New Firmware coming to the Canon EOS R

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
Honestly, I think $2.000 is way overpriced for R6. I mean all it offers is 4K 60fps...cameras with those capabilities are priced at $1.200-$1.300 by the competition. GH5 is around $1.300 and it had those capabilities since 2017 (4k60fps, 10bit video, 20MP photos)... so exactly in R6 range.

Honestly, I am waiting to see if Canon prices its cameras according to the competition, but if they will go for $1.400+ on R6 I am going with competition. For $2.000 I can get brand new camera+gimbal+ND filter from competition. And even better, a 6K video camera from Black Magic, if I were only buying for video capabilities.

Well GH5 has two massive strikes against it; its Micro 4/3 and it has really really bad focusing issues.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
And a similar feature to that: software limited focus ranges. Being able to set a range like "10-12m" would do wonders for dragonflies in flight.

That's probably a "want" specific to way too few shooters than something that would make it worth Canon's trouble or cost to implement.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I hope they’ll fix the issue that I can’t set ISO to Auto when the camera is in metering mode (after half pressing the shutter button). I really love the Touch Bar (unlike others) but this bug is incredibly annoying.

I also hope they’ll improve the Fv (flexible priority) mode. It’s an amazing idea but if I only could reprogram the back controller and set it to something else than switching between parameters. There are four controls, I could set each parameter to one controller but now I can’t.

And since the R doesn’t have fix number of modes (Av, Tv, M,...) they could allow for higher number of custom modes (C1, C2, ...) and make it possible to name them! How cool would it be to have my own modes like Portrait, Timelapse, Night sky, Landscape, Sport, Planes or whatever. And ideally when I could chose what parameters are custom and which ones are inherited from the main mode. This would make me buy a new camera.

They'd probably have a lot of people complain if they were given the opportunity to accidentally change to AUTO ISO after they thought they had already locked in exposure with a shutter half press.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

He's probably talking about how long it takes for AI Servo AF to do its thing between frames. The R can only hit about 3 fps when in AI Servo AF and refocusing between each frame. The 5D Mark IV can handle 8 fps with AI Servo AF refocusing between each frame with no sweat.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I just piss on the bush, tree, ground, rock, whatever. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I'm with you on that one. Why carry a bottle full of it around to leak on your clothing and gear? It's not like the other wildlife don't pee (and more) on the ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Maybe the lockdown has me more cynical than usual, but why would a company add new features to a camera now? It has two new cameras coming out next month!

Canon hasn't said they are adding new features to the EOS R.

Irrational dreamers have unrealistic hopes that Canon will make the camera those irrational dreamers already bought as good, or almost as good, as the new one Canon wants folks to buy. Those irrational dreamers hope this so that those irrational dreamers won't have to buy the new camera.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Now its usually a case of "what you get is what you see". From a marketing sense, there would be benefits in selling "what you get is what you want (even if not currently available)". So to change a buyer's thinking from "I won't buy the R6 because it doesn't have an intervalometer" to "I will buy the R6 because they will probably add an intervalometer"
Adding features to the R won't kill sales of the new cameras as they don't really compete with the R.
The R was always a developmental / experimental camera, so they could trial features before including them in the R5 and R6.
So here's hoping.

Any features going into the R5 and R6 are already in place. It's currently almost July 1. Those bodies are already beginning to ship to the Canon regionals if they're going to be at retailers in August and September.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Honestly, I think $2.000 is way overpriced for R6. I mean all it offers is 4K 60fps...cameras with those capabilities are priced at $1.200-$1.300 by the competition. GH5 is around $1.300 and it had those capabilities since 2017 (4k60fps, 10bit video, 20MP photos)... so exactly in R6 range.

Honestly, I am waiting to see if Canon prices its cameras according to the competition, but if they will go for $1.400+ on R6 I am going with competition. For $2.000 I can get brand new camera+gimbal+ND filter from competition. And even better, a 6K video camera from Black Magic, if I were only buying for video capabilities.

Then buy a video only camera. Remind me again what is the size of the sensor in the GH5? How about the BM Pocket Cinema, how big is that sensor?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
GH5 = Micro 4/3. R6 = FF. GH5 is "not exactly" in the R6 range. Black Magic is also M43. Just saying. I like to compare apples to apples. Perhaps you meant the Panasonic Lumix DC-S1 L mount @1,997.99 after the $500 rebate and shoots in 6k?

Black Magic Pocket Cinema is actually Super 35.

Super 35 must be larger than regular 35mm, right?!?!? :rolleyes: ;):ROFLMAO:;):rolleyes:

Seriously, It's APS-C wide but only Micro Four-thirds tall.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Black Magic Pocket Cinema is actually Super 35.

Super 35 must be larger than regular 35mm, right?!?!? :rolleyes: ;):ROFLMAO:;):rolleyes:

Seriously, It's APS-C wide but only Micro Four-thirds tall.
Ahhh... I was looking at their 4k model... micro 4/3... since he was mentioning cameras in the $1,200 - $1,300 range. The 6k super 35 is $1,995.00. I think his perspective and ire are off base and confused.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Tell us how IBIS is so fantastically superior to IS, especially the newer versions, thank you. I have never in the 40+ years of photography or 21 years of Canon dslr's once shared the sentiment that I could not live without stabilization. When I have used it for particular shooting scenarios it was helpful in getting 'some' shots but if I do not have the skills and have to rely on the body to perform magick.....Sorry, I'd rather be worth my weight with an understanding of light and movement and not the gear. Both is ideal of course.
I bought a SIRUI monopod just to be able to use a bit lower ISO with my beloved ef 135mm f/2L on the R. (I'm fine with shorter focal lengths, i.e. 50mm and 85mm, that have no IS, but the 135mm has been a camera-shake thorn for me--even when it was on the 5DIV.) It will be interesting to see if/how much this focal length benefits from IBIS. (If I can ever again justify a $3500+ body!)

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I am second on this one. This feature should have been in R from day one.
I'm surprised they left that out. Does it not even have a time-lapse movie setting? My G cameras don't have an interval timer for stills, but do have a couple of time-lapse movie modes. In addition to that, my 6D2 has a regular interval shooting mode for stills. So it is not arcane technology foreign to Canon.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com

If you dont consider that the GH5 has tiny sesnor (M43) by comparison and no one uses it for stills... sure $2000 seems like a lot. The reality is that the R6 will still be purchased heavily and put in use primarily for stills work. The robust feature set for video is a very nice and welcomed addition. The target market will snatch this camera up like candy. I would gladly pay $600+ more for this vs the Panasonic. Gladly.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
If you dont consider that the GH5 has tiny sesnor (M43) by comparison and no one uses it for stills... sure $2000 seems like a lot. The reality is that the R6 will still be purchased heavily and put in use primarily for stills work. The robust feature set for video is a very nice and welcomed addition. The target market will snatch this camera up like candy. I would gladly pay $600+ more for this vs the Panasonic. Gladly.
And there are things like GH5 does indeed offer internal 10-bit and 4k60p as written, just not both at the same time

There are still quite a few things we do not know about the R6, which is annoying, considering it was deliberate to generate even more hype - which in this case, might actually be justified, considering it is certainly a product which is not the TOL model yet it reaches that level where it already offers a lot and it really questions if one needs to purchase something higher-end.

I wonder, if the 5K oversampled it not a typo instead of the 5.5K
Does that mean that it is a slightly less wide 16:9 UHD format instead of the full width Cinema 4K like on the 1DX III (or the R5)

If it is not a 1DX III offspring sensor, than maybe the 4k60p remains a 1.4x crop, which would still be fine for the target market, perfect for the Sigma 18-35/1.8 as well (I am sure the A7sIII or A9s will be right in line with the R5, not the R6) or it is still that 5K UHD readout with the AF disabled.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
Tell us how IBIS is so fantastically superior to IS, especially the newer versions, thank you. I have never in the 40+ years of photography or 21 years of Canon dslr's once shared the sentiment that I could not live without stabilization. When I have used it for particular shooting scenarios it was helpful in getting 'some' shots but if I do not have the skills and have to rely on the body to perform magick.....Sorry, I'd rather be worth my weight with an understanding of light and movement and not the gear. Both is ideal of course.

1) IBIS is or can be "always on". In lens IS needs to settle first.
2) IBIS does not "fight" your viewfinder when panning giving a jerking focus action. This is why Canon developed the IS mode that sports and bird shooters mostly prefer where the lens IS only starts as you press the shutter.
3) It brings IS to each and every lens out there - and the majority of Canon primes do not come with lens IS.

That you have no personal need and believe that the same will go for other photographers belies your claim to having any particular understanding of photography - either as a trade or technically.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd love to see an R Mk II with same MP, IBIS, Dual Card Slots and No-Crop 4K. That would be THE perfect camera for me. I don't need an R5 with 8K and 45 MP, but I'm feeling kinda uncomfortable with the 20 MP of the R6. Hopefully, Canon will bring something on the way!
if they are going to release such a mk II then the R6 would almost make no sense anymore... so idk

Upvote 0