New PowerShot(s) for CES Next Week [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p class="p1">With CES in Las Vegas starting next week, expect a few PowerShot cameras from Canon. Below is a specification list we were sent for a high end compact camera. We were told this will be the PowerShot G17, though it could be the previously rumoured large zoom compact that goes with the G1 X Mark II and the G7 X.</p>
<p class="p1"><strong>Specifications</strong></p>
<ul>
<li class="p1">1″ Sensor</li>
<li class="p1">24-200 f/1.4-2.0 IS Lens</li>
<li class="p1">All magnesium body</li>
<li class="p1">Bright 1.3mp 3.2″ LCD</li>
<li class="p1">GPS</li>
<li class="p1">Wifi</li>
</ul>
<p class="p1"><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
9VIII said:
That's kind of weak for a superzoom, and not much on the wide end either, but if it has excellent IQ (especially at f2) then I guess it still has potential.
Compared to the competition, it's class leading. There are currently two 1" sensored large zoom cameras out there.

The Sony RX10 with a 24-200 equivalent zoom, and a fixed f2.8 aperture. This rumoured spec clearly beats that.

And then there's the Panasonic FZ1000 with a 25-400 equivalent lens with a variable f2.8 to f4 aperture. This rumoured camera only has half the telephoto reach, but it lets in four times as much light at full zoom.

Upvote 0
I'd love a G17 with those specs. My G11 was one of my all time favorite hiking Camera's with it's pocketable size and 1cm macro, although I would not expect 1cm on a 1 inch sensor. Been thinking about a G7X but if there's a 1 inch G17 coming I will get that instead as long as its no bigger than my old G11, which was a perfect fit for my jeans or shorts pocket.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
tyger11 said:
I don't think we're ever going to see a 24-200mm (equiv) with an aperture range of anything remotely like f/1.4-2, but keep on dreaming, you crazy kids! I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, but this seems ridiculously unrealistic.
It is not too crazy, 1" snsor has a mutiplication of 3 for focal length. Therefore 200mm equals 67mm. Therfore the front element can be about 34mm in diameter or just slighly larger. It is a piece of cake. The question is how much will Canon charge us and how fast is the AF.

Upvote 0
Let's just hope it doesn't suffer Canonitis. :-[

rs said:
9VIII said:
That's kind of weak for a superzoom, and not much on the wide end either, but if it has excellent IQ (especially at f2) then I guess it still has potential.
Compared to the competition, it's class leading. There are currently two 1" sensored large zoom cameras out there.

The Sony RX10 with a 24-200 equivalent zoom, and a fixed f2.8 aperture. This rumoured spec clearly beats that.

And then there's the Panasonic FZ1000 with a 25-400 equivalent lens with a variable f2.8 to f4 aperture. This rumoured camera only has half the telephoto reach, but it lets in four times as much light at full zoom.

Upvote 0
Austin said:
Solar Eagle said:
...my old G11, which was a perfect fit for my jeans or shorts pocket.

I'd like to see a picture of that.

Cargo shorts or Levi's 569 both with 34" waist. I'd put the G11 in my left pocket, keys in my right, and my phone at the time fit in my watch pocket. Roamed all over the state parks around here like that. Was really comfy/balanced and hardly noticed it was on me.

Got rid of the G11 for the G1X and got rid of my G1X for EOS M. Mostly now I hand hold my 6D 24-70 f4 when I'm out but it doesn't go with me as often since it ties up a hand, which is why I'd be interested in a 1" G17 as long as its not larger than a G11. I was able to stuff the G1X in but was way to tight and not comfortable at all.....

Upvote 0