the same lighting without my having made any adjustments. I had seen comments about the Mark III from other users, so perhaps while fixing that issue in the Mark IV, Canon went a little too far. Hopefully, the firmware addresses this. To be sure, I haven't read of anyone else having the overexposure issue, so perhaps it's only with my camera.

Nick

Mine is too. I have been taking shots with -1/3 to -2/3EV.

Nevertheless, the test with my 100-400 turns out to be tack sharp!

Upvote 0
KeithBreazeal said:
If Canon offered the Mark IV without any video capability, I'd still be totally satisfied.

I couldn't image what would happen if Canon ended the video functions in the 5D line.
I know this forum would crash due to high traffic. Haters would hate and trolls wouldn't have anything to compare their Sony's video quality to.

Life would be good with interesting forum discussions on still cameras.

+1

In the three years I had it I have made maybe as much videos on my 5D3. Only short clips on a vacation, actually. So far, I have made not a single video with the 1DXII. I really don't understand all this fuzz about the newer camera bodies missing this, or lacking that...it's a stills camera primarily and that's what I use it for. The video features are a nice bonus in the package if I ever need it someday, but nothing that influences what body I buy!

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 9, 2014
Surfwooder said:

I believe Sigma has released a statement to the affect that when using their lenses on the 5D Mk IV and DX II Canon bodies that one has to go into the camera menus and disable the auto lens correction settings that apparently are set at the factory (to recognize and correct for aberration, distortion, etc, for Canon lenses) in order for Sigma (and possibly other 3rd party autofocus) lenses to work properly.

Upvote 0
KeithBreazeal said:

Being consequential would be better than this attempt that just seem to anger the video crowd. I would be fine if they did away with video, but then please: Drop the price. There is nothing then justifing this price point.

Make it 2500$ and keep your video, dual pixel raw and AA filter.

Upvote 0
I've been pondering on why Canon would bother with a firmware update that primarily targets third party lenses and improving their functionality, and while I may not have found the answer, I'll throw it out there.

The 5DIV needs third party lenses more than other 5D bodies for one specific reason: that crop factor in 4K video recording. Many have noted that it makes shooting wide angle 4K video very difficult, and there is the challenge that Canon lenses built for crop (APS-C) won't physically mount.

But you know what will? Third party crop lenses (they have an EF rather than EF-S mount). One very popular one is the 18-35 ART from Sigma. There are some quality wide angle primes and zooms that are designed for APS-C and will physically mount fine, and thus, when shooting 4K video, the crop will eliminate any part of the frame where the full frame image circle is not covered.

Upvote 0
I think it is only going to address a seemingly growing problem of out of focus or soft focus images coming out of the IV. I keep reading more and more complaints about this. Canon will probably only fix this issue unless there are more issues. Dream on about better 4k video or any other improvements. If Magic Lantern is eventually made available for the IV, then we'll see some really cool new features that Canon could have put in but decided not to!

Upvote 0
FramerMCB said:
Surfwooder said:

I believe Sigma has released a statement to the affect that when using their lenses on the 5D Mk IV and DX II Canon bodies that one has to go into the camera menus and disable the auto lens correction settings that apparently are set at the factory (to recognize and correct for aberration, distortion, etc, for Canon lenses) in order for Sigma (and possibly other 3rd party autofocus) lenses to work properly.

My Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro had a horrible white ring around the edges of the images when shooting in telephoto mode. I asked Sigma to fix it and they told me to turn off the auto lens correction settings and see what happens. Sure enough, the white ring was gone! I guess Sigma lenses don't do well with Canon's built in correction. I'll have to remember to turn it off on the Mark IV as well.

Upvote 0